State school fees

snifter

Just had the letter re the school fees for next year.

I didn't realise the 'standard sum' is set at $229 for primary and $303 for secondary.

Some schools obviously then have an additional sum on top of this and the amount can vary. Our school is one of these, to the tune of over $100 extra. Don't mind in the least paying it as we feel the school is a big improvement on the previous school (which iirc had the standard fees only) and we feel our son is benefitting from being there. We knew when we changed schools the school fees would be a bit more so it wasn't a shock.

Got me wondering how common it is for schools to add extra onto the standard sum? And if there is a limit to how much they can charge? Or do they just limit themselves and seek extra funding via fundraising or some such?

The primary school my youngest goes to are charging $385 for next year. They do provide pretty much everything the kids need though and we don't have to provide any pens, pencils or paper or anything. They also do an excursion charge of $75 for the year that you can choose whether or not to pay. This then covers any excursions during the year until they have spent the full allowance. If they don't spend it you get a credit on next years fees or a refund. I prefer to pay this then I'm not trying to find the right money each time an excursion comes up but you can choose to pay for each excursion as they happen.

We haven't had notification of the high school fees yet (or I've lost it) but last year it was about $800 plus extra for certain subjects. And we had to buy a whole load of stationary from a long list that also varied by subject. I doubt there would be many high schools that didn't charge more than the $303 standard sum.

Got me wondering how common it is for schools to add extra onto the standard sum? And if there is a limit to how much they can charge? Or do they just limit themselves and seek extra funding via fundraising or some such?

My daughters school is also asking parents to buy an IPAD (and it does have to be an IPAD) for the children to use next year. Whilst she is not "financially disadvantaged", the cost of this on top of the next years fees++ for two children is worrying her and will leave a hole in her budget. Should this be required and paid for by parents? or is there another way, ie. school fundraising, as done in some schools in WA.

My daughters school is also asking parents to buy an IPAD (and it does have to be an IPAD) for the children to use next year. Whilst she is not "financially disadvantaged", the cost of this on top of the next years fees++ for two children is worrying her and will leave a hole in her budget. Should this be required and paid for by parents? or is there another way, ie. school fundraising, as done in some schools in WA.

Had forgotten about the IT requirement. We have also had to buy my eldest a laptop for high school. We ended up buying a MacBook for various reasons but it was about the same cost as the recommended windows laptops, so over $1000. The high school do have a number of loan laptops for students who can't or won't get their own, which I think should be an option in all schools where tech is required.

We have the same. Am thinking we'll let ours have our current family iPad for school as its a couple of years old now and husband don't use it much as has his phones and computers and I can manage without it and will probably get a new one for us all at home at some point. Might even do it with the Christmas money my parents send and add it to the birthday fund and hopefully have enough. Although I had planned to spend it on other presents, if we think it would be better to get a new iPad, we'll do that. Otherwise we'd be using the home iPad for school and home and it would be being carted into school every day which isn't ideal. Or left there for the week and home on weekends. Or not providing one.

I do wonder how its going to go re the iPads. I know they have the school ones and kids will continue to use them if they don't have their own. I'm curious to see how many kids will have their own though. It might not be as many as we might think. It might be more. I'm glad we are an Apple household (thanks to husbands work and his insistence we all use Apple therefore so it all links up) so we at least have one already and it can be used if needed. I'm not keen to splash out $600 if I don't have to though. I do hope some fundraising this year can go toward buying more iPads for the school use. I've not read if they plan to do this. I looked at the school fees, they've increased by $20 and if you add up that per kid per class, in a class of 30 kids say its the cost of a new iPad for each class. No idea if this is where the funds are going though.

I do wonder how its going to go re the iPads. I know they have the school ones and kids will continue to use them if they don't have their own. I'm curious to see how many kids will have their own though. It might not be as many as we might think. It might be more.

I remember when Year 8 students were first expected to have an iPad, and they pretty much all did. The next year it seemed less of a surprise for parents, possibly because they were aware of the need, or the benefits, maybe just because having a laptop is something more ( if not most ) high schools now want.

The iPad school I have experience of is an Apple School of Excellence, and IMHO, it was brilliant! The teachers receive extra Apple training so the kids really learn how to get the best from their technology. The kind of work they are able to do has been really quite exciting, and seems more effective than using laptops.

Another thing I prefer about the iPads is that it is harder for students to nestle down behind a screen to go on games! Plus, there were fewer problems with the iPads than with laptops.

Although the iPads can be expensive, I don't think kids need the top-of-the-range ones. That said, I would recommend a good case to protect the screen! Kids can do some ridiculously thoughtless things, and at @$100 for a new screen, it's not something I'd want to be doing on a regular basis!

As for fees, there used to be a bit which was 'voluntary' and couldn't be chased up as a debt. I don't know if that's still the case, as our kids are too old for high school now! I do know that whereas schools used to be responsible for chasing up debt, they now let DECD do it.

LC

Our primary fees for next year will be $290 and we haven't heard from the high school yet, so definitely over the standard but not massively.

I'm really surprised that some primaries are asking for BYOD and that they state Apple/iPad rather than bring what you like/can. I can't agree that Apples are being pushed in schools, this will lead to such a monopoly as children from primary age are being targeted by such direct marketing; imagine if McDonald's wanted to take over the canteen and you weren't allowed to send a packed lunch.

Our primary fees for next year will be $290 and we haven't heard from the high school yet, so definitely over the standard but not massively.

I'm really surprised that some primaries are asking for BYOD and that they state Apple/iPad rather than bring what you like/can. I can't agree that Apples are being pushed in schools, this will lead to such a monopoly as children from primary age are being targeted by such direct marketing; imagine if McDonald's wanted to take over the canteen and you weren't allowed to send a packed lunch.

My understanding of why its iPads is that the school uses iMacs for its teachers and school computers and so other tablets won't sync and be able to be used with the school devices and software. It would be the same issue if the school used Windows for its teaching platform and everyone had to supply a Windows compatible device. We'd have to buy one of those to send to school if we wanted to supply one for personal use for our son. Windows or Apple, some will run one or the other or both. And some won't have either perhaps.

I must admit, for us it was a plus point the school we opted for used iMacs as we only have Apple at home so it wasn't another thing for us to get to grips with again or son to have to learn something different to what he used at home. His old school was Windows but it didn't really impact as they only had a couple of computers per class and in those early years didn't use them that much for stuff.

Edited by snifter
added a line

My daughters school has also said she needs to have an iPad, but there are no school fees to pay the year they enter because of having to buy the iPad

I'm guessing thats high school. I think that's a fair compromise if you have to buy an iPad the year they start.

Are you guys here yet or still to make the move?

It would be the same issue if the school used Windows for its teaching platform and everyone had to supply a Windows compatible device. We'd have to buy one of those to send to school if we wanted to supply one for personal use for our son. Windows or Apple, some will run one or the other or both. And some won't have either perhaps.

But the choice of windows devices are much more variable in price and spec - making it more affordable for more people; whereas iPads are iPads and cost a fortune.

But the choice of windows devices are much more variable in price and spec - making it more affordable for more people; whereas iPads are iPads and cost a fortune.

There is that aspect. For us, we are an all Apple family and have been for a long time now. The stuff just works and we have so few issues with the systems compared to when we were running Windows. My only problem now is my computer is old and slow (and a new HD isn't enough) so I accept its a bit of time to do anything on it and am saving for a new one.

Also as we tie into an Apple school luckily, its not a big stretch for us. Hopefully HS will be Apple or work with both. I'd suggest anyone coming into a primary school should see what computers and so on they run on and what the IT tie ins are to ensure they can budget or opt out if they prefer and just carry on using the schools own. We did the school tour and they explained why they used Apple and so on and we were happy with this. We'd had very little IT stuff apart from the basics at sons previous school here so this was a big improvement for us and more what we wanted from a school (along with a heap of other stuff of course). A lot of the programmes they both run are similar and you can still do most of the same things on either system. I think reliabilty and security is better on Apple but that is a personal view.

I'd suggest anyone coming into a primary school should see what computers and so on they run on and what the IT tie ins are to ensure they can budget or opt out if they prefer and just carry on using the schools own. We did the school tour and they explained why they used Apple and so on and we were happy with this. We'd had very little IT stuff apart from the basics at sons previous school here so this was a big improvement for us and more what we wanted from a school (along with a heap of other stuff of course). .

It's been a while since I had much to do with the Education Dept. in SA. Can you tell me whether individual schools actually have a choice as to which type of computers they us, or prefer, or does the Dept decide? I would think there would be problems if schools had been given free rein to choose the system they prefer. What if the area had no alternative primary schools.

It's been a while since I had much to do with the Education Dept. in SA. Can you tell me whether individual schools actually have a choice as to which type of computers they us, or prefer, or does the Dept decide? I would think there would be problems if schools had been given free rein to choose the system they prefer. What if the area had no alternative primary schools.

Our sons first school here was Windows iirc. And some other primaries I looked round also ran Windows. Others used Apple. I don't know if there is a council or area policy or if its school based.

Primary wise, I think there will always be alternatives. Most primary schools are not zoned and there are often a number in an area to choose from. We had the choice of 4 or 5 within a few km of our door and only two of those were zoned. And all of them were decent schools IMHO. All an overall improvement on our sons first school here. And that one we went with one further afield that wasn't zoned and passed over the school we were living within the zone for at the time.

I had an orientation meeting at Willunga High School a few nights ago and part of that was their BYOD policy - they support Chromebooks, Windows and Apple....which is great as that vaguely runs least cost > more expensive. I think that inclusion is good and especially for a public school which won't have bottomless pockets. Obviously all part of the school choice process. Quite chuffed to see Chromebooks being included as they are starting to creep into the workplace.

I had an orientation meeting at Willunga High School a few nights ago and part of that was their BYOD policy - they support Chromebooks, Windows and Apple....which is great as that vaguely runs least cost > more expensive. I think that inclusion is good and especially for a public school which won't have bottomless pockets. Obviously all part of the school choice process. Quite chuffed to see Chromebooks being included as they are starting to creep into the workplace.

I'd figure high schools should be set up for all sorts. Hope its the norm. You can't expect an entire HS of parents to buy a laptop for their kids and not buy the one they prefer/want within their price range. Everyone is going to want different. I know kids using Windows, some on Macs, it varies. Glad to hear Willunga has options :)

Hi All, haven't posted on here for a while, but I got my son's fees for his 2nd year in High school and they came in at $700 and that is not including subject choices. He had got his IPad for his 1st year.

In year 10 he will be using a Apple Mac,I'm glad he's got 1 more year left of using his iPad, that would give me time to save up.

• 2 weeks later...

To update about the BYO device thing. Had the letter home about the BYO iPad for next year (primary school).

Its clearly a voluntary programme. Those not bringing iPads will continue to use the schools own.

They explained and said they undertook extensive research into the BYO device system. Networked with other schools around the country etc about it. They list the aims of the BYO programme and do explain why other devices are not supported. They say the majority of schools in Aus with the BYO tablet programme are solely using iPads and that it is important that they (the school) are able to use a common mobile programme for consistant use of apps and resources etc. That aspect makes more sense to me at primary level anyways, more so if the school uses Apple already in its classrooms.

They'll suppport from iPad2 and iPad minis will be supported although the preferene is for the full screen model.

So we are probably going to let ours take the home iPad in to use. I'll save my pennies/cents and buy another for myself at some point I guess if it has to stay at school most of the time.