What school year groups?

Guest Melanie Thornton

Guest Melanie Thornton

Hello, I am applying for a former resident visa in the next few months and if successful, will be moving back to Adelaide for the Jan 2015 school start. Just wondering if anyone can help me with what school year my children will be in.

Their birthdays are August 2004, March 2007, August 2008. Their school years for 2014/15 will be year 6, year 3 and year 2 in the UK.

I think in Australia they will each be held back a year so will start Year 5, year 2 and year 1. Does anyone know if this is right? Thanks for reading.

Do you count reception as year one for you in the UK? Our son is May 2008 and will be in Y1 next month in UK. He just did a year of reception.

Based on that and his going into reception in Aus, I'd say your youngest will be in reception in Aus in Jan 2014 as an August baby so no real chance if going in to Y1 if they adhere to the new intake rules which come in in Jan 2014.

There is a calculator I'll see if I can dig it up.

Guest Melanie Thornton

Thank you for the reply. I can't seem to find a cut off like in the UK which I think is September 1st. My youngest has finished reception and starts Year 1 next month, she only just turned 5 this month.

Although if you are moving in 2015 then would go into Y1 then.

Don't look at it as going backwards though. School year starts at a different time, they have a different cut off and its a whole different education system. Your children will be in with kids the same age and should adapt.

Guest Melanie Thornton

Thank you for the info. I would be happy for my youngest to re-do the year as she is very far behind so will help her to catch up, and my eldest is on average level and it will give her 2 years before high school. Seems my March child will be moving up the same as he is now but he is very good at school so that's okay too.

Aug 04 - Sept 14 year 6 UK / Jan 2015 year 5 Au

March 07 - Sept 14 year 3 UK / Jan 2015 year 3 Au

Aug 07 - Sept 14 year 2 UK / Jan 2015 year 1 Au

I completed all of my schooling in Australia and it has taken time to get used to the UK holiday and admission system, but it seems a little weird looking back at the Australian way now! Very confusing.

Hi,

i have a nov 03 who will go into yr 5 in 2014

a March 06 who will go into yr 3

and an 08 who will start yr 1

so I think your kids will be

2004= yr 4

2007= yr 2

2008= reception

That would be for a 2014 start. The OP is looking to move in 2015 so they would all be one year on from this.

• 1 month later...
Guest TheBirdsIOM

Hi Guys

I am confused.......:0?

My eldest was born June 2004 and my youngest Nov 2006.

Eldest currently year 5 and youngest year 2

Hope to be over Feb time but probably wont get them in to school until April time.

What years will they be in ?

I was never very good at maths ! lol

Thanks

Di

hi guys my name is Calum I'm scrivs son. I'm in year seven so this is my first year in comp in the UK and we are moving to AUS in January 14 BUT ...I dont want to go back to primary!!!!:( Has anyone had to do that and did you survive?? I think we are going to be living in Henley Beach area.

Hi Guys

I am confused.......:0?

My eldest was born June 2004 and my youngest Nov 2006.

Eldest currently year 5 and youngest year 2

Hope to be over Feb time but probably wont get them in to school until April time.

What years will they be in ?

I was never very good at maths ! lol

Thanks

Di

I reckon that next school year (starting Jan 2014) your eldest would be in year 4 (and one of the eldest in the class) and your youngest would be in year 2.

Hi Calum

My son is currently in yr 6 at primary school but if he was in the Uk he would have just gone into yr7 like you. He is very bright and he didn't want to do yr 7 here so he sat the IGNITE test at Aberfoyle Park High School and we are pleased to say that he got in and will now miss yr7 and go straight into yr8 in January. Maybe if your parents contacted the high school that they want you to go to and explain that you are already at high school in the uk they may take you early. Each school is different and you will just have to wait and see. My son currently goes to high school one morning a week to do maths as he is so far advanced I think his teacher has given up on him so the high school very kindly offered to take him for a lesson a week to keep his brain challenged!!

I wouldn't worry about 'going back to primary school', In some schools high school doesn't start to yr 8 others yr 10, some schools have yr 7 and 8 as middle school. Its more important about how you feel in your classes lots of friends your age, understand the work (in those yeas there is a lot of focus on australia so it might be good)the naming of years and systems doesn't really matter cause schools aren't as rigid, my school was an R-12 for example reception to year 12 so I didn't really matter what the stage was called.

I was a few weeks into yr 9 when I left in about October, I started School in November two weeks of year 8 and then in February was back to year 9. Plus you do lot of different lessons, like Health, Photography, languages, etc. So its no big deal.