getting ready

Guest dotty

Guest dotty

Hi,

I am waiting for the visa (SIR 495) to come through and hope to be moving out august/september time.

Any help/ advice on the whole process of preparing to teach in Adelaide would be a huge help!

What can I do whilst still here to start things rolling? And can anyone recommend some sites to search for teaching jobs as I'm obviously looking in the wrong place !

Dotty

Guest jen&ian

Hi Dotty,

Sorry can't help directly on this one, just wanted to say hi. There are quite a few teachers on here who could help you I'm sure. I know I've seen some old threads on this topic in other sections of the forum, might be worth a mooch.

Jen :D

Guest muppetbro

1 send off loads of paperwork to have your qualifications assessed - yes i know you have laready done this for the trb stage of visa application but you have to sned off it all again at a cost - sent ours yesterday!

2 on arrival in s.a. you need to attend 2 days of training - first aid and child protection type day and then lodge proof of attendence with another load of paperwork - much of which you sent off in the first stage - again with a cost to you - expect 3/4 months before you are a registered teacher as i hear they are slow motion wheels of progress !!!

look in the education threads - all the detail is posted there many times over

teachers registration board of south australia

all forms can be downloaded from their website

sorry if i feel angry but were at the stage of being fed up with the overload of paperwork and evidence gathering having had our visas over 12 months - we arrive late august a nd intend to source out courses asap so by end november we are in position to start applying for work for the new school academic year 2008

are you aware of the state schools lottery- country service?

all the best - you will find their education system is a refreshing change however im confident in the next 10 years it will follow the same sad path of the uk system of death by testing and number crunching

p.s.

you are aware end may is deadline for resignations in uk if your considering coming over in september - up to date current references are a must on a rrival

martin

15 weeks and a alot to do

Guest dotty

Thank you both for your help.

I can't understand why you have to get qualifications assessed twice either. Or why don't they tell you this first time around so at least you could get 2 copies of everything!

I am currently teaching adults with learning disabilities on a sessional basis so can work up until the week I go if need be, but have no experience of secondary school so it will be a HUGE change.

3-4 months before starting work is scary as I'm going alone I'll need to get something to live on asap.

Is there as much supply teaching available as I'm led to believe?

Thanks again,

Dotty

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Libby1971

Right in the middle of this one...

We didn't do the qualifications assessment until we arrived here. We lodged it at the beginning of May. You can lodge your application for registration at the same time as asking them to assess qualifications.

What we did was this....

we went to the Teacher registration Board, and spoke to someone about our qualifications. They sent across the road to a shop called Penfolds where we used up half a ream of paper copying :

our birth certificates,

marriage certificates,

degree certificates,

degree transcripts,

teacher qualification certificate and transcript,

reference from school (must be recent)

letter that confirms who employed you and at what level on the payscale - we contacted the LEA who were used to this kind of request and sent out a letter to confirm length of service etc.

letter or whatever to confirm QTS

police checks

(I can't remember any others)

We then walked down the road a little further to the Council offices and asked for a Justice of the Peace. A nice little man came down, took us to his office and certified all the copies free of charge.

We took all these copies back to the TRB who absolutely refused to give us any indication of how much longer we would have to wait - 'it will take as long as it takes' was the standard response. My husband got in a mood and told them it would be bl**dy easier to move to Victoria to register there than jump through all SAa hoops. I don't think they liked that comment...

In the meantime we went to one of the mandatory courses on Child Protection which are held around the city. TRY AND BOOK THIS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE UK AS SOMETIMES THERE IS A DELAY. We started looking at the beginning of May and the earliest course we could get onto was held ona Saturday at the end of May. We spent 7 hours there and received a nice certificate (Publisher style) that we took to the Trb this Monday after having it copied and certified just as before.

The TRB staff were talking to an Australian lady and kindly were letting her now that if she hadn't heard from them within 3-4 weeks, please would she get in touch.

Anyway, after getting in a stress, I have been told that now that I have done the Child Protection Course, I will be registered by the end of week and should receive my certificate Saturday-ish!

To teach in a state school, I also need a first aid certificate and must register with the Department of Education and Child Services who will decide where to post me.

I have also been to the Catholic Education Board and took my passport, and police certificate with me. They copied those and my permission slip (so to speak) is on its way.

I have also been to SWITCH EDUCATIONAL RECRUITMENT who deal mostly with the private schools. They interviewed me and once I have my registration docs I will take those in adn I should be earning within a week of that point according to the nice lady Claire that I saw.

Pay through this agency is $172.00 per day and they pay the superannuation (I think pension contributions)...

I know of one school that is paying $300 dollars for relief teachers but I am not sure if the agency gets that or the teacher. One Headteacher we saw told us to drop off a copy of our CVs including a copy of our registration documents and what alot of schools do is have their own contact list of relief teachers that they approach directly.

I teach religious studies to years 7-13 in the UK and have been told that even though I have no experience of teaching in a religious school, I can still expect to have work quicker than my husband, a primary school teacher with 5 yrs experience at a Catholic school. I was asked if I was willing to teach adults. I have said fine so am not sure if that helped.

I realise that you may have all this info but this is our experience.

We arrived on 20th April and spent 2 weeks stressing about a multitude of things. I hope this gives you a sense of time scale. We brought enough money to last for about 3 months. I plan to send out CVs over the weekend with a covering letter to approach the agency sector that is linked to businesses and not schools.

Libby

Guest Tofster

Hi all,

Great post and very informative.

Thought we knew it all and now not quite so sure....!

OH is primary teacher and we sorted the skills assessment whilst in the UK (we are still in UK).

Skilled were passed as suitable and we now have TRB cert to verify this.

We are on a validation/reccie trip in July and have booked OH onto Mandatory Notification Course.

We will then return to UK and go back permanently to Oz in July '08. (Cutting it fine for the SIR regs and Mandatory Course expiry, but still within them)

So, can anyone answer:

is there anything else OH needs to do?. She has skills cert and is on Mandatory course. Does this course include first aid? If not, where can we find out about this first aid course. as OH (she) is main applicant, I'd like her to be "fully fledged" when we land permanently.

As it happens, I recall they say it will take 4-5 weeks to process, in reality it took nearer 8.

Any info gratefully received....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Libby1971

Hi

The child protection was previously known as mandatory training. It does not include first aid which costs $95 for another 7 hour day. The child protection course varies in cost - we did ours in Thebarton which is to the left of Adelaide CBD (is that west? Totally failed O level Geography! Can you tell?)

First aid providers are varied and plenty of choices are available. St John Ambulance seem to run the courses most frequently and so we have booked with them.

Police checks also need to be done for Australia but this should be done as part of the teacher registration process and it does say that a police check has been done on the front of the certificate (about the size of a supermarket receipt I might add).

We were given absolutely no time frame at all for how long it would take for registration to be complete but the skills assessment and registration was completed within 5 weeks and we had the certificates. Bear in mind that the certificates also show your address.

News up date on the job front. All in all, I am one p*ssed off person. The woman lied to me (alright, you could say I am hormonal and that may not be far from the truth) but the point is I am not working and the other half is. THAT was not the plan at all. He has had 2 days out at schools while I am yet to be offered even the crumbs of supply. NOT A HAPPY BUNNY AT ALL. He doesn't want to work and I am desperate to.

There was no cover left and OH says that the kids are like the children of the Stepford Wives - they do what they are told and get on with their work.

We went to the Lutheran education office this morning which was a colossal waste of time although the lady there was very friendly and copied our CVs etc etc to be forwarded to any schools that ask if the office have details etc etc. I spent HOURS and HOURS yesterday going through the phone book ringing schools all over Adelaide - no success at all bar 'drop off your CV'. They were supposed to say,'WANNA JOB?' I ended sobbing for hours all over the new puppy who didn't quite know what to make of the whole business. I am feeling a bit better now but roast potatoes can do that for a person.

Any more assistance required, give me a shout. I may not be able to answer you but the chances are that I may have tried it.

Libby

Guest Tofster
Hi

The child protection was previously known as mandatory training. It does not include first aid which costs $95 for another 7 hour day. The child protection course varies in cost - we did ours in Thebarton which is to the left of Adelaide CBD (is that west? Totally failed O level Geography! Can you tell?)

First aid providers are varied and plenty of choices are available. St John Ambulance seem to run the courses most frequently and so we have booked with them.

Police checks also need to be done for Australia but this should be done as part of the teacher registration process and it does say that a police check has been done on the front of the certificate (about the size of a supermarket receipt I might add).

We were given absolutely no time frame at all for how long it would take for registration to be complete but the skills assessment and registration was completed within 5 weeks and we had the certificates. Bear in mind that the certificates also show your address.

News up date on the job front. All in all, I am one p*ssed off person. The woman lied to me (alright, you could say I am hormonal and that may not be far from the truth) but the point is I am not working and the other half is. THAT was not the plan at all. He has had 2 days out at schools while I am yet to be offered even the crumbs of supply. NOT A HAPPY BUNNY AT ALL. He doesn't want to work and I am desperate to.

There was no cover left and OH says that the kids are like the children of the Stepford Wives - they do what they are told and get on with their work.

We went to the Lutheran education office this morning which was a colossal waste of time although the lady there was very friendly and copied our CVs etc etc to be forwarded to any schools that ask if the office have details etc etc. I spent HOURS and HOURS yesterday going through the phone book ringing schools all over Adelaide - no success at all bar 'drop off your CV'. They were supposed to say,'WANNA JOB?' I ended sobbing for hours all over the new puppy who didn't quite know what to make of the whole business. I am feeling a bit better now but roast potatoes can do that for a person.

Any more assistance required, give me a shout. I may not be able to answer you but the chances are that I may have tried it.

Libby

Doh !! Not what any of us wanted to hear...

OH (the lower primary teacher) has been getting jittery over the reports of no work. I have booked her onto Mandatory Notifcation(at Thebarton!) and First Aid - TRB passed already.

Is there no news from any agencies?. Have you tried Select Education and Premium Select??

Sorry for the questions - you are probably well on top of things and have tried every avenue. OH says if there is no work then that's it - we don't emigrate. She holds the cards - I am worthless in the emigration progress !!. I daren't show her your message.....

I have to say it's a bit disheartening. Friends in Adelaide who "know teachers" say there are loads of jobs and she won't have a problem getting a job.

The reality appears to be different. I have to say we need to hear it from the horses mouth - agencies and schools - and we are making arrangements/appointments as we speak for our rekkie visit in July. We can't believe there is no call for Primary Teachers (esp lower primary?) yet Secondary appear to be in demand.

That said, a friend of mine moved from W.Mids to Cambs (not Blighty to Oz, I admit!) but he had no work for few weeks, then he got supply (which he still is) and has been offered 3 full time jobs - so maybe it's just a matter of time.....(at the risk of sounding patronising).

The irony is, I've been approaching Companys for a job (for me) and have had a fantastic response (a job virtually guaranteed , I reckon). Sadly Kitchen and appliance salesmen aren't on the skilled occupation list........

We wish you all the bestest (!) but have to say your report has perhaps given us a reality check.

Yours, slightly glummer !!

Pete

Guest Libby1971

Sorry about that. I am feeling slightly more positive today although still irritated.:mad:

Yesterday had interviews with the other half which was great as it meant he wasn't in work but today he had a call and I didn't. I feel so unloved! I am secondary and he is upper primary. I was told that the vacancies were the other way around but our experience has been quite the contrary. I am about to phone the agency for an update!

I called Select Education and they have a comprehensive list of requirements. :rolleyes:As well as quals/ academic transcripts, teacher registration, DECS clearance, catholic clearance, first aid and mandatory child protection, CV, passport ID photos, and bank details, they also want proof of ID and have rated things for 100 points total. I am so sick of copying docs and getting them certified - that poor JP at Adelaide council offices is going to have to be bought a hot dinner if I go to see him much more!

I hear that teachers are really in demand. They probably are but god alone knows where. I hope that things will improve once the first aid certificate is done along with DECS but that shouldn't be the problem for the private schools. What I was told alot of yesterday was that I needed to be a practising Christian, with a priest as a reference, in order to become a member of staff. I am not a practising Christian and didn't feel that lying was appropriate.

Nonetheless I am down but still fighting. I am getting bored of the bureaucracy so am seriously considering different employment options altogether. I have redone the personal statement and CV and am about to do a posting to every agency I can find and all the employers advertising last weekend for anything half decent.

Any more suggestions from you lovely people would be gratefully received... :confused:

Libby

Guest dglamoore

Hi Libby

Sorry to see things are not going too well on the job front at the mo. I am sure something will come up for you :) Have some PG Tips here that might make you feel better ;)

Lisa:cool:

Guest Tofster
Sorry about that. I am feeling slightly more positive today although still irritated.:mad:

Yesterday had interviews with the other half which was great as it meant he wasn't in work but today he had a call and I didn't. I feel so unloved! I am secondary and he is upper primary. I was told that the vacancies were the other way around but our experience has been quite the contrary. I am about to phone the agency for an update!

I called Select Education and they have a comprehensive list of requirements. :rolleyes:As well as quals/ academic transcripts, teacher registration, DECS clearance, catholic clearance, first aid and mandatory child protection, CV, passport ID photos, and bank details, they also want proof of ID and have rated things for 100 points total. I am so sick of copying docs and getting them certified - that poor JP at Adelaide council offices is going to have to be bought a hot dinner if I go to see him much more!

I hear that teachers are really in demand. They probably are but god alone knows where. I hope that things will improve once the first aid certificate is done along with DECS but that shouldn't be the problem for the private schools. What I was told alot of yesterday was that I needed to be a practising Christian, with a priest as a reference, in order to become a member of staff. I am not a practising Christian and didn't feel that lying was appropriate.

Nonetheless I am down but still fighting. I am getting bored of the bureaucracy so am seriously considering different employment options altogether. I have redone the personal statement and CV and am about to do a posting to every agency I can find and all the employers advertising last weekend for anything half decent.

Any more suggestions from you lovely people would be gratefully received... :confused:

Libby

I have heard that the Aussies are "certificate mad" and maybe it is down to the fact that other applicants have all the documents already and they are favoured. When you have DECS and First Aid, it may just tip the balance.

I have the 100 point list and the document requirement sheet, so we will be coming heavily armed !!

OH is Roman Catholic, not practising, but it seems a bit harsh to have to be a regular church goer to be considered for staff....!

What is the teacher profile there? Are they mainly Aussies and do the schools favour "their own" before hiring a Brit?

Regards

Peter

Guest Libby1971

Hi Peter

I have been told to expect not to be favoured for a position until I have got one, if that makes any sense at all.

Once I am known within the system then I will find it easier to get work. It is just getting into the system that is harder. The system that operates expects all teachers with DECS approval to have first aid etc. You don't need DECS to work in the catholic schools but clearly there aren't as many of those as state schools. It all takes time that I don't want to wait. That is what it boils down to - I am too impatient.

I teach religious studies and would have thought that a specialist Christian Studies teacher would be a great asset (not blowing my own trumpet but not alot of teachers out there like having to teach it). Sadly not.

I rang Switch who said that the info on their website was a little out of date and the positions on it have all gone. Disappointing. But they have renegotiated my area zone upgrading me to CBD Priority in order to get me work. The desperate pleading may have had something to do with it as well.

Not quite as bad as I was last week. Made a friend while I was making phone calls (another Lisa but she may not be my best friend as another Lisa I know has tea bags and a cutey little girl ;)). So that was a bonus. Also been asked to provide an educational perspective on some work done by a charity so that is an avenue I hadn't considered.

All in all a better day

Libby