Teaching in SA problems

Guest Debz4912

Guest Debz4912

Hey guys

i have just arrived in Adelaide. I have 5 years experience as a college Psychology teacher in the Uk. I did a 2 year pt PgCE in UK and have just been turned down for teachers registration as they won't accept it. They have suggested i complete their Pgce and will be given credit for my previous study however the course is $21k which I just can't afford as we are classed as international students until you get permanent residency.

If anyone out there has any advice I'd be most grateful for it. Also I would be happy to meet up with anyone in a similar situation to have a. Good natter over a coffee about it all.

Debz

Hey guys

i have just arrived in Adelaide. I have 5 years experience as a college Psychology teacher in the Uk. I did a 2 year pt PgCE in UK and have just been turned down for teachers registration as they won't accept it. They have suggested i complete their Pgce and will be given credit for my previous study however the course is $21k which I just can't afford as we are classed as international students until you get permanent residency.

If anyone out there has any advice I'd be most grateful for it. Also I would be happy to meet up with anyone in a similar situation to have a. Good natter over a coffee about it all.

Debz

Hi Debz,

I am so surprised to hear this - as I had to pay 10,000 dollars to satisfy their demands as I had a GTP certificate and not a PGCE. The TRB clearly stated then - 2008/9 that had I had a PGCE certificate, I would not need to do further study at great cost. Also, I know someone who has a PGCE and went straight into teaching in Adelaide no problems. The goalposts must have been moved if you can't be accepted - and it is so ludicrous and beggars belief - but it seems to be all about bloody money to them. This sickens me as you clearly are accepted as a full teacher in the UK, but not good enough for here. The other stupid thing is that I did a 4 month course at UniSA to gain a post grad diploma in education and although I loved the experience of going back to uni, I learned absolutely nothing! Also, I feel that the teaching standards in UK schools was far higher than it is here - in my opinion - so all in all, it was a waste of time and money!

Wish I could offer you some advice but all I can say is to contact Ruth Geer, if she is stillat UniSA as she was the person I had to contact to see about getting my qualifications and experience assessed and accredited.

Hope you get it sorted. Try not to get too depressed about it - get more information if you can.

Best wishes,

Cazzie

PS What area are you residing in?

PPS Of course, you could get a non-teaching job, get your permanent residency and then apply again - it would be much cheaper. You could also work as a teaching assistant and get some experience of Aussie schools too :)

Edited by cazzie

Guest Debz4912

Hi Cazzie

Thanks for your response. It was the prof grad PGCE that I completed rather than the certificate. Iv been so stressed about this whole thing. Andrew from TrB has suggested I go to panel with my case especially given that I was Head of Psyc for 2 years and suggested that they might approve me but it would probably have a study condition on it, ie they register me once I start on a course but I would be allowe ft work until their Pgce was complete. I can't believe given as you said the standard in the UK is much superior that I don't qualify to teach here without paying as stupid amount of money on top of what I have already done in the UK and how hard I worked. It's really heart renching.

I will get in touch with Ruth this week to see what further help she can be. My partner loves it here and hates the idea of returning home but I don't feel it's worth me staying here if I can't get to do what I love best....teaching. So frustrating!

i live in Crafers ATM.

Thanks again

debz

Sorry to hear all this Debz and yes, it is heart wrenching stuff but don't give up just yet. go to the panel with your case/contact Ruth Geer at UniSA and see what comes out of it. Although it cost me 10k to study, I have repaid that debt and never looked back and it may work out the same for you.

Happy to meet up for a coffee sometime :)

Guest Debz4912
Sorry to hear all this Debz and yes, it is heart wrenching stuff but don't give up just yet. go to the panel with your case/contact Ruth Geer at UniSA and see what comes out of it. Although it cost me 10k to study, I have repaid that debt and never looked back and it may work out the same for you.

Happy to meet up for a coffee sometime :)

Hi Cazzie

i really hope it does work out as it's the only thing stopping me from enjoying being here ATM. I'm free every evening generally and on a Wednesday. Would be good to meet up with other teachers too.

Thanks again

debz