Which grade?

wrcaston

Hi, our 10 yr old is currently in year 5 in the uk. We are planning to move when she finishes year 6, I know the school year is jan - dec in Australia which means that she may have to redo part of that year which I believe will be grade 5 in australia. Question is, where we in the uk start schooling aged 4-5, in oz it's 5-6, does this mean she would be put ahead a year?

any help would be gratefully received

Will

Yeah you're right. I believe that the school will sometimes put the child a year ahead in this situation but to be honest I'm not sure thats an advantage. Your child would be with the same age group peers even if 'kept back a year' but the australian system is so different I think they need to get used to that rather than being in the next year group. eg. Punctuation names are completely different to UK ones so our kids will have a lot on just getting to grips with that sort of thing I think.

When is your daughters birthday? This will determine what year she will be in. Although the school year runs January to December the age cut off actually runs May to April, although there is a bit of flexibility with this. I wouldn't get concerned about your daughter repeating a year as she won't be. She may be in year 6 twice but she will be doing different work to what she did in the UK and will be with kids who are the same age as her. My eldest went from finishing year six in the UK to doing the end of year five here. He has a June birthday and was one of the youngest in the year in the UK and is one of the eldest in the year here. He is a bright kid and found the maths a bit easy but the school put him in an extension class and pretty much everything else was different stuff to what he had done in the UK. A good school will stretch the brighter kids regardless of what year group they are in.

Guest Claire-n-tel
Oh I'm confused now with the cut offs! Sorry to hijack your thread Will....NicF my daughter will be 12 in Dec. If we arrived in Oct/Nov does that mean she would do the end of year 5 then a full year in 6?

Nope, i think as your daughter turns 12 before april 30 she will go into year 6 for a month then 7 i think?

Guest Claire-n-tel
Thanks Claire. But year 7 is still primary - have I got that right?

Yes it is primary but the kids will be her age, (she'll be one of the middle ones) its just the way they split primary and high school here. Don't forget the high schools keep them til they are 18 so lots of BIG kids around!

Guest Guest12727

Surely what matters is the work they do, not what number the year level is called. Year 6 Australian is not the same as Year 6 UK, so it isn't going backwards, just different terminology. Being with the right age range is important as they grow and mature.

Guest Claire-n-tel
What is a punctuation name?

Those who know me, know I am obsessed with the lack of punctuation skills, but it's poor in UK and Aus.

We officially use UK English in Australia, although you will see US English used, but it doesn't make it right.

I was thinking Kelbert meant something like Australia uses different names for punctuation symbols ie comma may have a different name etc, i have never heard that which is why i asked :wink:

Haha...for example...a full stop is a stop mark, inverted commas are talk marks. - this is what I have been told by a friends daughter who recently moved to Aus from the UK. I agree with you all re: the important thing is that the child is with same age peers. Its just a bit of a weird situation starting high school in uk then going back to primary in Aus. But I'm not worried, she'll be fine. Kids adapt soon enough.

Guest Guest12727
Haha...for example...a full stop is a stop mark, inverted commas are talk marks. - this is what I have been told by a friends daughter who recently moved to Aus from the UK. I agree with you all re: the important thing is that the child is with same age peers. Its just a bit of a weird situation starting high school in uk then going back to primary in Aus. But I'm not worried, she'll be fine. Kids adapt soon enough.

Just asked my 14 year old son who has done all his schooling here (in Adelaide) and he has never heard these terms. Wonder where the teacher is from - America? Certainly not Australian!

My kids have done a lot of their schooling here too, and are pretty good at grammar and punctuation. That could be because they have a grammar nazi mother of course... they certainly use the same terminology I use, and I've never heard the 'stop mark' or 'talk mark' expressions :biggrin: - it's commas, apostrophes, full stops, colons and semi-colons all the way. Adelaide does have a reputation (within the rest of Australia) though as being a little more "British" than some of the other cities so perhaps that's why....

Guest Claire-n-tel

I HATE when teachers/adults use baby-fied words to children.....horses become gee-gees etc, those words sound like a teacher or school have been doing that. The problem comes when those words are used by the child in the real world and ends up sounding silly

:realmad: