Childcare arrangements

Guest hrubieszowianka

Guest hrubieszowianka

Hello!

I think I understand more or less how kindy/school systems works. My daughter will be 5 in Feb 09, so I think she will start school in April 09. Here in UK we've had a childminder, who dropped her off to nursery, picked her up, fed, entertained etc, while both of us did our full-time jobs. I expect (and hope) that we will have FT jobs in Adelaide, and wonder if childminders exist, work the same, are affordable, are flexible or how else could we go about mornings and afternoons and before she goes to school around the half-day sessions in kindy.

Oh, if only I could take my childminder with me.

Hi

I'm not in Adelaide at the mo but the research i have done on childcare shows it to be a lot more flexible than here in the U.K. What you would be looking at possibly is something called Family Day Care (similar to our childminders). They can look after your children any time of day and some do weekends to, as for dropping of and picking up from nursery i'm not entirely sure but i'm praying they do a school run as that is what i need. As for cost i believe they are reasonable, possibly about $5-$8 an hour. Please someone correct me on this if i am wrong.

There should be plenty of people on here that can give you more accurate info who are already in Adelaide.

Good luck with everything.

Emma +

Alicia (6).

also some childcare centres do before school care and do a school run. Most schools have afterschool care until about 6 ish and a lot have before school care starting around 7 -7.30 which is usually fine if you have an office job but was never any good for me in nursing starting at 7 in the morning. Most childcare centres open at 6.30 am.

Guest Nick11

I work at a childrens centre.

Most child care centres open at 6.30 and close at 6.30 at night.

Community child care centres open mostly from 7.30.

Some pick up from kindys - but not all. Most only charge full day sessions and not half day sessions.

Not many centres offer vacation / after school care - mostly schools do this and there can often be a long waiting list - but depends on the school.

It depends on where you are.

A couple of centres in the city offer overnight care - if you work late.

Our centre charges $54 a day.

Not heard of any offering weekend care .