Coorara primary School

Eddie

Hi Guys,

After a bit of advice, I need to get my boys in to school after the holidays, I have viewed 2 completely different schools and both have there pro's & cons. I don't know if my expectations of schools out here are set too high and I am comparing them to much like the UK, the first school was Woodcroft primary, very open & laid back and Morphett Vale primary very much head down & focussed which I quite liked so did the boys, but the only thing that concerned me was there were no English or international kids just all local kids & not sure if this will have an effect on the boys or not????? I am hoping to get a viewing at Coorara primary school has anyone had any involvement with this school? It looks good, so does the feeder high school Wirrenda, but so can anything on screen.

Any advice would be really appreciated even if it is on other Primary schools and their catchment areas as this too seems to be problem.......

Thanks

Tracey

If it's not too harsh, I think that perhaps you should have thought about mixing with Australians before you moved to Australia?

I can't imagine it would have too much of an impact on your children - how old are they? We don't live on that side of Adelaide so I can't comment on those schools in particular but I can tell you that in our experience schools here are very different to UK schools (we've only been here a year, almost). Some people will tell you the schools are not better or worse just different, and given that Australians do turn out to be doctors, engineers etc they can't be too bad, I think it's like everything you have to accept that you are in a foreign country and so they will do things in a different way and hopefully find a school that suits you and your boys. It is another hard decision especially if you had a school you liked in the UK.

If it's not too harsh, I think that perhaps you should have thought about mixing with Australians before you moved to Australia?

I can't imagine it would have too much of an impact on your children - how old are they? We don't live on that side of Adelaide so I can't comment on those schools in particular but I can tell you that in our experience schools here are very different to UK schools (we've only been here a year, almost). Some people will tell you the schools are not better or worse just different, and given that Australians do turn out to be doctors, engineers etc they can't be too bad, I think it's like everything you have to accept that you are in a foreign country and so they will do things in a different way and hopefully find a school that suits you and your boys. It is another hard decision especially if you had a school you liked in the UK.

flossybeth have u made many friends in the year u have been here?????

Yes that was harsh, You have turned it into me not wanting my kids to mix with Ozzy kids and that was NOT what I was getting at!!!!! I am fully aware that the schools are different to the UK and wasn't implying the were any worse, I need to make this Transition as easy as possible, this is another hard decision & getting it right makes everyone happy especially my boys, they are 10 & 11 & very sociable & don't think they will have any trouble settling in whatever school they go to but I asked for advice not sarcastic criticism, especially when we have only been here 2 weeks and well need I say more u know the process!!!! So remind me y did u comment?????? #gocommentonsomeonelsespost#

With all due respect, I don't think Flossybeth's reply was sarcastic at all. Perhaps you could clarify why you think having mostly Australian/local kids at a school would have any bearing on your boys settling in? Australians - even those who have never travelled - are a very welcoming lot, and I am sure would make your boys very welcome. The academic standards will be no different in a school with lots of migrants - in fact, it may even lead to social issues if there is too high a proportion. If the locals choose to send their children to a school, I would have thought that is a very good endorsement of the school. Particularly at primary level, as very few primary schools are zoned, so parents have a lot more choice: it's not like living in a village in England where you have one local school and no other options.

To answer the question, I doubt the mix of children will have any bearing on your children once they get over that initial new environment feeling (in a few days I suspect). Us adults could learn a lot from children (thinking of the state of the adult world in general here).

Guest shella_n

It's funny how we all read things in different ways - I assumed that Tracey was worried about whether the school will have some kind of integration policy and worried in case her boys might get bullied for having accents and not actually saying she doesn't want her kids to intergrate.

tracey - for what it's worth I thought Woodcroft had a high percentage of International kids? I certainly know lots of British kids there. I no honestly can't believe that any schools in the south don't have international kids as there are so many of us Brits around lol. The local kids are used to international kids coming and going - as a mum I honestly would worry about that aspect of it all.

Edited by shella_n

OMG I don't have an issue with my kids going to and all Ozzy school, I just wanted a bit of advice on anyone else in a similar position, & maybe I shouldn't have said concern, I,m sure they are very welcoming and it looked a fantastic school from what I saw,,,,,I suppose my point is that if I did choose that school & my children were finding it hard there would be no other children there that would understand how they were feeling, but in the same respect I'm sure the Ozzy kids would be equally supportive........ Thanks shella_n thanks for the support, it's exactly that people read thing in different ways.......Maybe I should just google my question next time....:(

Guest Guest75

I know Tracey and I had actually said that most schools have some intenational kids and often new kids are buddied up with them. It does help if someone understands what you are going through.

To get back to the original question, in all fairness and in my opinion Coorara may not be the best choice in the area.

My daughter attended there for a few months some years ago and some of the classes just seemed out of control.

I know quite a few other locals who have been unhappy with the school also.

Virtually any school will have some international arrivals in Tracey.

Good luck.

My kids go to a school with a lot of international children and also a lot of Aussie kids who have been taken out of other local schools and moved to their school and I thought it might help them settle as other kids have been in the same boat but I don't think it has made the slightest bit of difference. My youngest has settled really easily - he seems to fit in and get on with all the other kids really well. My oldest has struggled a bit to be honest. My youngest is quite sporty and my oldest isn't sporty in the slightest. The school is quite sporty and a lot of the kids at it are quite sporty as well. How well my kids have, or have not, settled seems to be far more to do with finding like minded souls than being with kids that understand what it's like to be the new kid at school.

I'd suggest choosing the school that seems to be most suited to your kids and where the other kids seem to be interested in the things your kids are interested in. They are more likely to be happy and settle easily if the are on the same wavelength as their peers, regardless of where there peers are from, or how long they have been there.

My kids go to a school with a lot of international children and also a lot of Aussie kids who have been taken out of other local schools and moved to their school and I thought it might help them settle as other kids have been in the same boat but I don't think it has made the slightest bit of difference. My youngest has settled really easily - he seems to fit in and get on with all the other kids really well. My oldest has struggled a bit to be honest. My youngest is quite sporty and my oldest isn't sporty in the slightest. The school is quite sporty and a lot of the kids at it are quite sporty as well. How well my kids have, or have not, settled seems to be far more to do with finding like minded souls than being with kids that understand what it's like to be the new kid at school.

I'd suggest choosing the school that seems to be most suited to your kids and where the other kids seem to be interested in the things your kids are interested in. They are more likely to be happy and settle easily if the are on the same wavelength as their peers, regardless of where there peers are from, or how long they have been there.

Thanks for the advice NicF, I will keep that in mind, both my older boys are sporty and I know if sport is involved they will be ok....

Guest Jo&Phil

If you are looking for a more multi-cultural mix in a school, with all the benefits, that can bring ... you may need to look to a more city centric location. Most schools, I think, have a 'buddy' approach to help new kids settle in and I'm sure your two will soon be enjoying meeting and making new friends.

I suppose my point is that if I did choose that school & my children were finding it hard there would be no other children there that would understand how they were feeling

Maybe I should just google my question next time....:(

I only looked at this thread because I have no idea what Coorara is like and I was interested.

BUT, whilst I have no opinion about Coorara, I would like to put Eddie's mind at rest lol.

I'm with NicF and would totally advise Eddie to choose the school based on whether the school 'fits' her kids and not how many international kids there are there. The schools all (the ones I do know lol!) seem to make every effort to ensure the kids are ok and if the school suits your children in terms of education and extra-curricular activities, whether there's an OSHC or not etc, I'd strongly advise you to go for it!

It would be nice to think that if there were other recent migrant kids that they would understand and look after your littlies but I don't think it works like that 'cos I don't think kids tend to be that full of empathy lol. I would also guess that your children will probably meet pommie kids through you, assuming you don't give up on us on PiA, and I'm sure they would totally understand.

It's only my opinion but I was keen for my kids to submerge themselves in their new life. We were pleased that there weren't any other British kids at their primary school (not the case any more as there seem to be heaps now. Not a bad thing, just the way it is.) They quickly made friends, the sporty kid joined various clubs and life went on pretty much as before but in a new country. Which was just what we wanted!

It's hard being a caring parent but try not to worry too much. I'm sure they'll be fine.

:wubclub: LC

flossybeth have u made many friends in the year u have been here?????

Yes that was harsh, You have turned it into me not wanting my kids to mix with Ozzy kids and that was NOT what I was getting at!!!!! I am fully aware that the schools are different to the UK and wasn't implying the were any worse, I need to make this Transition as easy as possible, this is another hard decision & getting it right makes everyone happy especially my boys, they are 10 & 11 & very sociable & don't think they will have any trouble settling in whatever school they go to but I asked for advice not sarcastic criticism, especially when we have only been here 2 weeks and well need I say more u know the process!!!! So remind me y did u comment?????? #gocommentonsomeonelsespost#

I'm sorry you took such offence to my comment but I had thought that the second part of the reply was helpful. I commented because I have three children who have had to go to school here so I was giving you some background regarding our settling into school. As I said previously I hope you find a school your boys are happy with.

I'm sorry you took such offence to my comment but I had thought that the second part of the reply was helpful. I commented because I have three children who have had to go to school here so I was giving you some background regarding our settling into school. As I said previously I hope you find a school your boys are happy with.

Maybe I was a bit sharp in my reply to u 2,but considering we have only been here 2weeks and needed some advice thinking what better place than PIA then only to be pulled to pieces :( funny how people read things in different ways......I did however get some lovely support with other comments and PM's from people giving good advice....didn't mean to be cheeky just i was a little taken back from your comment....no hard feelings!

thanks Tracey...

Maybe I was a bit sharp in my reply to u 2,but considering we have only been here 2weeks and needed some advice thinking what better place than PIA then only to be pulled to pieces :( funny how people read things in different ways......I did however get some lovely support with other comments and PM's from people giving good advice....didn't mean to be cheeky just i was a little taken back from your comment....no hard feelings!

thanks Tracey...

I must admit the way your OP was worded did make me think along the same lines. I understand how stressed you must be right now but people were only trying to help you not abuse you.

Glad you finally got the answers you wanted.

For what it's worth we also have 3 children and when we moved over there were no other international students the school was 100% Aussies, this was great for the boys as they got sooo many friends and the other students always wanted to be around them. Even the teachers spoilt them. It's all changed now though as they moved to a school which has a mix of nationalities due to it being a Defence Force school as well