Moana/ mclaren vale primary school

Caz and Ian

Two out of our three kiddies are at McLaren Vale - which is very full and zoned so that's worth thinking about. The school is pretty good - nice spot, friendly enough, good outdoor space and all that. They seem short on doing anything beyond normal teaching though, not many clubs. Teaching wise we have found it a bit hit and miss, some teachers are great but there are a few that seem to be just ticking over till retirement and our kiddies struggle with them as there is little motivation or enthusiasm from the those teachers. They were previously at Henley Beach and we didn't think that was especially good either so maybe it's our expectations. I don't have any horror stories from the McLaren Vale school anyway, it does the job but not much more.

I know what you mean about going around in circles - we also looked at Old Noarlunga primary school which is small and I often think would have been better for ours - though until they try it you just don't know. If we had the funds we would have probably tried out the Waldorf school which is perhaps a little alternative, but the times we have visited we felt that the teachers probably just put that more in - and it really is quite a lovely space for learning.

On the other hand, our eldest has moved on to Willunga High School and is having a fantastic time - plenty of clubs, really happy and we have no concerns there at all.

We have also found with McLaren Vale, with our boy being in year 6, that most of his friends are leaving at the end of year 6 to go to Tatichilla so the year 7 becomes fairly quiet.

Two out of our three kiddies are at McLaren Vale - which is very full and zoned so that's worth thinking about. The school is pretty good - nice spot, friendly enough, good outdoor space and all that. They seem short on doing anything beyond normal teaching though, not many clubs. Teaching wise we have found it a bit hit and miss, some teachers are great but there are a few that seem to be just ticking over till retirement and our kiddies struggle with them as there is little motivation or enthusiasm from the those teachers. They were previously at Henley Beach and we didn't think that was especially good either so maybe it's our expectations. I don't have any horror stories from the McLaren Vale school anyway, it does the job but not much more.

I know what you mean about going around in circles - we also looked at Old Noarlunga primary school which is small and I often think would have been better for ours - though until they try it you just don't know. If we had the funds we would have probably tried out the Waldorf school which is perhaps a little alternative, but the times we have visited we felt that the teachers probably just put that more in - and it really is quite a lovely space for learning.

On the other hand, our eldest has moved on to Willunga High School and is having a fantastic time - plenty of clubs, really happy and we have no concerns there at all.

We have also found with McLaren Vale, with our boy being in year 6, that most of his friends are leaving at the end of year 6 to go to Tatichilla so the year 7 becomes fairly quiet.

Thanks for info zebedee, some interesting points