Anyone doing a school based apprenticeship?

Guest Alipally

Guest Alipally

Hi,

We are moving over in a couple of months (as accurate as it gets when you're in the middle of selling a house!)

Our 16 year old son, really really doesn't want to go back to school (but wouldn't mind TAFE:unsure:) He did a foundation C&G in construction instead of some GCSE's in prep for an apprenticeship. and we'll have his results before we leave (I hope!)

So my question is; Anyone out there on one of these courses at the moment... the fees are about $3500 per year, plus tools and uniforms, is it worth it? What will he get at the end of it. Would it be better for him to just go to TAFE?

We have PR, apparently these fees apply to everyone (read it on the SA gov't website)

My friend's son started a school based apprenticeship in yr 11 at school, continued with the company in yr 12 and went full time with them after leaving school, he also did holiday work with the company. I don't think they had to pay $3500 a year when he was at school, I think it was covered under the VET courses. It would be possible of course just to enrol in TAFE, that's where the cost comes into it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest katsmajic

J did his gcse's last year, was against going to school here etc wanted to go to TAFE instead, we convinced him to give schooling a try as at least he'd meet kids his own age group/local etc.

He really likes school now (never thought id hear him say that), next semester hes going to do a VET course through the TAFE, so he'll be at school 3 days and TAFE 2 days a week.

He could have gone on fulltime to TAFE but really wants to do an 'outdoor ed' class, they get to go kayaking, treking etc weekly and then go on camp, costs extra on top of school fees but not massively.

Maybe you could talk your lad into doing a term at school to try it out? Sept til Dec etc.

The TAFE new intakes doesnt start til Jan anyway so he will be sat twiddling his thumbs til then...if he started school at least he'd meet up and hopefully make friends.

Kat xxx