Parafield Gardens Secondary School

Guest Elsbels

Guest Elsbels

Thinking of moving to Mawson Lakes. Does anyone know anything about the secondary schools in the area. On education websites, Parafield Gardens is at the baseline of performance, any experiences or views of this school or others would be much appreciated?

Thinking of moving to Mawson Lakes. Does anyone know anything about the secondary schools in the area. On education websites, Parafield Gardens is at the baseline of performance, any experiences or views of this school or others would be much appreciated?

Have a friend who use to teach there wasn't happy with it, Sid it was a very rough school that's the only info I know of the place :)

Guest Adelaide_bound

I've done (admittedly only the one) day at Holy Family Catholic in Parafields - I'm a teacher. I wouldn't say its bad, but something a bit odd about it that I couldn't put my finger on. Some right 'characters', but overall nice kids. Not too sure about the standard of education there - there wasn't any work left for the kids (planned day off, which is a bit lax imho) and when I flicked back through the books there wasn't a lot of work nor marking, but maybe they do things differently there and its a lot of hands on investigation type stuff - there wasn't a whiteboard to write on to teach them anything, so heaven knows what they usually do.

FYI its not really very Catholic at all, no prayers or religious base at all that I could see or experienced (I'm used to real fire and brimstone Catholic schools from the UK, so it was a bit odd to me lol) - but talking to another TRT teacher there, she said Catholic schools vary, some are very religious, some aren't at all and that's one that isn't apparently.

Haven't taught in any more schools up that way though so can't comment any more than this, sorry :)

Its amazing how over the years things change, my two children went to Holy Family when we first arrived and it was a great little school, way above the one they attended when we moved to Golden Grove, a real family feel about it and brilliant teachers. A year or two ago we drove past it and I couldn't believe my eyes, the place was unrecognisable!!!! massive big buildings - just nothing looked the same. I suppose though in 20 years!!!! it will have changed, the teachers will have changed and maybe its not as religious based as it was those days, but maybe because then the Principal was a nun. I know those days the other school in Parafield Gardens (the big one on Salisbury Highway) didn't have a good reputation - but maybe that's changed as well, most things have in the 20 years since we arrived. Dont know anything about any other schools in the area though.

Guest salisbury massive

If you are moving to Mawson Lakes and can afford it, I would be looking at Endeavour collage. The quality of High schools around that area isn't brilliant. I wouldn't personally touch Parafield, Para Hills high School is a better option.but I guess there are lots of people happy with the standard.

here's the link for Endeavour

http://www.endeavour.sa.edu.au/

The link for Para Hills http://www.phhs.sa.edu.au/

also check out Tyndale http://www.phhs.sa.edu.au/ its a private school but the fees are reasonable

Salisbury High School has great reviews http://www1.salisburyhigh.sa.edu.au/

Hope this helps

Jo