Emmaus Christian College Adelaide

Guest Ritu

Hi, we are moving from Gold Coast to Adelaide at the end of this school year and are trying to do a long-distance research on high schools!! Our son will be starting year 8 from January. Does anyone have experience with Emmaus College? Any feedback will be highly appreciated :smile::smile:

I was just thinking I'd never even heard of it, so I googled and found that it was formerly called Tabor Christian College. I just have the impression of it being very heavily religious - if that's what you are looking for, but don't know a lot else about it. Our kids' school plays against a lot of the other private schools in sports matches etc, but don't think we've ever played against Tabor, sorry! Not much help, but perhaps knowing what it used to be called might jog others memories!

Guest Guest12727

A friends 3 kid's go there and are extremely happy with it. They are Poms who have been here about 10 years. It helps that it is a short walk from their home - so very convenient for them.

I was just thinking I'd never even heard of it, so I googled and found that it was formerly called Tabor Christian College. I just have the impression of it being very heavily religious - if that's what you are looking for, but don't know a lot else about it. Our kids' school plays against a lot of the other private schools in sports matches etc, but don't think we've ever played against Tabor, sorry! Not much help, but perhaps knowing what it used to be called might jog others memories!

Thanks Diane. I spoke to them this morning and you are right, being christian is a prerequisite for enrollment which we are not, so its off my list..:huh:

If anyone has any suggestions for not-so-pricey schools please help!!

Where will you be living/working? What ages are your kids? Do you want single sex or mixed? Was there a specific reason you were looking at Private Schools, or would you consider State schools? The cheaper private schools tend to be the religion-based ones, but not all specifically demand you are religious - mine (well only one of them now) are/is at a religion-based private high school, but although the school expects them to go to Mass and do the 'spectacle, testicle, wallet and watch' thing now and then, they haven't forced them to convert (and both are happily atheist, having made an educated choice...perhaps because of the school's ethos!)

**Sorry just noticed you did mention your son's age. Have you any other kids to consider as well or is it just the one?

Hi Diane, We have two children, son is 13 and daughter is 3.5 yrs old. Our priority understandably is the high school. He goes to a private lutheran school here in GC and they welcome people from all religious backgrounds. Unfortunately, the private schools in Adelaide seem to be sooo expensive and the ones that are reasonably priced were clear about the christian background bit. Which school do your children go to? I'll try to call them as well.

I am looking at State schools as well. Don't know where we will live as yet but once the school is decided we plan to find something in the area for zoning, etc. How is Norwood Moriata? Marryatville zone is awfully small and am yet to come across 3bd properties advertised there. My husband will be in Adelaide from next week onwards to visit my shortlist!!

There are many Lutheran Schools in SA. http://www.lsa.lutheran.edu.au/ for details on the high schools.

My three children went to Immanuel College, and although they were required to attend services, it certainly was more moral and Christian ethics than religion.(then) I believe they welcome all comers, as do the rest of the Lutheran schools in SA.

Hi Diane, We have two children, son is 13 and daughter is 3.5 yrs old. Our priority understandably is the high school. He goes to a private lutheran school here in GC and they welcome people from all religious backgrounds. Unfortunately, the private schools in Adelaide seem to be sooo expensive and the ones that are reasonably priced were clear about the christian background bit. Which school do your children go to? I'll try to call them as well.

I am looking at State schools as well. Don't know where we will live as yet but once the school is decided we plan to find something in the area for zoning, etc. How is Norwood Moriata? Marryatville zone is awfully small and am yet to come across 3bd properties advertised there. My husband will be in Adelaide from next week onwards to visit my shortlist!!

Norwood Morialta is a good school. My son will probably be staring year 8 there in 2015 so we went to an open evening a couple of months back. To be honest I haven't looked at many senior schools but it looked to have good facilities, although some areas could do with a lick of paint. Like all senior schools it is zoned - there is a procedure for applying from outside the zone but I don't know how many kids get in that way. The zone runs through the middle of Rostrevor, very close to the middle school campus so if you are considering it as a possible school you need to ensure you live in the zone to ensure a place in the school. Marryatville is a very good, very popular school, which is why the zone is so small. Glenunga is another very good school. The areas around these two schools are very nice but also rather expensive, otherwise we would be living near one of them.

There are plenty of religious schools around and I can't believe they would all require you to be religious. In fact I know they don't as I know other none religious families that have sent their kids to religious schools without any issues. Personally I'd like to send my eldest to Pembroke but there is no way we could afford it. He's going to try for the ignite program (gifted and talented) at Glenunga and for a scholarship at Pembroke but I suspect he will end up at Norwood Morialta.