School years

Guest haz

Hi im 14 years old and im in year nine hear what year would i be in over in oz

and ive just taken my SAT's if i have to reapete a year would i have to take them again

Year 9s here are 14 ish, so it would depend when you came. The school year runs from end of January to beginning of December. So if you came in the next few months you would probably go into yr 9 for the rest of the year and then up to yr 10 next year, in the new school year.

We don't have SATs here. Yr 10 is still fairly full of choices of subjects and you wont start narrowing down until yr11. Yr 12 is when you have public exams like your GCSEs and As. It's called SACE and if you do well enough is accepted at Unis all round the world.

Guest macu68
Year 9s here are 14 ish, so it would depend when you came. The school year runs from end of January to beginning of December. So if you came in the next few months you would probably go into yr 9 for the rest of the year and then up to yr 10 next year, in the new school year.

We don't have SATs here. Yr 10 is still fairly full of choices of subjects and you wont start narrowing down until yr11. Yr 12 is when you have public exams like your GCSEs and As. It's called SACE and if you do well enough is accepted at Unis all round the world.

Hi Rachie

Similar kind of question but just to make things clear in my head.... How do the school years work over in Adelaide? My understanding is school year runs Jan-Dec, seniors starts yr 8 and thats about it. I am guessing that whatever age you are on the 1st of January decides what year you go into, is that right? Another burning question is do the senior schools have feeder schools, by that I mean do certain primary schools feed directly into senior schools or is it strictly the zone you live in. I have been looking at senior schools for our daughters, tricky business when you don't know where you are going to live. Should we be applying directly to schools while here in UK or should we wait until over in Adelaide? Really like the look of Glenunga but know it is hard to get in to. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mary x

The year you go into starts way back in reception. If you started in Jan to about April, then you move up into yr 1 the next Jan. If you started after then you would spen all the next year in Rec as well. So by yr 8, the first yr of High school the kids are 12 3/4 to 13 1/2 in the January. Kids here start school the term after they turn 5 they don't all start at the beginning of the year and have to spend at least 3 terms in Rec to move up to yr1. When your kids come out here the schools usually try to place them in the appropriate age level. This may seem to them that they have to go back a yr.

The high schools don't have formal feeder schools but usually the primary schools in the high school zone act as feeder schools. Certain primary schools begin the IB which is continued in certain primary schools like Glenunga. This means you can apply to have your child attend a high school that is not your zoned one. Only a few schools do the IB so it is a valid reason if your child wishes to continue with it. Languages can be another reason as well.

If the high school has some places then they can offer them to students living outside the zone. Some schools have waiting lists. The most surefire way of getting into a particular school is to live in the zone. The school has to enrol your kids then. The drawback to this is that the houses around Glenunga are not cheap to buy or rent. Kids who live locally to Glenunga usually attend Linden Park primary, Glen Osmond primary, Rose Park primary and Burnside primary. All these schools are in the IB cluster.This means in yr 6 they begin the Middle yrs IB programme. Linden Park also does the Primary Yrs programme from Rec to yr5. Glenunga has a lot of International students, mainly from asian countries and are used to dealing with enquiries from overseas, there would be no harm in finding out from the school whether they could offer places to your girls if you don't know where you are going to live. Linden Pk primary also has international students and has had a few English migrant children go there over the last few yrs. The kids are used to peolpe coming from other countries to their school.

If Glenunga is sticking with the zone policy, they will usually want proof of residency as in a rental agreement that is long term. The other thing is to try to access their IGNITE programme if your children are academically gifted. This course has 2 streams - one compresses yr 8 & 9 into 1 year, with the kids going into yr 10 in their 2nd yr of high school. The other retains the kids in the yr levels in sequence but they have the chance to advance in the areas they are ahead in. Again there are only 3 schools with this type of programme in Adelaide, so it is a reason for accessing an out of zone school. Primary schools are in general not zoned and as long as they are not full, they will take your child, no matter where you live. It can cause problems though if your child is then not offered a place in the high school everyone else is going to.

Rach

Guest macu68

Hi Rachie

Thankyou very much for your comprehensive reply. I know that really we should visit the school we are planning to enrol our kids into but not always possible from the other side of the world eh? Where did you live in Liverpool? We are originally from Huyton but now live in Kirkby.

Mary xx