Which primary school to choose from?

Amit Malhotra

Please suggest which school to go with?

My daughter will going to 4th level. Want to go for Public school with good % of international/non english students.

I am looking at the following sites for ranking and information:

http://house.ksou.cn/topschool.php?sta=vic&type=2&year=5

http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Primary/sa/sa_top_primary_schools.aspx

http://www.myschool.edu.au/

http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/

Looking into: Rose Park, Black Forest and Linden Park primary school.

I'm pretty sure Rose Park and Linden Park are zoned so you would need to live in the zones to get in to these schools. The surrounding areas are lovely and I'd be quite happy to live there, but they aren't cheap. Not sure about how many non English kids they have. The school my kids go to seems to have lots of kids from various international backgrounds. It also offers the IB. The school is Stradbroke primary. Last time I looked the Year 3 Naplan results weren't great, the year 5 results were average and the year 7 were pretty good.

I also agree that Magil would be worth a look, as would Trinity Gardens and Marryatville primary.

Do you want/have to live within a set distance of the CBD or are you flexible? I ask as you've said about Glenelg schools, eastern suburb ones and more. Commute times are going to vary for each of course. Magill is a very nice area and we have family who bought in that suburb based on the state schooling choices being so good. They are very happy with things there. They commute slightly to the northern side of the CBD from there. One of their concerns was it was a decent commute for them to get to work and they can do this in less than half an hour.

You are jumping about all over the map, which is fine, but its hard to pick a school until you are here and can view it and the suburb(s) its in or that surround it. You may love one suburb, dislike the school, or vice versa. I'd honestly go with suburbs first after you arrive, take a look round, see what appeals and narrow down school options after that, unless you find a school you absolutely must send your child to and then work out from that point. Consider talso if you plan to buy a house in the future if you can afford to buy in that same suburb or one close enough to it to make it a viable daily school commute. Otherwise you are faced with either changing schools or driving quite a long way in rush hour traffic to get to the school. Cost of renting to buying can vary greatly and many of the areas/schools you mention are pricey suburbs to buy in. As can the ones surrounding them also cost.

I wanted to live near the beach, thats why I was looking for Glenelg area and as I will be working in a IT firm and my wife will be working in a call centre we wanted the area to be close to CBT. We can offered 1/2 room private home for rent with the budget of $250 to $300 a week. Glenelg Looked within reach of that. However I can't see that school on the rating map and feedback provided was also not good so looking for more options now. I will not buy a car for first few months as I am waiting for my home to be sold in India which will squeeze my budget.

I wanted to live near the beach, thats why I was looking for Glenelg area and as I will be working in a IT firm and my wife will be working in a call centre we wanted the area to be close to CBT. We can offered 1/2 room private home for rent with the budget of $250 to $300 a week. Glenelg Looked within reach of that. However I can't see that school on the rating map and feedback provided was also not good so looking for more options now. I will not buy a car for first few months as I am waiting for my home to be sold in India which will squeeze my budget.

What about suburbs that offer a train commute? That could open up a few more beach suburbs with decent school options perhaps?

Glenelg in rush hour is not a 30 minute commute by tram or bus, least I don't think so. I recall it taking 40 minutes by tram to the CBD.

Paringa Park primary is a lovely school, very well respected. I'd recommend it. I know people with kids there and have visited it a fair bit also. It is zoned however and its a north Brighton/Somerton suburb it falls in to. If living in the zone for it you could be closer to the beach there than from some parts of Glenelg east or south even. It also has plenty of kids from overseas there and some great teachers.

http://www.paringpkps.sa.edu.au/enrolmentzone.htm

Edited by snifter
typo

I have checked both the schools they are far away about 40 min bus ride from CBD, can anyone rate Black Forest or Richmond as in provide any reviews or feedback.

None of the schools I have mentioned are 40 minutes from the CBD by bus. Stradbroke is the furthest and is 30 minutes by bus. Magil probably about the same. Rose Park and Linden Park are walking distance to the CBD and you could probably walk it in less than 40 minutes so wouldn't be anything like that on the bus. Trinity Gardens is about 15 minutes on the bus to the CBD and I'm not sure about Marryatville but it wouldn't be much more. Norwood is another school you could consider and a Norwood is also walking distance to the CBD. All of these are Eastern Suburb schools and therefore none of them are that close to the beach though.

Edited by NicF

You could take a look at schools with IELC (Intensive English Language Course) units (previously called NAP, for New Arrivals Program) as there will be children recently arrived from overseas as well as mainstream children within the same school. There are a number of these schools in Adelaide, including Richmond PS, Goodwood PS, Gilles Street PS, Pennington PS and Cowandilla PS. You can search on the DECD website for a full list.

Most schools will have kids from overseas.

My sons first school he was in a class of 20 and had 4 other kids from overseas in there. His new school, his Y1 class had 3 other kids. In his Y2 class he has 3 or 4 from overseas. Plus there are lots of kids who were born here in Aus to parents who are migrants and speak another language as their first language at home.