Schooling for 489 Visa holder

cheryh79

Hi,

I got SA SS to apply 489 Visa.

I am doing a research for schooling for my son. he will be going to primary one on 2015.

So i wish to find out can 489 Visa holder apply for public school? if not, any alternative to international school as international school is really expensive.

Anyone apply 489 from SA can share your experience?

Hello Cheryh79,

We came over in September on a 489 visa and enrolled our son in a local public secondary school. As the school at the time of enrollment were unsure whether we would have to pay international school fees we visited the SA education office in Adelaide. They confirmed that on a 489 visa, school costs were the same as those on a permanent visa and we would not have to pay international school fees. If you are in any doubt you can check out their website http://www.decd.sa.gov.au which gives their contact details for you to speak to them directly with any concerns you have.

Hope that helps Jo

• 1 month later...

With regards to schooling on the 489 Visa, can anyone tell me if my children will be entitled to go to any Secondary Schools they want to go to? Any information on schools/colleges for a 13 and 17 year old would be really helpful for me as we know have our Visa and can start planning ahead.

• 6 months later...
Hi, we hope to move in March 2015, we have an 11year old and a 5 year old, we are coming on a 489, do we have to pay for private schooling? or are our children able to attend public school??? any feedback would be apreciated

Afaik there are only the standard fees payable at state schools same as anyone else would pay. Couple of hundred $$ a year per child. Covers books, pencils, equipment and all that.

I'll find the link for you.

Excellent......thankyou so much :smile:

Hmm, check with the education department here as the visa seems to be a grey area and I can't find a specific bit of blurb covering it like other visas.

Eta - hopefully someone can clarify one way or the other. I thought this visa was ok but unlike other types, there is no mention of it.

Edited by snifter

Check on the forum search for this subject as it has been asked before. Someone many have posted an answer already :)

If not check the SA education website and email and enquire to get a definitive answer. Please let us know what they say as it may be helpful for others in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

We came on a 489 visa and yes your children can go to State Schools, they will both be in Primary here so you can choose any School you like. However, the Secondary Schools are zoned, but like the U.K. the Primary schools feed into the secondary ones, and they don't go to Secondary School until they are 13.. Oh and we just found out that the Medicare you get here on a 489 visa is only free if you were born in the U.K. as it is reciprocal health care. If you have a different place of birth on your passport you will need private health insurance.

How did you get a picture on your profile? We came out in June 2014. Don't rush to get here it's quite cold and dull at the moment as it's winter and the houses are big and draughty. I wish we'd planned things a bit better and come out in September as I love the English Summer. Brrrrrr....bring your fleeces and lots of socks to wear in bed!!

Guest Claire-n-tel
We came on a 489 visa and yes your children can go to State Schools, they will both be in Primary here so you can choose any School you like. However, the Secondary Schools are zoned, but like the U.K. the Primary schools feed into the secondary ones, and they don't go to Secondary School until they are 13.. Oh and we just found out that the Medicare you get here on a 489 visa is only free if you were born in the U.K. as it is reciprocal health care. If you have a different place of birth on your passport you will need private health insurance.

Surely if you are a uk citizen you will be entitled to reciprocal health

Surely if you are a uk citizen you will be entitled to reciprocal health

Yes, that's what we thought until we spoke to someone who was born in Ireland and they didn't get it but her husband did and he was born in England. I could still be wrong though, as I am finding lots of fuzzy logic over here....

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi KathCats!

if you are a citizen of the UK (or and country) you are entitled to everything as a citizen regardless of your place of birth. If your friend was born in the Republic of Ireland she would have been living and working in the UK and never have had to become a uk citizen, Ireland don't have a reciprocal health agreement with Australia hence she would not be entitled to medicare.

:cute:

I don't think the part about being born in the UK is true.I was born in Malta but I am a UK citizen and was entitled to the health card.

Oh brilliant, when did you get out to oz? Whereabouts have you settled? We have two children so lots to think about, we liked the fact that Adelaide is seasonal, my brother is up in Darwin and he said that the heat is intense! Coming from Cumbria (especially from the coast) i don't think we could of handled the heat all year round x

We are living in Flagstaff Hill which is South of the city and in the foothills so it's lovely and green with fabulous views driving on a morning of the flatlands and the sea. There are some lovely schools which you can walk to and plenty of cycle paths. We are still discovering lots ourselves and the people here are friendly and helpful. Although they do struggle with the Northern accent so you will probably end up modifying your speech a bit. We arrived here late June and had quite a few difficulties esp with accommodation, but there is a lot of support on this forum! On a 489 visa we have to stay here for 2 years but it's not hot enough for us yet (we should've gone to Darwin ourselves!!!) Also, check out BobinOz his website helped us.

Hi, oh people struggle with my accent over here so no change there! Ha ha, my husband is from Lancashire so hes broader than me! Im hearing its the coldest its been in awhile, but hopefully the summer will be lovely, to be honest that is one of the reasons we chose Adelaide, as it is seasonal, i think we would struggle with heat all year round, had you visited Adelaide before moving out? Hope you don't mind me being inquisitive! What made you choose the area you live in? What were the difficulties you were faced with accommodation?