HELP!!! West Adelaide - good for kids?

Guest Lulujim

Guest Lulujim

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone could help us with this one...

We are continually researching different areas of South Australia to live in.. and after meeting a native Adelaidian on the tube after the Australian Expo last Saturday, she recommended the Metro West region to us.. I think this includes Glenelg, Brighton, Hove, West Lakes, Grange and further inland including Royal Park etc etc..

We had originally dis-counted these areas as thought they were too pricey.

Please can anyone tell us if they are suitable for families with small children? (our two will be 2 and 6 months old). I have heard some of the schools there are good, and close to CBD etc..but are there playgroups, soft play, things to do with pre-schoolers there?

Any help will be hugely appreciated!!

Thank you!

All over Adelaide there are playgroups, kindergyms, kindermusic, library sessions, swimming lessons etc, it doesn't really matter where you go there will be stuff not far away for you and your children. Royal Park and surrounding suburbs are still a little iffy, but you can get good housing bargains there and wait for the suburb to change. There are a few schools in the Torrens Rd area (heading Northwest) that have very few white kids, which can be interesting but It's not for everyone. The closer to the coast you get, the pricier the housing gets. Adelaide is dotted with small parks with small play equipment which is safe for littlies under supervision. Where I live within 5 - 10 mins walk there are 2 kindergartens, 4 parks, 3 schools and a small shopping centre with fruit n veg, post office etc. Most councils have a booklet or info on their web about what is available in their council area for all ages. There is also a free mag called Adelaide Child that lists all the things that are on for kids around Adelaide over a two month period. Littlies are well catered for.

Guest Lulujim

Hi Rachiegarlo -

I was hoping you'd read my post as you seem to know all different areas of SA so well. (Maybe you should consider a career change and write a book on South Aus??)

I did notice Royal Park seemed more affordable, but wasn't sure whether it was because it was inland more - or dodgy area! Can you tell me which areas inland of the West Coast which are ok??

We are not snobby (needless to say we live in Grimsby - hahahaha) but would like to live in a nice area with zoning for good schools, walkable amenities, not too far from public transport to CBD (we don't want for much!!) - and we appreciate it would be worth paying extra for that.

I.e: what are more inland areas like in the West region? Looking on domain I have seen properties in Cumberland Park, Fulham Gardens, Glengowrie, Marion, Morphetville etc..

Thanks so much for your help, it gives us a much better idea from here about expectations etc.. :)

Hah here's a quick reply before I go to bed, by the way if that is your kid in the photo, she looks so jolly and happy, I love it and it makes me smile every time I see it.

Anyways

Cumberland Park, Plympton, South Plympton, Clarence Gardens, Top part of Morphettville, Edwardstown, Melrose Park, Kurralta Park are all about 6 - 8 ks out of town to the Southwest. All have good transport links with buses and some have train and tram as well. All of these areas also have walkable access to major shops, maybe upto a 20 - 30 min type walk. Thereare good schools in the area, but most primary schools aren't zoned and you can send themanywhere. When we bought our house, our suburb was still a bit run down, with the original owners in the houses, but an awful lot have been done up now and the local school wasn't so good, so I kept them at the primary school across the otherside of town. The local school is now changing for the better, but it takes time. As your kids are little I wouldn't worry about High schools yet as in 10 yrs time you may have moved from your original area anyway.

Glengowrie, Novar Gardens, Marion are further away from the CBD but are all good solid suburbs, with small pockets of Housing trust houses, but no marked problems. These suburbs are about 20-30 mins car ride from the city, but still have good bus services and trains. Marion has the main shopping centre for this part of Adelaide.

Areas like Cowandilla and Richmond have some very nice houses and streets, but some parts are near industry. They are west of the city and only about 4-6 ks out of town.

To the north you could have a look at Nailsworth, Sefton Park,about 6- 8 ks out and on two bus routes, with a large shopping centre nearby, a library, a kindy and school and parks all in a walkable distance.

If you are going to buy and want to be close to the city, I wouldn't not buy if I saw a house I liked in an area close to the city, just because it was along Torrens Rd areas. Twenty years ago, areas like Mile End, Woodville etc were cheap to buy in, had lovely old traditional villas that were in need of modernisation and TLC and now are expensive areas to buy in, because people have renovated these properties and changed the tone of the suburbs.

If you are renting then I wouldn't move there just now. It really depends on your budget, but there are plenty of suburbs closeish to the city that are reasonably priced, and have all the amenities you would look for if you have young children.

Rachel

Guest swampo

Thanks for the information on areas, we will be having a look at these very shortly. Have you anything to say about the East or north east districts? What ones should we avoid? I know we need to keep away from Elizabeth from other posts on this forum. We have seen some nice houses in Craigmore but is this still to close to the less 'desirable' areas. Sorry if I offend anyone who lives in those areas but don't really know the lie of the land.

Guest Lulujim

Thanks Rachel - so kind of you to go in to such detail. That has helped lots and it has definitely given me some food for thought. That has helped narrow down our search through domain etc...and given us a better idea of budget etc too.

Hope you didn't get to bed too late,

Alexis

P.s - I am still beaming from your compliments about my daughter too!! :jiggy:

Guest TheDeansDownUnder

Hi there,

Just to reply about Craigmore as we live there! It is near Elizabeth but we are on the other side of Craigmore next to Blakeview!

Housing here was more affordable for us when we arrived just over 12 months ago but in this time it has vastly gone up! We love it here and have never had any problems. Harry goes to the local school and has settled really well there and the younger two go to the local kindy where they also love it!

Whoever you speak to always mentions Elizabeth, (i wouldn't choose to live there myself either) but to be honest it doesn't even compare to certain places in Manchester etc!

Just have a look at the area for yourself, have a drive around Craigmore and Blakeview and see just how nice they are!:wubclub:

Leanne xx