Private school costs

Guest twinfamily

Guest twinfamily

Hi all,

I am having a look at a few private primary schools and I'm quite shocked at the variations of cost. St Andrews in walkerville seems impressive but $18,000 for year 6 seems rather expensive?

is this quite the norm for Adelaide? We may have to rethink our options. Can anyone recommend any private schools in the eastern/northeaster suburbs that may be a bit cheaper?

my current list includes st Andrews/ st ignatius/ st Joseph's memorial Norwood/ kings baptist primary in Wynn vale/ st David's parish tea tree gully / st Joseph's payneham/ st Monica's walkerville.

Anyone have any opinions/experience with these schools /prices etc?

ive emailed all the schools but think everyone's on their Easter break?

thanks

jessica

Guest AngPhil

The private schools really range in price, from under $4K to $20K. Don't let it put you off, you are best visiting the schools you are interested in when the kids are in to see if it is for your family.

The private schools really range in price, from under $4K to $20K. Don't let it put you off, you are best visiting the schools you are interested in when the kids are in to see if it is for your family.

Sound advice wait until you get here get yourself sorted and go look round. Private schools are generally easier to afford here and you can get a school card (not sure what discounts you get) which helps towards private school costs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Popestar

Hi Jessica

We had a reccie to Adelaide in march to look for a school for our two children. Out of the ones you mention we looked at st ignatious, st Joseph's memorial Norwood and st Joseph's payneham. The two st Joseph's are only about $3k per year per child. St ignatious was a lot more, something like $9k ish. I was looking at year 1 prices.

We really liked them all but can't afford at ignatious. We have enrolled our kids at st Joseph's memorial in Norwood. The one in payneham was a bit smarter but Norwood had a great feel to it and right in the area we want to live.

We are moving over at the start of August and they will start a few weeks later.

I hope you find something that works for your family too!

​karen

Is there a reason you are looking at private rather than state schools? There are some pretty good state primaries around if you are in the right areas. And some pretty good state senior schools as well. My understanding of the private schools (based mostly on my husbands knowledge of the system and what I've read on here) is that the really 'good' non catholic schools cost a small fortune and the catholic schools tend to cost less than non catholic schools. What makes a good school though really depends on your kids. The schools that get the best results can probably justify charging the higher fee, but these schools might not be the best choice for all kids. My experience of people with kids is that they tend to send there kids to private school either because they are not happy with the local state school, because they want their kids to go to a school with a more religious focus or simply because they want to give their kids the best possible education and can afford the fees of the top schools.

I'd agree with the others - wait until you get here and have a good look round. Also check out the local state schools to see if they might actually offer the best option for your circumstances. Don't assume that private is always better as it really depends on the individual school and the individual child.

Above posts are spot on.

Schools fit into a few categories.: State schools, non fee paying except for small annual fee for stationary etc of around $200-$300 for primary school; Catholic schools; other denominational ( baptist, Lutheran, C of E etc and non-denominational schools (Pembroke).

On the whole, the catholic schools tend to be lower priced, but there are exceptions.

Other things to consider

There are some excellent state primary schools in the north-east region. Our son went to Highbury primary which has a good reputation. Many people choose state primary then private secondary.

Some schools you have listed are R(reception) - Yr12, while some are primary only. This can affect costs but also issues such as moving schools for high school.

The schools you have listed are of various denominations. Is this important to you, do you wish your children to have a particular religious education or a non-denominational one? The schools accept students from any denomination but the church services they attend will of course reflect the denomination of the school.

High school in Adelaide starts at Year 8 (kids aged 12-13yrs). Private schools tend to run on junior, (R-6) middle (7-9) and senior (10 -12). Some schools have major intake at Yr7 and it is pretty well impossible to get in there at later years (Kings Baptist for example) while others have big intake at Yr 8 as well and really support students entering at this stage. (Our experience with our son moving to Rostrevor College in Yr 8 this year).

Some private schools are co-ed and some are single sex.

Some schools facilities focus on different strengths of the students - do yours have any particular interests or skills? This is the same for state and private schools. What co-curricular activities do they offer, what language(s) do they teach etc. Are they academic focused or do they strive to allow each student to reach their potential in something they are good at, be it music, sport, environment?

When looking at the cost factor also consider uniform and extras. This can add $1000 per yr to private much less for state.

My advice reflects that of others. Visit schools when you get here. You will have your list of 'wants' from a school and you can better judge them in person than on-line.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest twinfamily

hi all,

Thanks very much for all your helpful replies.

It's given me lots to think about.

We would prefer a religious based school is possible - christian/catholic but are not aversed to other possibilites.

There is no special interest we are keen on - as long as the school is well rounded with good teaching support, good facilities and co-ed we are happy!

I guess in the end we will probably settle in either the eastern suburbs/north eastern suburbs and we want to live near the school if possible. Hence our search focussing on schools initially as this will decide a number of other factors.

Looking at other threads of state vs private for primary schools, it all seems much of a muchness? Is it worth spending the money on an expensive private primary or should we save for a private secondary education?

Alternatively, are there any good low-medium cost primary schools that people can recommend in the northeastern/eastern suburbs - ie the ones you send your kids to! :)

Thanks!

jessica

hi all, Thanks very much for all your helpful replies. It's given me lots to think about. We would prefer a religious based school is possible - christian/catholic but are not aversed to other possibilites. There is no special interest we are keen on - as long as the school is well rounded with good teaching support, good facilities and co-ed we are happy! I guess in the end we will probably settle in either the eastern suburbs/north eastern suburbs and we want to live near the school if possible. Hence our search focussing on schools initially as this will decide a number of other factors. Looking at other threads of state vs private for primary schools, it all seems much of a muchness? Is it worth spending the money on an expensive private primary or should we save for a private secondary education? Alternatively, are there any good low-medium cost primary schools that people can recommend in the northeastern/eastern suburbs - ie the ones you send your kids to! :) Thanks! jessica

My husband attended a state primary and then went on to a private school for his senior school. It tends to be common practice to do this from what he says. We plan to do this with our own and hubby would love for son to attend the same senior school as he did (it ain't cheap thats for sure :wacko:) but if not that one, then hopefully another. He'll do all his primary education in a state school though. I think we also give him enough outside of school to help round him out as he grows.

We don't have any interest in the religious based aspect of schools so that is not a major factor for us. Catholic schools are out for us for sure. Although the senior school we have our eye on has a faith, it isn't something we follow and its not a criteria to gain entrance or anything. And isn't a major thing within the school teachings etc either from what I can gather.

My thing with kids at school in primary level is that a happy kid will generally do well wherever they are (provided within a decent setting but it doesn't have to cost $18,000 or even $4,000 a year. It can be free of school fees). They may not be the brightest or anything but they will do well for themselves and learn and develop. You can send your kid to the very best school based on academics but if they are not happy, they may well not do as well learning or personally. Find the school that works for your kids. If its a paid one, so be it. If its a state school, even better as you are not parting with a large amount of dosh.

My two go to Stradbroke Primary (state school) in Rostrevor which I've been really pleased with. We also considered Magil primary and Burnside primary but ruled both out because we didn't think we'd be able to afford to buy a house we like in those areas. We also considered Banksia Park (too far away from my Mother in Law) and the primaries in the Tea Tree gully area (same thing). We had already ruled a lot of other areas out because of the senior schools they were zoned for as we weren't sure if we could afford private senior schools. My oldest is in year six now so this was a fairly pressing issue for us.

As far as finding schools go I suggest having a look at myschool.edu.au and also at the school's own websites. The myschool website will list the schools in the area, gives access to the Naplan results and links to the school's own website. You can get quite a feel for the school from the website especially if you have a look at the policies, newsletters and context statement that are quite often available online. The private schools will probably even send you an information pack, although possibly not to an overseas address but worth a try. Once you get here arrange to go and have a look round the schools you are interested in to get a feel for the place. It will also then give you a chance to check out the different areas for living in as there is no point in picking a school if you really don't like the surrounding areas and would prefer to live in an area some distance away.

Guest Guest12727

School cards provide fee and other costs assistance for extremely low income earners. Most people on a school card would never afford private school fees, despite the discounted fee it brings.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Education,+skills+and+learning/Financial+help,+scholarships+and+grants/School+card+scheme/School+card+eligibility+and+proof+of+income

Guest Wellse

Hi, if you can wait until you get here its worth having a look at both state and private, some parents of children at the school my child attends previously sent them to a private school and were not happy with the school and have felt it was not worth paying for there education privately when you could get just as good or even better in some cases in the state schools. I know every child is different and thrives in different environments, but generally eastern suburbs the state schools are of high standards, including some of the high schools. As long as you are living in the catchment area the school has to take your child. Is different compared to uk! Good luck with it all ,I know how stressful it is! you just want your children to be happy and in the best environment for them.

• 5 months later...
Above posts are spot on.

Schools fit into a few categories.: State schools, non fee paying except for small annual fee for stationary etc of around $200-$300 for primary school; Catholic schools; other denominational ( baptist, Lutheran, C of E etc and non-denominational schools (Pembroke).

On the whole, the catholic schools tend to be lower priced, but there are exceptions.

Other things to consider

There are some excellent state primary schools in the north-east region. Our son went to Highbury primary which has a good reputation. Many people choose state primary then private secondary.

Some schools you have listed are R(reception) - Yr12, while some are primary only. This can affect costs but also issues such as moving schools for high school.

The schools you have listed are of various denominations. Is this important to you, do you wish your children to have a particular religious education or a non-denominational one? The schools accept students from any denomination but the church services they attend will of course reflect the denomination of the school.

High school in Adelaide starts at Year 8 (kids aged 12-13yrs). Private schools tend to run on junior, (R-6) middle (7-9) and senior (10 -12). Some schools have major intake at Yr7 and it is pretty well impossible to get in there at later years (Kings Baptist for example) while others have big intake at Yr 8 as well and really support students entering at this stage. (Our experience with our son moving to Rostrevor College in Yr 8 this year).

Some private schools are co-ed and some are single sex.

Some schools facilities focus on different strengths of the students - do yours have any particular interests or skills? This is the same for state and private schools. What co-curricular activities do they offer, what language(s) do they teach etc. Are they academic focused or do they strive to allow each student to reach their potential in something they are good at, be it music, sport, environment?

When looking at the cost factor also consider uniform and extras. This can add $1000 per yr to private much less for state.

My advice reflects that of others. Visit schools when you get here. You will have your list of 'wants' from a school and you can better judge them in person than on-line.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

Hi, you mentioned that your son has joined Rostrevor College and I was wondering if there was any feedback you had about the school both positive and negative. We are looking to start him next year there (moving from GC in dec). Our son has always been in co-ed and is a fair bit apprehensive about being in a "boys school"!!

Thanks

Hi, you mentioned that your son has joined Rostrevor College and I was wondering if there was any feedback you had about the school both positive and negative. We are looking to start him next year there (moving from GC in dec). Our son has always been in co-ed and is a fair bit apprehensive about being in a "boys school"!!

Thanks

Hi Ritu,

Yes our son started there this year in Yr8. We really have nothing negative to say about the school. They made a great effort to settle and integrate the new boys and he has a wide circle of friends. He is involved in so many co-curricular activities we are thrilled as he hasn't tended to be one to get involved with anything extra at primary school. He also came from co-ed primary but it doesn't seem to matter. The school organises a Friday night disco (is that what they are called these days?) with several girls schools invited, once per term. He also comes up against girls through debating, chess and tennis competitions, so does get some chances to interact with them. There are also plenty of female teachers.

From what we can tell, standard of teachers is pretty good and he has enough challenge and interest in academic work. They are pretty strict on dress code and behavioural expectations, which we think is a good thing. The school leadership seems very strong and there is a very strong sense of community.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Morning All,

At first i'll give you all a big THANKS for the thread.

I live in the south part of the city and looking for a private school for my boy, entry level will be "early learning"; any idea? Also, anyone knows the fee schedule for early learning centre at Westminster school at Marion.

Any comments are highly appreciable.

Thanks,

some of the ones you are mentioning are in pretty exclusive areas which fantastic private schools we lived in both walkerville and near the st Ignatius college, they would be expensive but my kids are not private so cannot comment on the costs but theres a hell of a lot cheaper than that ones around, say around $80 a month for some

• 2 months later...
hi all,

Thanks very much for all your helpful replies.

It's given me lots to think about.

We would prefer a religious based school is possible - christian/catholic but are not aversed to other possibilites.

There is no special interest we are keen on - as long as the school is well rounded with good teaching support, good facilities and co-ed we are happy!

I guess in the end we will probably settle in either the eastern suburbs/north eastern suburbs and we want to live near the school if possible. Hence our search focussing on schools initially as this will decide a number of other factors.

Looking at other threads of state vs private for primary schools, it all seems much of a muchness? Is it worth spending the money on an expensive private primary or should we save for a private secondary education?

Alternatively, are there any good low-medium cost primary schools that people can recommend in the northeastern/eastern suburbs - ie the ones you send your kids to! :)

Thanks!

jessica

Hi, Did you sort a school for your children?

Do you have any advice on your findings? We visited in Dec/Jan and checked out a few schools (for our move in July 14) ... In the end we have decided (we think) on Temple Christian College (Mile End) - which, although in the city (near Adelaide High) has are very good transport links - as well as the high academic standards, sporting options and great faith values. It will cost us about $6k per year for our son (year 9).

Look forward to hearing what you found,

Blessings, Sarah