Would Lucy get PR???

Guest jill wright

Guest jill wright

Hi all my daughter Lucy will prob be 16.5 - 17 yrs when we get out there. The thing is what would her options be??? The biggest worry we have (one I know which will prob make us decide not to go) is the fact that being on the sir 475 visa if Lucy went to Uni the fees would be immense(even on a pr visa) to add to this another major factor I have read on another forum and one which I wasn't aware of is the fact that when we apply for PR after 2 years Lucy would be 19 + and if we can't prove shes dependent on us ie not in education she would have to apply for a visa in her own right and wouldn't get one. Could anybody enlighten us . Is the education path the same as here A levels (or equivalent) from 16- 18 then uni and would Lucy have to carry on with her education (whether she wants to or not) in order to be eligible to be included as a dependent when we apply for pr

Jill (if only I had a crystal ball)

Guest melbourneben

Hi. Kids finish school when there 17, so its just one year more compared to the u.k. Im not sure if they can then go straight to UNI from school or if they go to a college first?

Your correct in saying that your daughter would need to be dependant on you to also gain PR when you apply after 2 years. If she was in full time work I dont think she would be eligible even if she was living with you, although id call immigration to check on this as I could be wrong. However if she's in eduction she would be classed as dependant.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi all my daughter Lucy will prob be 16.5 - 17 yrs when we get out there. The thing is what would her options be??? The biggest worry we have (one I know which will prob make us decide not to go) is the fact that being on the sir 475 visa if Lucy went to Uni the fees would be immense(even on a pr visa) to add to this another major factor I have read on another forum and one which I wasn't aware of is the fact that when we apply for PR after 2 years Lucy would be 19 + and if we can't prove shes dependent on us ie not in education she would have to apply for a visa in her own right and wouldn't get one. Could anybody enlighten us . Is the education path the same as here A levels (or equivalent) from 16- 18 then uni and would Lucy have to carry on with her education (whether she wants to or not) in order to be eligible to be included as a dependent when we apply for pr

Jill (if only I had a crystal ball)

If she is in education or "out of work" and dependant on you then she will be on your PR application. Could she not go back to do yrs 11 and 12? My son was almost 17 whne he started yr 11, after doing his GCSEs and 6 months of A levels in the UK. He fully completed his SACE and is now in uni, he is only half a year older than the rest. SACE is kind of between the GCSES and A levels, if that makes sence. They cAN leAve at 16 with nothing or stay and do the SACE then go on to uni

sarah

Guest BAZnDAF

You might want to check out the Remaining Relative Visa, which is used to take older children to Oz, if you get PR and she doesn't she would have to leave the country, then she would be a remaining relative! worth asking your agent about.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Also consider as SSP says the yr 11 and 12 option, that uses up 2 years. Lots of kids don't go straight on to Uni, they have a GAP year travelling or working. A casual type job during a GAP yr will not make her independent of you.
Yes providing she doesnt earn over a certain amount, which is similar to the amount they can earn in a pt time job $11929 p/a, if they go over this amount then you are no longer intitled to family assit for them.

sarah

if I remeber right I think they have a limit of hours.....could be 20, a friend went through this a year ago, they inrolled their daughter in a course of some sort.

Guest taylor family

I am sure that if she is on your visa application from the start it doesnt matter what age she is when you apply for pr she is still on your visa.

Sounds to me like you have cold feet and are looking for as many reasons not to go if I was you and are happy in the uk then stay and dont stress.

all the best the taylors.

Guest jill wright

Not stressing just want to make sure all bases are covered so to speak. I think I'm right in my concerns because alot changes when Lucy turns 18 visa wise. I'm not looking for reasons not to go I just won't go if there is any issue and this is just something I wanted to clarify. Not everybody emigrates because they're not happy in the uk you know hope you're happy in Adelaide .

Jill

Jill you are right to explore everything so you come with action plans and are fully prepared. This way you will get the most out of it, like when you fully research a holiday somewhere so you don't miss things you wished you'd seen, by wandering around aimlessly(of course there are times when this is enjoyable). It would be totally devo for you all to get settled here, loving your new life and then come up against major problems because your daughter might be excluded.

Get it all clear now, talk to Immigration about likely scenarios and then you can plan what you will do, so if your daughter knows that she may have to work at a very part tie job for a while to get PR, or study some imteresting little cheap course to keep her brain workiing then hopefully all will be fine. Aussie kids don't automatically go straight onto further study, some work for a few years while they work out what they want to do. School is a microcosm and not everyone discovers what might be available for them while they are at school., beyond mainstreamjobs.

Guest Django
I am sure that if she is on your visa application from the start it doesnt matter what age she is when you apply for pr she is still on your visa.

Sounds to me like you have cold feet and are looking for as many reasons not to go if I was you and are happy in the uk then stay and dont stress.

all the best the taylors.

I'm sure you researched all aspects of your visa, work, location, etc before you moved, Jill is just doing the same. I do agree that if you are happy and have a good life in the UK then maybe moving to the other side of the world is a big risk. That said I don't thnk Jill would be doing as much as she is in finding out what is what if she wasn't keen to be moving.

Jill,

I'm sorry can't remember, are you using an agent? If not I'm sure someone that is could ask their agent for you how your daughter stands regarding her age. It does seem to be a bit of a grey area.

Pete

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I am sure Jill is right about her daughter turning 18, I wouldnt think she is stressing asking this question.

sarah

Guest jill wright

Hi all thanks for your assistance and sorry if I seem to be wittering on. Pete we're not using an agent but I do need to clear this 'grey' area up really and think I'm getting there with the answer, we just need to make sure Lucy is dependent on us when we come to apply for PR one way or another and have taken these various suggestions how to do this on board. Anyway we're going on holiday today to the good old East Yorkshire Coast(Hornsea) and I won't have access to a computer. It will give us a bit of a break to mull things over. Hope its sunny and come on Leeds United in the final tomorrow.

once again thanks guys for your help and patience

Jill