Preschool or kindy in Norwood

Guest ASOZ

Hello! I'm new on here and I've just been looking at some other threads and posts and realised my initial post was a bit brief!

My husband and I are moving from the UK to Adelaide in under 8 weeks. Neither of us has lived in Adelaide before so we are hoping to get a feel for suburbs and areas when we arrive. We will probably focus our search on the eastern suburbs (if we can afford this area) or beachside suburbs.

We have a 4 year old daughter so we're looking for preschools and possibly day care centres in these areas. If anyone has any recommendations for preschools in or near Norwood and near Glenelg or Brighton, we would really appreciate your help! In the absence of any kind of ofsted style reporting and any real local knowledge , we feel a bit lost. We've also been told that some places have waiting lists of up to a year! Any advice or info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello and welcome :)

I can't really give any info on per schools as we are past that stage. When is your daughter 5? It may be she can start school in January depending on her birthdate.

School wise round Brighton I'd say Paringa Park primary wins hands down for me. It's a zoned primary and they do adhere to this strictly.

Hello and thanks so much for your reply. Our daughter turns 5 next July. My understanding is that she would have to start school in January 2016? Is that right? I will look into paringa park and see if they have an attached preschool. Thanks again.

Yes, a birthday then would see her start in 2016. Had she turned 5 before the end of April she'd be in the 2015 cut off.

I think there is a nice kindy or two around the Brighton and Glenelg suburbs. There is a Montessori not far over in a nearby suburb. I think someone on here has their little one go there, if so maybe they'll see this and post.

Hello and thanks so much for your reply. Our daughter turns 5 next July. My understanding is that she would have to start school in January 2016? Is that right? I will look into paringa park and see if they have an attached preschool. Thanks again.

Hello Asoz

Yes you are right...if your girl turns 5 in July 2015 you need to enrol for her in Jan 2016 for reception. You may visit http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/ for details of admissions, also search schools area wise. Norwood is on eastern side, with plenty of good schools nearby areas. If you want to look at western beach side look at Glengowrie, Plympton, Camden Park, etc. Brighton and Glenelg is too pricey to rent or buy house. Also you community daycare centres in Brighton/Glenelg area are fully booked there is waitlist of more than 10-15months!!! However, private childcare centre are available such as Goodstart early learning. Remember, for schooling you have option of private schools (catholic fees around $2.5k-$3.5K per year for reception) and public schools fees around $350-450 per year. If you need any more details please let me know.

Guest Sarah Bradley

I work up at the Norwood end of town at Trinity Gardens Primary. Very nice school and great kids it also has a split system with a Steiner education stream running alongside the mainstream, which makes it unique the fees are slightly higher for the Steiner Stream. There is also a kindy on site. I live near Marion my daughter went to Marion Primary nice little small school, but that was a while ago. Good luck with the hunting we went visiting when we arrived and picked a house near the school we chose.

Thanks so much for all of your helpful advice and information. I think we will look at schools first and then houses too. I can't believe the waiting lists for some of the childcare centres! I guess I need to start contacting places ASAP! Thanks again

Hi there

I think it would be in your interest to look at schools first as mentioned. As your child is older it may be slightly easier to get her into childcare as the ratio is different..

You could also look at Family Daycare. I am a FDC provider living in Stonyfell not far from Norwood and if you do decide to live in the eastern suburbs please send me a 'PM' and I will be able to advice you.

There is a great shortage of good quality childcare here in Adelaide.