Brighton area primary schools

Guest Banksy

Guest Banksy

Sorry to hijack the thread...

I am looking at moving out the 1st week in August with my wife and daughter arriving mid September.

I have been looking at Brighton Primary but realise there is no guarantee we will find a rental property in the zone. I have also looked at the other schools close by such as Warradale & Paringa Park.

My question is should I enroll my daughter in all of the schools in the locality and then make the final decision when we've found the house we wan't to live in.

My daughter is 5 in July so am I correct in thinking she would be able to start term 4 in October? I read on the Poms in Oz forum that she wouldn't be able to start until next year?!

Edited by Banksy

Sorry to hijack the thread...

I am looking at moving out the 1st week in August with my wife and daughter arriving mid September.

I have been looking at Brighton Primary but realise there is no guarantee we will find a rental property in the zone. I have also looked at the other schools close by such as Warradale & Paringa Park.

My question is should I enroll my daughter in all of the schools in the locality and then make the final decision when we've found the house we wan't to live in.

My daughter is 5 in July so am I correct in thinking she would be able to start term 4 in October? I read on the Poms in Oz forum that she wouldn't be able to start until next year?!

You won't be able to enrol till you are resident in Adelaide and if the school is zoned, then living in the zone and able to show a year lease on a property (for zoned Paringa for sure they ask for this now).

Warradale isn't a zoned primary but you still can't enrol till living in Adelaide. Both Paringa and Warradale primaries are lovely schools. Paringa is about double in size. The zone for it is very small and they will insist on a year lease before they accept your child.

If your daughter turns 5 in July she can start the term after. So yes, the last term of the year in reception although she may be asked to repeat reception along with all the other kids who started school in terms 3 and 4 (which is normal practice as its those who begin in terms 1&2 go up to year 1).

I'm also going to split your post and replies to it out of this thread and give them a thread of their own.

ETA - PIO people may not realise that SA is still the only state with staggered intake till 2014 when a one size fits all intake is rolled out. Currently children in SA primary start reception the term after they turn 5. Those in the last two terms will (generally) repeat reception and therefore do a total of 6 terms of reception before moving into Y1 and a normal 4 term year each year after. This is quite normal.

Edited by snifter

Guest Banksy
You won't be able to enrol till you are resident in Adelaide and if the school is zoned, then living in the zone and able to show a year lease on a property (for zoned Paringa for sure they ask for this now).

Warradale isn't a zoned primary but you still can't enrol till living in Adelaide. Both Paringa and Warradale primaries are lovely schools. Paringa is about double in size. The zone for it is very small and they will insist on a year lease before they accept your child.

If your daughter turns 5 in July she can start the term after. So yes, the last term of the year in reception although she may be asked to repeat reception along with all the other kids who started school in terms 3 and 4 (which is normal practice as its those who begin in terms 1&2 go up to year 1).

I'm also going to split your post and replies to it out of this thread and give them a thread of their own.

ETA - PIO people may not realise that SA is still the only state with staggered intake till 2014 when a one size fits all intake is rolled out. Currently children in SA primary start reception the term after they turn 5. Those in the last two terms will (generally) repeat reception and therefore do a total of 6 terms of reception before moving into Y1 and a normal 4 term year each year after. This is quite normal.

So if they arrive mid September(I will have secured a rental property by then) will that give us a enough time to enrol before the term starts on October 14th.

So if they arrive mid September(I will have secured a rental property by then) will that give us a enough time to enrol before the term starts on October 14th.

It should although am not sure when the schools break up for the hols in Sept so check the term dates. I'd secure the rental, have the lease to show for the zoned schools and go check them out and see which one appeals.

Guest Banksy
It should although am not sure when the schools break up for the hols in Sept so check the term dates. I'd secure the rental, have the lease to show for the zoned schools and go check them out and see which one appeals.

They break up on Sept 27th. It might be worth me emailing the schools - I suppose a lot depends on the numbers.

Thanks for the info.

Guest Banksy

I have emailed 3 schools to find out a bit more info, I haven't received a reply off any of them!

Could it be because we aren't living there yet?

I have emailed 3 schools to find out a bit more info, I haven't received a reply off any of them!

Could it be because we aren't living there yet?

Did you email during the school holidays recently perhaps? What info were you after?

I'd email them all again and follow it up. Most of the info re the school is usually on their websites though. Unless you are asking specific questions not answered on the sites.

If its about enrolment, they may well not really do much till you are actually there and resident in the suburb etc. The enrolment forms require lots of Aus side info when filled out, not something done while in the UK as a rule.

TBH until you are there there really isn't much to be done. Paringa are most likely to say contact us when resident in the zone and so on. The non zoned schools again, once resident in Adelaide.

Guest Banksy
Did you email during the school holidays recently perhaps? What info were you after?

I'd email them all again and follow it up. Most of the info re the school is usually on their websites though. Unless you are asking specific questions not answered on the sites.

If its about enrolment, they may well not really do much till you are actually there and resident in the suburb etc. The enrolment forms require lots of Aus side info when filled out, not something done while in the UK as a rule.

TBH until you are there there really isn't much to be done. Paringa are most likely to say contact us when resident in the zone and so on. The non zoned schools again, once resident in Adelaide.

I was wondering if there would be sufficient time to enrol my daughter for term 4(Oct 14th) with her arriving mid September.

We didn't get any replies from the uk either. We phoned them once we arrived. We had to push to be shown around as some were reluctant to even show us around unless we were in the zone. Even Paringa was tricky. Brighton completely refused unless we were in their zone and said they'd answe any questions over the phone! Phone when you're here tho! Atb.

Guest Banksy
We didn't get any replies from the uk either. We phoned them once we arrived. We had to push to be shown around as some were reluctant to even show us around unless we were in the zone. Even Paringa was tricky. Brighton completely refused unless we were in their zone and said they'd answe any questions over the phone! Phone when you're here tho! Atb.

What school did you end up sending your daughter to. How have you found it so far.

You can fill in the paper work and have your child start the next day; they're pretty quick here! It doesn't matter to the school if the term has already started.

As for tours and such I have found most schools to be very accommodating and have now been through 5 different tours all with the head giving us between 45-60 minutes of their time. Give them a ring once you are here and are living within zoned boundaries (if the school is zoned) and I'm sure they'll be helpful.

I agree with Flossybeth. The tours are great and usually by the head teacher who will chat to you in their office too. My daughter is at Paringa. Friendly staff and parents. Like a little community. She's very happy there and I'm very happy with her progress.

Guest Banksy

Funnily enough I got a reply this morning!

'Good morning,

Thank you for your enquiry. I just need to let you know we are a zoned school

and you would need to be living in the North Brighton or Somerton Park area for

your daughter to attend here at Paringa Park Primary School. As soon as you

know if you will be living in our zone, please contact me again and I can put

things in place for you.'

She didn't say we wouldn't have time to enrol for term 4 so I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by Banksy