Little Athletics

NicF

If anyone is looking for something to do with there kids Little Athletics season is just about to start again. My kids go to the Campbeltown club at Paradise Primary but there are clubs all over SA.

Little athletics is basically athletics for kids from about 3 or 4 in the tiny tots right up to 17, but the emphasis is on taking part and having fun rather that being a great athlete (although there is plenty of support for the great athletes as well). It's a really supportive atmosphere and is good way to get kids out being active and having fun in the summer season. And also making new friends. It's particularly good for those kids who aren't so great at team sports or that aren't traditionally sporty. My eldest started last season barely able to run 800m and finished running 3kms competitively.

The clubs are run by the parents of the kids that go and parents are expected to help out with running the sessions. My OH was on the starting gun last year which he really enjoyed. You don't have to be an athlete yourself, or even know anything about athletics to take your kids and help out. It's a great way for the adults to meet new people and make new friends as well.

Have a look on the official website https://sitedesq.imgstg.com/site/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_main&OrgID=3671 for more information and for your nearest club.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if the fees vary for the different clubs but our club charges $110 per child for the first 2 kids in a family then offers a discount for any further children. The fees cover the summer athletics season and the winter cross country season. There is also a club shirt but I can't remember how much this was last year but my kids had them so big they won't need new ones this year. The clubs do come and try sessions for $5 a session (covers insurance for your child) and you can do 2 sessions before having to join up.

If anyone is looking for something to do with there kids Little Athletics season is just about to start again. My kids go to the Campbeltown club at Paradise Primary but there are clubs all over SA.

Little athletics is basically athletics for kids from about 3 or 4 in the tiny tots right up to 17, but the emphasis is on taking part and having fun rather that being a great athlete (although there is plenty of support for the great athletes as well). It's a really supportive atmosphere and is good way to get kids out being active and having fun in the summer season. And also making new friends. It's particularly good for those kids who aren't so great at team sports or that aren't traditionally sporty. My eldest started last season barely able to run 800m and finished running 3kms competitively.

The clubs are run by the parents of the kids that go and parents are expected to help out with running the sessions. My OH was on the starting gun last year which he really enjoyed. You don't have to be an athlete yourself, or even know anything about athletics to take your kids and help out. It's a great way for the adults to meet new people and make new friends as well.

Have a look on the official website https://sitedesq.imgstg.com/site/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_main&OrgID=3671 for more information and for your nearest club.

This is brilliant. It's such a great thing to enrol the little ones in.

I enrolled my grandson in the Noarlunga little athletics and they meet at Christies Beach high school grounds at 9 on Sunday mornings. The sessions started 2 weeks ago but there's a break this week due to the city to bay fun run.

During the winter period it was cross country and I took my grandson out to Tea Tree Gulley, Salsbury, Barossa, Flinders, Dead Mans Pass Gawler, Morphett Vale, Henley Beach etc so wherever you are there's something gong on.

Maybe you were at some of the same meets as me Nic?

We paid $90 for the first child and $160 for 2.

The kids absolutely love it.

The 23rd of November is the Southern Metropolitan Regional Games to be held at the Christies Beach high school oval as it's their turn to host it this year. Their will be a regional games for the north as well but my programme doesn't say where it is....

We went to the Sailsbury, Flinders, Flagstaff hill, Adelaide and Reynella cross country meets. Missed the rest because of kids parties and being overseas. We were going to do the Tea Tree Gully one but only got back from the UK the day before and we were all half asleep. Both of my kids ran the cross country, one before lunch and one after, so we made a day out of it and bought lunch and snacks from the clubs.

• 2 months later...
Also have a look here for a government contribution towards the costs of kids' sports http://www.sportsvouchers.sa.gov.au/

Thanks Diane. I remember that you had some really useful threads about saving money and Tamara had some as well. It would be such a good idea if all of them could be ammalgamated and placed as a sticky as there are so many ways to save a few dollars but not everyone know about them all. I love positive threads! Ta.

If you register on the Little Athletics web site you can enter times and distances etc for the different events so that the little ones can check and follow their scores. The Little Athletics is all about having fun and not competition but this does allow them to see any improvements that they make week by week.

The link is; http://myresults.littleathletics.com.au/

• 3 weeks later...

Little Athletics is a great way for you and your kids to meet new friends, most meets are on either a Friday night, Saturday or Sunday Morning. Meets usually last about 2-3 hours depending on how many members that club has. Henley is a big club that hold their meets on a Friday night from about 6:30, while my club Tea Tree Gully hold our meets on a Sunday starting at 09:15.

All clubs have one thing in common, parent help, without that nothing happens. But you get great satisfaction by being right their with your child. How great a feeling it is that you can measure your kids own PB, or be their to give them a cuddle when things don't go to well.

I've been involved for about 6 years now with my daughter who is an Under 13 this year, we have made many friends at other clubs as well as our own. The sport is really cheap compared to Soccer or Netball and all clubs offer concessions for 2 or more siblings. Uniforms will cost $50-60.

Track and Field runs from late Sept / early Nov to the last meet (State individuals) at Santos in late March. Cross Country begins first Sunday in May until late July. It's a great, great sport to get into.

• 3 weeks later...
On Sunday the 18th of January there is the Personal Best day at SA Athletic Stadium.

The address is: Address: 145 Railway Terrace, Mile End South SA 5031

It's a regional meet up and will be lots of fun for the little ones.

And the not so little ones. My 13 year old will be there and I'm not sure he could be called a little one any more. :cute:

• 2 months later...

It was presentation day on Sunday the 12th of April at the Noarlunga little athletics.

My eldest grandson has been there for just over a year. He was presented with a gold medal and the cup for his age group :smile:

He has developed so much during the year and I will have 3 more grandchildren enrolling in September this year. The kids love it and it's a great way of spending a few hours throughout the city on weekends. There's quite a few new families who have moved to our local area and the meet is at the Christies beach high school grounds. It's cross country season now but the athletics will start again from September.

As Diane mentioned, there is a $50 sports voucher per child to help with fees.

Just wanted to congratulate your Grandson on a very successful season at Little Athletics, I cant shout loud enough to say what a great activity Little Athletics is, almost 8,000 kids in our state are part of it !!

I remember Noarlunga hosting the Cross Country State Championships a few years back, had a lovely day there. It was well organised, and we were well looked after.

I met Matt Evans and his son Harrison from Noarlunga when our children were privileged to represent the State in the SAPSASSA Cross Country Nationals a few years back at Oakbank. Great bloke, and a good runner at that too !!

Our Track and Field season is still going as my Daughter has made the U13 girls State squad, flying out to Perth in a few weeks time. Little Athletics truly is a great way to get the kids out and make friends, it's healthy and fun. It doesn't matter what shape your in, the emphasise is on Fun, Family and Fitness.

Well done again on your Grandson's achievements

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to congratulate your Grandson on a very successful season at Little Athletics, I cant shout loud enough to say what a great activity Little Athletics is, almost 8,000 kids in our state are part of it !!

Our Track and Field season is still going as my Daughter has made the U13 girls State squad, flying out to Perth in a few weeks time. Little Athletics truly is a great way to get the kids out and make friends, it's healthy and fun. It doesn't matter what shape your in, the emphasise is on Fun, Family and Fitness.

Well done again on your Grandson's achievements

That is a fantastic achievement. I hope that she does well? I am amazed at how quickly the kids develop their confidence and stamina to push themselves.

My grandson is looking at the records held by Ryan (Fitzy) Fitzgerald (the Nova DJ) held at Noarlunga little athletics..that will take some doing though unless he grows 3 feet in the next few years!

• 5 months later...

Jetstar are presently the major sponsor of the Little Athletics.

They are including the details in their newsletters with details for each state. I have just enrolled 3 little ones into the programme...it's fun and they are loving it :smile:

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/laa?RMID=jstar.10984707&RRID=339143482&utm_source=jetmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20150929_LittleAths_au_A

I'm trying to see if we can fit it in with swimming lessons and cricket over the summer.

Son wanted to play tennis too but honestly, he can't do it all and swimming lessons I insist on and cricket is his preferred sport for summer. One extra thing that appeals would be good but I'd rather it be a more multi sport thing than one single sport. Plus tennis is blooming pricey and I don't go much on the Hot shots stuff for him. He is past that stuff now.

Annoying thing is the website centre locator isn't working for me and I can't see where our nearest options to go are. I'd prefer Blackwood way, Flaggy or Craigburn. Not fussed to go south or toward the coast more.

Edited by snifter
added a bit

Its $115 for one child. Ouch.

I found our nearby centres by going through the registration process and the list to choose from on there. Then googled the actual website for it direct. Bit long winded but getting there.

$115 covers the full season until April, a once a week training session if the centre runs one and the cross country season. Most centres are running free come and try sessions and you can go to two before you are asked to register if you want to keep going. I don't know about all the clubs but at the end of the season we give out certificates with the child's personal best times for the season and a trophy for each child. We also do a most improved award for the kids that show the most improvement over the season.

$115 covers the full season until April, a once a week training session if the centre runs one and the cross country season. Most centres are running free come and try sessions and you can go to two before you are asked to register if you want to keep going. I don't know about all the clubs but at the end of the season we give out certificates with the child's personal best times for the season and a trophy for each child. We also do a most improved award for the kids that show the most improvement over the season.

Thanks for that. Atm son is sitting on the fence. He said he'd go to a try out session if they offer one. I am loathed to spend $115 without him knowing if he'd like it or not. Plus I've just seen the kit prices and boggled a bit lol. Defo don't want to spend out on it if he really ends up not keen on it. He really wants to do cricket, the T20 blast thing they run through the summer which I am happy about. Just I'd like him to get to experience a cross section of sports and this seemed the way forward but it will come down to him.

I've just emailed them to ask about a try out session as they don't say anything on their website. If they do one, we'll go along.

You can register for a come and try session here - http://salaa.org.au/Centres/Come-and-Try. SA Little Athletics are trying to get everything done online this year and some clubs are a bit more strict about registering online than others. We don't bother - out of 36 come and try's in our first week only one registered online (and that was my youngest who was all set to do cricket then changed his mind at the last minute and I didn't want to pay until I was sure he wouldn't change it back again immidiately afterwards.) When you do the registration for the club you are interested in it should tell you if they are charging or not. I think it's usually $5 if they do charge.