Childminders and when does my son start school

Guest gormusoglu

Guest gormusoglu

Hi me again, just trying to find out about my youngest of 3 years old when he starts school etc. and childcare whilst I am at college/work.

I've looked at the childcare options website and don't see any childminder options listed. Are there none in adelaide? The home care looks more like for children with additional needs and is really expensive. also, it's in your own home.

Does anyone know of any minders and how much they charge per hour? Or nanny's that would come to hour home?

Also, posted on another thread but forgot I shouldn't hijack it, so my other question is my sons DOB is Feb2010. He starts Nursery in england in September, Reception in Sept 2014. When would he start full time school in Oz and do you have a state type free nursery in Adelaide?

Any info grateful xx

Edited by snifter

Hi snifter, is pre-school like england's nursery where you get a certain amount of free sessions? Or is it private?

Thanks

I didn't really research kindy as our son will be past that. I know once they get to 4 there can be some funding but I don't know exactly what etc.

Kindy for aged 4 till school is a bit more like reception for UK kids as I understand it.

Hi there

I can 2nd Snifters input..

I am a Family Day Provider here in Adelaide (I am an Early Years Teacher) - if you do a search for Family Day Care you will then find all the info.

Please feel free to ask any questions with regard to FDC and I will be able to assist. I work from my home here in Stonyfell and have been doing this for 19 years

cheers

Fiona

Guest gormusoglu

Hi Bailey, thanks for replying. So is an Early Years Teacher what we call a childminder over here? Basically you follow a foundation stage type curriculum but the care is in your own home?

I will be looking for part time care whilst I am college possibly two days, can i ask how much an average FDC charges? Do you charge by hour or session? I am hoping it will only be for my 3 year old, possibly to collect him from pre-school. However, it may be that I need my other two 10 and 7 to be picked up from school occasionally, unless there are after school clubs I suppose at their school.

Also, I am a childminder here in England. If after the course i can't find work, i may look into becoming an FDC for a while, is it quite easy to set up and much work about?

Thanks, any info greatly received.

Adrienne

Guest gormusoglu

Also, sorry Bailey, do you know if part time pre-school is free? I'm stillnot sure. i have searched on line loads, theres hints that you at some stage you get free sessions, but it doesn't actually say what you get.

Thanks

Hi Adrienne

FDC educators are like Childminders in the UK - I just choose to come under FDC rather than pre-school. Here in Adelaide you have to be a qualified EY Teacher if you wish to work in a Pre-school....

I think that once children are 4 they do receive 'free education' as in 15 hrs a week (similar to UK but UK offers this at 3 to my knowledge)

I am extremely busy with work in my area although FDC is not as possible as it is in the UK....things are changing though!

I will PM you with further info!

Fiona