Has Reynella East College got a bad reputation ?

Guest suttons

Guest suttons

I was thinking of placing my 15 year old, 12 year old and 6 year old into Reynella East College. But as I am currently living with my sister in law I have had to get a statutory declaration from the court to state I am staying and living in the area permanently as I don't have a rental agreement as proof to get them into school. At the police station whilst asking for the declaration form; the lady behind the desk stated she wouldn't send her daughter there if it was the last school to choose from. She went on to say that the teachers don't care, they are flippant have no control and have a 'whatever' attitude to anything of complaint, its too big a school to be able to manage properly.

Is this the case ? Has anyone had any issues with Reynella East recently or have their children attending the school and think they are do well.

The other schools we are considering are Aberfoyle High and Brighton but again we have to have proof we are living in the school zones.

I am hoping to enrol them on Monday but now have some anxieties, I know its just one persons opinion against anothers but would welcome any information or personal experiences.

Thanks

Shona x

Guest shella_n

Hi Shona

Brighton is well known to be the best public school in the area and better than some of the private ones too.

i think Reynella has a mixed rep depending on who you talk too. My friend took her boys out of the private school at woodcroft and they are doing much better at Reynella. Nearly all my friends live in that area ( all Aussies) and are planning on sending their kids there so I really don't think it could be that bad.

i think you need to go and view it and ask questions relevant to your child. What may suit one familys kids may not suit another's but don't rule it out over one persons opinion. You will find that happens A LOT here - mixed opinions - listen to them but don't ultimately rely on them - go see for yourselves.

i hope the helps a bit.

Guest suttons

Thanks that has helped. We have viewed it already and although preferred the feel of Aberfoyle, Reynella East is much larger than we are used to, we are in the area for Reynella and cannot find a rental in Aberfoyle which is why we were enrolling them next week as we can prove we are living with my sister in law in the school zone.

Both my kids have completed all their high schooling there and we have had no problems - my daughter left 2 years ago and is currently at the Uni of Adelaide studying a BA in English and classics having left Reynella with an atar of 84 (the score they need for uni). my son is currently in year 12 - he finishes soon - and is also hopefully going to uni.

Are all the teachers good? Of course not but there are some amazing teachers there who I would rate most highly. Do they all give a damn? Again no but there are plenty that do.

I'll be honest - when we looked for our daughter it was not top of our list but she did amazingly well there, as is my son, so it really isn't all bad. If you have any other more specific questions let me know.