Year 12?????

Guest mjkitchener

Guest mjkitchener

HI, We are hoping to move over early next year. WE live in France, so my daughter will be about to do her final year for the BAC. I cant leave her stranded with no qualifications for her future, so dont know what she should do? Year 12 at school, or maybe a foundation course at college? She will be 16 1/2 ish. Anyone been in a similar situation?

Guest Guest12727

Do you mean you are unsure what she should start in France or what she should do here?

Either way, it really depends on what she wants to do in the future, but if she wants to go onto further education then she should do year 12. The BAC, called IB (International Bac) is available here at some schools, so I am sure she can continue where she leaves off in her studies if she takes this route. Look at Glenunga High and Banksia Park High as these two schools offer the IB and you should glean some info from their websites, or you can contact them for further details. If you search for IB adelaide, you will get a list of all schools that offer it.

Guest mjkitchener

Wow thanks. I had no idea she could dod the BAC anywhere but France. Im sure she will go onto further studies. Wanted to be a vet nurse but not so sure at the loment. I will check out that website today. Thanks again Howde

Hi

My son was just 17 when we arrived here. He had already taken his GCSEs at school in UK and was at College doing a plumbing course.

We knew that he needed to get a SACE qualification here, as GCSEs count for little.

He wasnt very academic and really hated the thought of going back to school but we convinced him he would only need to do year 12.

When we arrived in Adelaide, we went to see the school, who told him that unless he worked really hard, then the best thing to do was do year 11 and 12. He was concerned as he though he would be older than the other kids, which in the UK isnt cool. It really is the norm here in Australia that the age range is much greater across year groups, so his age was never an issue in reality.

He did his year 11 and 12 and came out with his SACE. He is now 20 yrs and is happy to tell us that it was the best thing he could have done. It allowed him to settle in and learn the 'Australian way', without the pressure of having to make massive academic achievements immediately. Most importantly it gave him a social circle and a life in Australia. He did struggle for the first 3 months until he found a good group of friends, but then was all plain sailing. He now has a great social circle and is never in at home.

He loves it here. He feels if we hadn't insisted he go back to school, then he would never have developed the friends he has now.

Good luck.

Guest mjkitchener

Hi Harrison Family. Boys eh....my son non academic also, but he will be finished when we come. He has a huge social circle and we never see him, so I am a little concerned about him settling in. He says he is only coming for a year, so I hope he changes his mind once he gets there. Really helpful about the school. Amy (daughter) really doesnt want to move so anything is going to be hard with her (especially if a school uniform is involved) lol. She would be ok about the age thing as they have all sorts of ages in their classses here in france too. She is having to leave her ponies behind so if you know any good riding schools, please let me know. might soften the blow. Cant afford to ship them over!!!!!!

Neither my teenage daughter or son wanted to come (19 and 17 when we arrived). To the point that I wasn't even convinced the daughter would get on the plane! We had so many battles and tears for probably 2 years before we got here. Then that carried on for the first few months we were here.

However 3 1/2yrs later both of them absolutely love it here and wouldn't go back to the UK, other than a holiday.

It takes time and it isn't easy moving with teenagers (as lots of people on here will agree). We have had some really tough times, but I think the most important thing is that you all support each other.

Hopefully one day they will thank you

Guest mjkitchener

Thanks again Harrison Family. Last post made me feel a little better. Sorry if I waffle on a bit, but being trapped in a country where you cant speak to people very well, takes its toll. So nice to converse in English, even though I dont know you. Just read your Visa timeline. Not bad! Bet it seemed like forever. :smile:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mjkitchener

Hi Harrison Family. another school year ended here, and more immigration paper work done. how do you feel the employment situation is over there? Hubby is a sparky, but needs a sponser, or I have to study to give him the opportunity to look for one. So scared to drag the kids around, if there isnt the jobs there.

Hi Harrison Family. another school year ended here, and more immigration paper work done. how do you feel the employment situation is over there? Hubby is a sparky, but needs a sponser, or I have to study to give him the opportunity to look for one. So scared to drag the kids around, if there isnt the jobs there.

Hiya.

i think for advice on employment you are better to post a general enquiree. Im not sure on the sparky front how work is. There has been a lot of post recently on employement, it may be worth doing a search.

Work in general is more difficult than when we first arrived 3.5yrs ago, however we are all working.

My daughter works in cheap as chips whilst doing her degree and has a casual bar job to.

My son is doing a plumbing apprenticeship. Apprenticeships are very popular here and far easier to get than in Uk...not sure about France

good luck