Schools again

julie-ruth

Guest ali@51

It depends what want from a school. We have recently looked into schools because we havn't been here that long. The info we got was that the diference between state and private schools is religion and class size. All schools have to follow the same basic standards. Private schools tend to be smaller and because they have evolved from church schools that used to educate children in thier area they tend to have a religouse bent. If you want a non-religiouse school you probably need to look to state schools and this is very subjective. It depends on the age of your kids, who they are and where you intend to live. If you talk to any parent they will tell you their kids go to the best school for them. As parents we tend to convince ourselfes we have got our kids into the best school possible!!! It makes us feel better. Adelaide is a big area if you have narrowed down where you are going to live you may get some more usefull info.

Guest Libby1971

Ali:notworthy::notworthy:

The only none religious private school in Adelaide that I am aware of is Pembroke College. It is in the heart of the city.

Pembroke is non denominational, but they have chapel and religious ed. The only non religiopus schools are state schools. Having said that most of the big privates except Lutheran and Catholic probably have no more religion than I remember having in my state primary in England. My daughters attend a uniting church based school... they have weekly chapel, and religious ed called RAVE which is more centred on ethics, values and tolerance than any one religion.

Thanks this is a tricky one for our family we are not a religious family although I do like religious ethical values, (tolerance, sharing etc). Thanks for the information I don't quite know the difference between Anglican Teaching and baptist etc (excuse my ignorance) My daughters are being taught modest christian beliefs and values at school already just don't want to overwhelm them.

Where we are going to live is also tricky my husband has been offered a job in Osborne, although he is prepared to travel if the girls have a good schools that they can be happy and settled in, we are renting for some time when we come over just haven't quite decided where yet, thought we would probably rent in the area the children go to school.

Julie

Guest salisbury massive
my husband has been offered a job in Osborne,

You don't want to rent in Osborne. Its a bit rough. In my opinion anyway. I'd be looking at Largs Bay and Semaphore. Right by the beach and the schools are nice. Taperoo is quite nice also. Cheaper than Semaphore and Largs though.

Having said that there is a huge amount of development going on in the port Adelaide, Osborne areas. Its a great place to buy properties to rent out. with the new submarine base being built there, there will be lots of people looking for rentals close to the base. My husband is in charge of the work going on at the base and we are seriously considering buying a rental in Osborne.There is a Reception to year 12 School at Taperoo, next to Osborne, I've heard good reports about it. The advantage to this school is the kids will complete their education on one site.

http://www.oceanview.sa.edu.au/

There is Largs Bay Primary - up to year 7

http://www.largsbayr7.sa.edu.au/flexipage.aspx?PageId=79

and possibly the best school is LeFevre again only Reception to year 7

http://www.lefevreps.sa.edu.au/

Then the High School would be Le Fevre High School

http://www.lefevrehs.sa.edu.au/index.php?page=1

hope that helps

Jo

Hi

Not been here long but when we were looking for schools especially because my son has some mild learning difficulties i emailed the education department and a lovely woman phoned me. I told her what i was looking for and a very general idea of the area we wanted to live in and she recommended some schools i would like to visit. I figure if you don't ask people don't know you need help.

They were much more helpful than the education departments in the UK.

Hope this helps.:)

Guest Shy Ted

Could someone develop on the procedure for intake of children? I start my job in a few weeks, wifey and kids were planning on following a little later in the year but as we are going to rent the house now as opposed to selling we can all come together. We are keen though to start the kids in their new schools asap. Can we start them as soon as we have secured places? Or do we have to wait for half term/end of term or anything like that?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

We've enrolled DS1 for January 2009, and looking forward to the family time between now and then (he's not compulsory school age till Jan, but has done nursery and pre-prep/ reception year here. Teacher has equipped me with all his school work etc, and we are going to homeschool-ish till Jan. Had thought about moving him up a year and starting him in the remainder of reception in Adelaide, but don't think it will be good for him really long term (or initially). Think the time to get climatised and just rest from all the stress of moving will be really important to him.

Anyone else finding the planning of move and all the house stuff / admin / uncertainty taking its toll on the younger ones? They are very involved in our plans, we are keeping them up to date on the house sale etc, and they know we are waiting to exchange (and I have explained what that means, in the way you can to a 3 and a 5 yo!).

• 2 years later...
Guest schooled

Depends on where you want to live and how far your husband is prepared to travel, plus of course fee levels. There are a few close to the city. There are Waldorf Schools and Steiner.

Guest Billious

There are a number of 'different' school sectors.

1. Government schools. These are run by DECS and are non-faith based, but each would have a set of values to which they desire the children to aspire. Staff may or may not have a religous faith.

2. Church Schools. The may be Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, Uniting. And range from quite small and low fee, to the elite private schools. These would have chapel services, chaplains and a religoius education component. Staff would be expected to support the ethos of the school.

3. Christian Schools. These may be aligned to a church/denomination or non-denominational. These schools teach the Bible as truth (Whilst this is open to interpretation, there would be some common ground) and encourage the students to devleop a Christian faith. Staff would be expected to be active members of a Christian church.

cheers