mid term school enrollment

rahul

Greetings forum !!

A little about my self :

I plan to make the move to migrate there around 20 August 2015 , under 190 category

,with my wife and 2 children , one in standard 4 and younger one in standard 2 .They both go here to CBSE , Indian syllabus.

Wanted to know if they can get admission in schools there in mid-term , do the school accept children in mid-term.

or i will have to wait until the next new session start in 2016.

My plan is to find some accommodation for a couple of month , and search for Job.

until that time can i get my kids enrolled in on of nearby non-zoned schools.

Guest wen66

Welcome rahul. I wouldn't imagine there would be a problem. May depend it the school has places. I waited till the beginning of the new term, only because it was so close to the end of the academic year. Email the schools in question and ask about their enrolment policy.

There are a few folk on here who are very clued up on the school stuff and have been very helpful. Check the education/kids part of the forum for more info too.

:smile:

Here you go: http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/kids-down-under/

Edited by wen66
extra info

I called linden Park school and confirmed they will take my daughter who just passed year 3 this month. However they will see if she needs to go in for year 3 or 4 as per her age. We prefer to go for year 3 as she is already a year ahead of her age (8) this month. You can call the schools before yOu arrive and they will support you and will provide any help you want

Yes you are right @Rachie, it has about 51% kids who are non english back ground.

@rahul: Most of the good schools are zoned these days and if you are coming in end of August then your kids will be enrolling in term 4 of that year. Call the schools and you will get good support. Ask for there e-mail address so that you can send your questions.

Note: August is not a good time for Jobs, I am coming in June and already worried. So prepare yourself for the same. It may get delayed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Amit, Rahul and Rachie

Good day to you all.

My name is Amit, a professional graphic designer from India, and will be landing Adelaide by first week of May 2015.

My daughter is 8 years old and I am looking for a school in which she can cop up with syllabus and study system.

I have also heard about NAPLAN for the students who have difficulties understanding foreign language.

Although my daughter is pretty good in English still I need to know what is NAPLAN for and how could I enroll my daughter for the same.

Is it possible to get my daughter admitted to the school a week later after the second term started as we will be reaching by 3rd of May and 2nd term begins on 27th April.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Amit

Hi Amit, Rahul and Rachie

Good day to you all.

My name is Amit, a professional graphic designer from India, and will be landing Adelaide by first week of May 2015.

And yes, your daughter would be able to start the second week or mid term. Lots of kids do this if they move house or move interstate or arrive in the country.

My daughter is 8 years old and I am looking for a school in which she can cop up with syllabus and study system.

I have also heard about NAPLAN for the students who have difficulties understanding foreign language.

Although my daughter is pretty good in English still I need to know what is NAPLAN for and how could I enroll my daughter for the same.

Is it possible to get my daughter admitted to the school a week later after the second term started as we will be reaching by 3rd of May and 2nd term begins on 27th April.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Amit

Hello and welcome to the forum Amit :)

NAPLAN stands for National Assessment Program - Literacy and numeracy. You can read about it here http://www.nap.edu.au/naplan/naplan.html

Its an annual assessment done at set years throughout a childs school life. Its not something you enrol for so don't worry.

Lots of schools have students from overseas whose native language isn't English. Be aware that if a school is zoned then you may well be required to provide proof you are residing in the zone in a long term tenancy. I know a number of zoned schools that ask for proof of this as demand for places is high. Some are not full or close to capacity atm so are more willing to relax the zone rule a bit and allow children from outside the zone but it really will depend on the school. Non zoned schools its not an issue although they may well advise you to consider the school nearest to you first if your choice of school is further away.

There is also this thread with lots of info/links about the schooling here in South Australia.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/kids-down-under/44624-useful-links-schools-primary-high-school.html

Good luck with the move :)

have also heard about NAPLAN for the students who have difficulties understanding foreign language.

Is it possible to get my daughter admitted to the school a week later after the second term started

Hi Amit,

There was a similar question some time ago, so maybe have a look at it?

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/kids-down-under/43489-primary-school-non-english-children.html#post300544

NAPLAN is just as Snifter says; I think you are thinking of EALD / ELS in schools. Both these are mentioned in the above thread (I know, I mentioned them lol!).

As for mid-term enrollment, students can start any time during the term (well, they have at the schools I've worked in), so I wouldn't worry about that.

Hope that helps,

LC

Amit as you are from India (I guess) and my daughter is also 8 when I looked into schools for her I checked my school website and see the % of non English students. The one I zeroed in on are - linden park and William light. Most probably I will go for William light as the area in wishing our budget on less then $300 a week. The suburb is plympton. Do PM me your contact details I will get in touch with u