Galilee Primary Aldinga.......how religious??

Guest Benoli

Just how religious is Galilee Catholic Primary?? what sort of reputation has it? We were put off Southern Vales as they were a bit OTT in their prospectus and wanted us to attend Christianity Explained meetings. I have nothing against religion and don't mind a school having some attachment to a particular religion but don't want it rammed down my throat if that makes sense. Most of the private schools seem to have some basis in religion. I'm just wanting to get an idea of everywhere we're considering before we commit as don't want to move our child to another school once started unless absolutely necessary.........so would appreciate thoughts on Galilee please :)

Guest vikkiann

We went on the principals tour tonight and whilst it is a catholic school and they do learn religious studies as all schools do, I don't think it's too much. The whole school does do mass once a week.

Are you still in uk?

Galilee seems a lovely small school, I'm putting in applications tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

we're already in Oz :) was supposed to go on a tour there this morning but decided to cancel as we're not religious at all and figured it wasn't right for us although it seems a lovely school. They told me on the phone yesterday they still have a few places so hopefully you get one of them :) Good luck! :) x

Benoli, at least your honest in your opinion as it annoys me to see families suddenly become religious in order to get their kids into a school. Of all the religions, Catholics tend to be the most thorough in doing background checks, ensuring your children are Christened and Baptised etc. They do also want to see the parents attending church, classes etc, (well this applies in the UK anyway).

S and yes I have Irish blood in the family.....

• 2 weeks later...

Our son goes to a catholic school, we are not religious and were not expected to have him baptised etc. or for us to attend church. Not aware of any in Adelaide that do ask that other than preference will be given to catholic families.

He has learnt catholic traditions/faith and I don't have a problem with that - it will up to him what he does in regard to religion in the future. Whether it's his nature or not he does seem to have been taught to respect and care about others.

The protestant school - Tatachilla at McLaren Vale is also a popular choice.

Hi Just to let you know they don't ram religious beliefs down your throat at southern vales. I went on the Christianity explained before my kids started there and it was for about 1 hr to explain about Christianity so you don't start getting worried or wondering why your kids may come home telling you about jesus and stories from the bible.

southern vales is a brilliant school, the kids that go there are so welcoming and so are the teachers. my kids settled In there after just one day of schooling and have never been happier. neither myself or my husband are overly religious but it hasn't bothered us as we just want our kids to go to a really good school and to us that was southern vales.