Continuing my Education in Adelaide.

Young Flinny

Hello,

I am soon to start my A2s (Second half of A Levels) in an UK College, I have 3 AS levels and 12 GCSE's.

I want to know if I will be able to continue my Education from where I am now, have to start equivilent of A Levels again (that's fine) or even have to start from GCSE level (massive bummer.)

Also I'm interested to know are there Adult courses available to allow me to continue onto tertiary education at a later date rather than starting everything again.

Thanks.

Jamie.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hello,

I am soon to start my A2s (Second half of A Levels) in an UK College, I have 3 AS levels and 12 GCSE's.

I want to know if I will be able to continue my Education from where I am now, have to start equivilent of A Levels again (that's fine) or even have to start from GCSE level (massive bummer.)

Also I'm interested to know are there Adult courses available to allow me to continue onto tertiary education at a later date rather than starting everything again.

Thanks.

Jamie.

I am not sure how old you are Jamie, but at a guess17?

The good news is there are no equivilant to GCSEs here, just the SACE which is half way between the 2. A good SACE result gets you into UNI here.

There are lots of ways round it, which would depend on when you get here, as you can have your GCSEs converted to SACE points.

If its any consolation, my son had done 1/2 his first yr at college, then when we got here he started in yr11 and did both yrs befroe going on to uni.

He was just 17 at the time, there is no stigma here with what age you are at school/uni. He wouold also say that was the best way for him. He met lots of friends and learnt to drive, all within his first yr, giving him time to settle into his new life.

Hope this helps, any more Qs ask away.

There are a few of us on here who have older kids

sarah

17 yes, my brother will be 16 next sunday also (starting AS levels) - we'll be going in about 6 months I think if all goes to plan.

It will be odd that me and my brother will be in the same year, what I was most worried about is doing 4 years before university - 2 years is ok, for me my GCSE's were the hardest thing I've done and the most effort required - I did them and came out with good marks, sighed and said to myself "at least thats over and done with." I didnt really want to start that all over again.

What does the SACE consist of do you know? How many subjects must you take etc?

SACE 1 (yr 11) you need 12 units. Each semester subject is a unit. You have to do 1 semester of maths and 1 of english. SACE 2 is 10 units, but most subjects that count for Uni entrance are 2 unit courses, ie they are full year courses. There are also more practical subjects you can choose to do that will count for TAFE and if you have only one in your subjects it may count for uni entrance too.

As you have done some of these subjects already, if you go into yr 11, it may enable you to relax for a year and take some other types of subjects that interest you, eg hospitality, photography, etc if you already have core subjects as a foundation for your yr 12 subjects.

For others reading this thread though, next years yr 10s are the first cohort to begin the new SACE pathway and requirements have changed for them.

Hello,

Thanks.

Jamie.

Hi Jamie

firstly, you are doing the right thing about finding out your options. You do need aplan before you get here. IMO its the most important thing for older teens, as Ive known a few to struggle when they get here. If you know what you are going to do .............and can do, thats good.

secondly ......and very important..............what visa are your parents and you coming on? I hope its a PR visa otherwise things may get awkward when you leave high school. I dont know how you get into uni here if youve finished A levels..............one to look into for you:)..........but as said your previous exams will get you yr11 exemption.

SSP has older kids, she knows a lot of the system.but as said . get a plan together and if you need help pm and ask...............its very important for your futures.:)

Hi Jamie

firstly, you are doing the right thing about finding out your options. You do need aplan before you get here. IMO its the most important thing for older teens, as Ive known a few to struggle when they get here. If you know what you are going to do .............and can do, thats good.

secondly ......and very important..............what visa are your parents and you coming on? I hope its a PR visa otherwise things may get awkward when you leave high school. I dont know how you get into uni here if youve finished A levels..............one to look into for you:)..........but as said your previous exams will get you yr11 exemption.

SSP has older kids, she knows a lot of the system.but as said . get a plan together and if you need help pm and ask...............its very important for your futures.:)

It's a 475 State Sponsored Visa.

It's unlikely I'll have finished my A-Levels unless things really drag out.

It's a 475 State Sponsored Visa.

It's unlikely I'll have finished my A-Levels unless things really drag out.

Its been a while since ive looked at visas...............Is the 475 a temporary visa?...........please ask your parents, this is very important as in costings for furtheer ed.

Yes it is a 3 year temp visa, so I will have to pay for their further education. But I would have had to have done the same in the UK anyway!

Howard

(Young Flinny's dad)

On a temp visa you cant get student loans and have to pay international student rates. This ,roughly , could be $15000-$20000 pa............just for the course. At least you are aware of this.