Advice on Kindergarten appreciated

Undecided

Hi folks

My husband has been offered a job in Adelaide and we are considering a move over from the north-west with our 4 children. They will be 9,8,4 & 2. At the moment the oldest 3 are all in school full time as my 4 year old is in reception (birthday end of July). As i understand it, when we move she would be looking at going into kindergarten not pre-primary.

I wondered if any parents or teachers could give me a bit of advice on the curriculum/early years education at this stage? This year she will cover basic phonics up to diagraphs/triagraphs, letter formation and today i have a meeting at school about how they teach reading.

I have an image of kindergarten being more set up like nursery..which im sure is likely to be a bit off track but i'd be really grateful if anyone could set me straight?

I suppose i have a few concerns, about all 3, that as they will be moving down years, if the move does not become permanent, will it have a big impact their on return to the UK?

I dont want to cause any offence, and realise that there is always a leap if faith element to big decisions..I just want to be armed with as much info as i can to make a well informed decision.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Sarah

Hello and welcome.

My first thing would be to say don't view it was moving down years. Its a different country, different school year start and end and different intake based on DOB. Depending on the DOB of your children they may be in the same year as they are leaving or may be a year lower. However, this isn't always a bad thing, especially for those born at the younger end of the UK school year. It can mean they are the older in their year group here.

Mine has only ever done school here as was too old for kindy when we moved. So far I've been really happy with the schooling. However, it is more laid back and not so full on as the English system IMHO. I prefer it. I feel it does focus less intently on the academic aspect in the early years but I think it also allows kids a bit more freedom to develop at their own pace and to flourish as individuals. But they do learn the things you are asking about, I can assure you. Perhaps not at the same age of course as kids before this year didn't start school till the term after they turned 5. Now there is a once a year intake in Jan and the cut off means that the youngest will turn 5 within 3 months of them starting school, by the end of April.

Kindy, that year before starting school here, is a bit school like from what I gather. They do the basics but it is still only kindy. Of course, going via a private school may see it be a bit more school like, but as we didn't do it, can't say. My neice is currently having her settling in days at her kindy where she starts next Jan. She is 4, loves it and can't wait. Her parents are happy with it and really like the kindy. Hopefully others can chime in with how they find it.

If you are on a temp 4 year visa then consider the move a temp one anyways is my suggestion and ensure you plan to return before the GCSE choices are made. If its a PR visa then you again have options. I think a couple of years out of an education system in another first world one is not a bad thing. Nor is moving back in to the one you left. So long as they are well supported and ok with things. Also the experience to live overseas, see new things, travel and learn about other ways of life is a huge learning experience in itself and not to be dismissed.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed reply Snifter...and for deciphering my typos!

As i understand it, the job offer is permanent but the move is made on a temp sponsored visa initially, then would sponsor transition to pr after 2 years. I am not sure of the details as not read over all the documents yet but presume that a direct entry pr visa has longer processing times i.e delayed start dates.

I do understand that approaching it with an open mind will work out best and for both my children who are among the youngest in their classes i hope it could be of huge benefit, my biggest concern would be if we had to return to the UK when my eldest would be in high school and he found it a harder transition. But then who knows the impact or benefits that living in another country may offer him too...oh to have a crystal ball :wacko:

Thanks again for the quick response.

Sarah