Private Schools in Marino, Brighton, Glenelg area?

Mcgiverns

I don't know anything about the schools but NAPLAN results can be found on http://www.myschool.edu.au. I think details about number of kids is on there as well. Year 12 results don't get published although some schools will publish there year 12 results on there websites. Fees are usually on the school's own website, although can sometimes take some finding.

SPW fees are here http://spw.sa.edu.au/enrol/fees/

Immanuel fees here http://www.immanuel.sa.edu.au/PageFiles/4106579/4F_Immanuel_International%20%20Fees%202015_CRICOS%2000362G.pdf

FWIW there is also Westminster in Marion. My husband went there and speaks highly of it and we often go to events there over the year still. Its grounds and buildings are lovely. We also have friends who teach there. We are considering it for our son for HS although we are happy with our state primary till then.

SPW is on rather a small block of land iirc. Its sandwiched in in Glenelg. Immanuel (and Westminster) are far larger in terms of grounds and buildings/facilities on site.

What exactly are you hoping/wanting from a school? Is this long term till high school end sort of thing (obviously things change and all that) or short term for a 4 year stint? Religious aspect? Anything else?

SPW is primary only. Immanuel is primary to HS. As is Westminster. I know the primary school at Westminster has its own facilities and area and would imagine Immanuel would also as its on large grounds as well.

Enrolment wise, 2014 lists SPW as having 649, Immanuel 582 (and Westminster 1057).

Edited by snifter
eta

Thanks so much for your responses. Out intention is to come over in July - Indefinitely. I appreciate spw is junior only, it we got such a good feel when we were shown around a few years ago. I would prefer however the continuity of secondary school too though given the choice.

Re fees, attached are for Immanuel college, not the primary school. It seems the fees are $125 a month for first sibling (based on 12 months?) that would be around $1500 pu and spw $830. Have I worked that out right?

We didn't look at Westminster when we were over - even though on paper our favourite, but we believe the fees to be even higher.?? Any light you can shed on fees would be great.

We are c of e so would prefer a faith school but not a deal breaker.

All help appreciated.

Sarah

As I thought. Sadly Westminster would be out of our budget. Have I read the info right re fees for spw and Immanuel?

IS there any way of finding out where children tend to go after spw? How easy is it to get into secondary schools? How do their results compare y3 and y7? League tables very different to ours!

many thanks

Not sure you have the fees right, seems to me both primary schools are around $8000 pa. per child. Follow the links in Snifter's posts.

My children went to Immanuel College (and as boarders), but 15 years ago when it was much smaller. There is a pathway from the primary to the College, but not all children follow it, as the fees increase considerably.

I felt it was more important to be given a good school for their secondary education, but we did live in the country then, and the quality of high schools was not that great.

Are you set on that area? There are private primary schools in other suburban areas where the fees may be less.

Perhaps take a look at Woodcroft? Its in the other direction, in Morphett Vale but its not that far a drive as you'd be driving the opposite direction from rush hour traffic.

http://www.woodcroft.sa.edu.au/academic/junior-school

Fees are reasonable. We did consider it for a while as an option (though never got to doing a tour) when we were thinking to buy in the area but we bought a bit further over in the end and it has a fab state primary within walking distance so we didn't worry. We only plan to go private for high school now and even that may change.

Are you set on a private school for primary? If you are in the Marino area, well in nearby suburbs there are a few lovely state primary schools not too far away. They will require you to live in the zone for the school. Paringa Park is one that springs to mind, lovely school. Its in high demand and houses in the zone get snapped up.

As I thought. Sadly Westminster would be out of our budget. Have I read the info right re fees for spw and Immanuel?

IS there any way of finding out where children tend to go after spw? How easy is it to get into secondary schools? How do their results compare y3 and y7? League tables very different to ours!

many thanks

I don't really pay a huge amount of attention to the tables for NAPLAN results. I've noticed they can tend to fluctuate depending on the year group each time. Some stay steady, private schools generally seem to do well in NAPLAN but so do to a fair number of state primary schools.

I did use it as a rough guide when we were looking at areas and we narrowed down areas that we liked based around schools that ranked in the top 100, so lots of choice but it did cut out quite a few areas. Though we also were not considering those areas to live anyways so it didn't really make much difference. Just it at least gave me a shorter list to start with and narrow down from IYKWIM. I used the http://myschool.edu.au/ website lots for other aspects of researching schools. Plus going and looking at the ones we liked and narrowing it down more for where to buy.

I've no clue where kids tend to go after SPW tbh. Its an Anglican school so perhaps they go on to other schools of a similar nature? Although none are really close by, however Woodcroft is on the list. Or perhaps St Johns over in Belair, though that does seem a bit far to go

http://www.adelaide.anglican.com.au/community/education/schools/list-of-schools/

You'd have more private options school wise and distance/accessibility if you were based elsewhere probably but I appreciate if you are set on Marino. Though fees may be more or on a par.

Edited by snifter
eta