Willunga Waldorf School (Steiner school) thoughts??

Guest Benoli

Considering all primary school options and come across the Steiner school in Willunga. Has anyone got children here or know of people who've got kids there? What sort of reputation does it have? Any information on

this school greatly appreciated. I've looked at all the other primary schools in the lower south area but not got much info on this one

thanks

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Benoli!

Sorry i do not know this school personally but i do know about steiner schools in general. Not sure if you are aware of what these schools are about (appologies if you already do) This article makes interesting reading

http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2012/11/what-every-parent-should-know-about-steiner-waldorf-schools.html

Just one example of this....Steiner promotes not giving children vaccinations, that becoming ill is your body facing bad karma that you collectted in a previous life and if you are not given the chance to go through the illness you will simply get it in your next life. If the child dies or develops life long complications ie deafness then that is what was supposed to happen. I know of a family who eventually removed their children from a steiner school after being given a lot of greif for vaccinating their children against swine flu.

Looked after a very sick kid at work who's father is a teacher at that school. Kids in the system don't start proper school until 6, they stay with the same teacher until the end of primary school. They are encouraged to be creative and the education is holistic. They prefer that children don't watch TV, play computer games etc but do not police it. It is private, so there are fees involved. This school continues on to High school and all children do all the same subjects until the last year. They do not do public exams but have a major personal project. This is accepted for uni entrance. The school is small and there are lots of whole school community events.

ok........thought i knew about Steiner schools but never paid much attention to the background/development of it! makes for interesting if not, concerning reading........and think I'll give that one a miss :)

thanks for all your replies x

I think if I were you I would go and have a look around. My husband and I did and we were very pleasantly surprised. We looked at each other when we walked away and both said yes we'll send the kids there but they didn't have space for both of them so we didn't end up sending them. The high school end of things reminded me a lot of my high school (I went to a grammar school). We went into a physics and maths class, teachers were very enthusiastic and it was stuff I remembered doing, except all the kids were using apple Macs. I would encourage you to go and look :)

I can't comment on that particular school but Steiner schools can vary widely in how 'rigidly' they apply Steiner's concepts. Many are fairly mainstream in their thinking and practices and for all intents and purposes are like any other private school - without the black crayons ;) - whereas a few are more, er, 'fundamental' in their teaching. I knew someone back in the UK who had a horrendous experience with her daughter at such a school. There were a number of issues - some quite batty - which included the development of a rather unhealthy relationship with the teacher (not sexual, but more as a proxy parent elbowing out the real parents), which is one of the criticisms of keeping the same teacher year after year.