Education out of the city

Guest Suziep

Guest Suziep

Hi everyone,

I have been offered a placement at Panorama Campus & would like to find out a bit more about any decent schools around that area for my 13 year old son. Will I have to pay as I will be classed as an International Student? Also, if any one is familiar with Panorama or surrounding area for renting purposes as our reckie isn't until October, is it a good place to live or is it worth commuting to Uni from further out of the city. Sue

As you are an international student you will have to pay for your son, it's about $9000 a year for a state high school. Panorama campus is not far out of town. About 30 mins on a bus. The local high school Pasadena high is nearby, but it always had a bad rep and the name was changed from Daws Rd High.Blackwood high is much better and the area is just above where the Tafe is so 15 mins in a car and the area is nice, with all amenities.

Guest Suziep

Many thanks for the information. It is always difficult to assess somewhere when you haven't actually visited the place. I will be able to do some homework before our recce in October. Sue

Hi there Sue

I've actually just spoken to someone in the Education Department to get the definitive answer on school fees for your son. Here's what I found out..

People who are here on TOURIST VISAS have to pay Full International Fees for their dependents in State Primary or High Schools. These are:

$8,000 for primary

$9,500 for years 8-10

$10,500 for years 11-12

People who are here on STUDENT VISAS fill out a Dependent Application Form (I'll e-mail it to you) and pay HALF International Fees, plus the local fees. These are:

$3,600 for primary

$4,500 for the whole of High School (Years 8 through to 12)

On top of this the 'local fees' are about $300-$500, and there is a 'small admin fee' (that probably varies from school to school)

People who are on other temporary visas (such as a 457) pay Local Fees only throughout State Primary and High School.

Hope that helps.

Diane

Guest Suziep

Hi Diane,

Many thanks for emailing the information. I am currently working out our finances pre-Adelaide as I am so used to earning rather than being a student I hardly ever have to think about budgeting!

Sue