Precious cargo montessori

Guest xhaylesx

Guest Lulujim

My daughter goes to a Montessori nursery here at the moment, I would be really interested to hear about this nursery - also costs if you wouldn't mind? (Could you PM me the fees please?) Thank you very much - Alexis x

• 1 year later...

My children attend precious cargo aldinga.... and i am really happy with it. They have great staff and the facilities are good. I no its not the same place but there are part of the same chain. Their philosophy is about empowering the child, they aims to show the child that they are capable beings. The skills they learn they have also brought home which is lovely to see. The fees are 69 or 67 then you get CCb then half back of the fees you have paid every quarter. Like i said i am happy with it except the frequent illnesses but i am assured that this is the same in all child care centers. Hope this helps a bit.

Heidi

• 9 months later...
Guest paloma

I read about Montessori system of nurturing children's potential and wanted to send my boy to one one of Montessori childcare centers. There was a new Precious Cargo opened at Myrtle bank, not far from where we lived and they had a few vacancies, so I thought I'd give it a go. I went there first to have a look at the facilities and they are all brand new and good. Good outside play area too. So, I thought, OK, let's enroll. I've been given enrollment paperwork and was asked to pay 55$ enrollment fee on the spot (you have to pay it even if you want to get your child's name on the waiting list). The centre's policy requires you to pay fees 2 or 4 weeks in advance, I can't remember. Must have been 4 weeks, because following the requirements that was what I did. Then we went for an intoduction visit fo 1 hour. My son played with kids and I was just observing. It was OK, but I would not call the environment loving and caring. Not at all. There was one girl crying for some reason and I saw that one of the carers rolled her eyes indicating to another carer what a drama queen that girl was or something. I didnt think it was the right attitude, but decided to remain open-minded and keep going. We then came in a couple of days again. There was a 3 y.o. boy whos dad had just dropped him off. He was holding on to his teddy bear and crying: Mummy, mummy!! They didn't do much about it. One carer asked him if he was hurt. Do-ah? It was heartbreaking. I asked one of the carers whether they nurse children in distress or divert their attention and she said: "Yes, but there are so many of them..." With all due respect, I thought it was very wrong. They have a ratio of certain amount of children per carer. Anyway, my son announced that he wanted to go home (and he was the 2 y.o. who was desperately looking for friends! I had torouble getting him out of playgrounds and creche in my gym) On our way out we had to go via the play area for babies and my son started to play there. Then babies were let out. One little girl went to sand pit and fell face straight in the sand. Another baby begun to throw sand into other kids eyes. Why do they let 12-14 month old babies in he sand? I thought, if you can't look after them propely, why let them do it - there are so many more activities they can do? Anyway, there was a baby boy (looked like 14 months old or so) who was crying. The carer was sitting near the sand pit and seemed to be in no rush to attend. I picked the boy up (I could't help myself, sorry) and he settled a bit, but was still fidgety, so I had a look in his nappy and sure enough it was soiled. The carer then asked:"Oh, is it pooie?" Then she went to change him. I only spent 2 hours there in total and was getting uncomfotable with the place already, so I decided to cancel all the arrangements. I told the receptionist that we would like to cancel my childs attendance before he even starts and asked for a refund. She talked to the director later (it's the same director as in all the other Precious Cargo centres, including Precious Cargo at St. Peters, Aldinga, Woodcroft etc) and gave me a ring only to tell that they'll still charge me for 2 weeks attendance even if he never started. The adventure did cost me about 200$. It felt wrong. Mediocre service, greedy owners. I didn't see any special Montessori education at this age group section. They just let kids do what they want and remain cold supervisors rather then engaging and loving carers. That was my observation anyway. If you think it's right for your child - go for it. Seemed un-natural to me and certainly not what I read about original Montessori system.

Guest Nick11

Paloma..your experience unfortunately is not isolated. People need to remember montessori is a franchaise. Anyone can open one if they have enough money.There are some great ones out there...however on the same hand there are a lot of poor ones.

Hi Paloma

That is so worrying - you did the right thing.....

Have you ever considered Family Daycare? I am a FDC provider and work in Stonyfell near Burrnside.I look after 4 children per day for a min of eight hours(Mon - Thur)

If you would like any info regarding FDC please PM me!

Its so so different from Childcare centres........

Guest Trakki

That is not the first bad thing I have heard about precious cargo. 3 of mine go to Kids @ Woodcroft on Pimpala Road, it is not a Montesorri but is great. I have 1 in the baby room, 1 in the toddler room and 1 in the kindy room. They have a cook that cooks fresh meals everyday included in the price and if they go to the Woodcroft Pre-school then they will take them and pick them up from there. My baby has to wear glasses and have his eye patched daily, this is no hassle and they also managed to get hom to take bottles when I couldn't. I believe it used to be run by someone else and didn't have a great reputation but the ladies that own it now are great and I certainly cannot fault it 1 bit. My kids are more than happy there and I know for a fact that when my 4 year old starts school she will be gutted not to go anymore.

Guest Nick11
That is not the first bad thing I have heard about precious cargo. 3 of mine go to Kids @ Woodcroft on Pimpala Road, it is not a Montesorri but is great. I have 1 in the baby room, 1 in the toddler room and 1 in the kindy room. They have a cook that cooks fresh meals everyday included in the price and if they go to the Woodcroft Pre-school then they will take them and pick them up from there. My baby has to wear glasses and have his eye patched daily, this is no hassle and they also managed to get hom to take bottles when I couldn't. I believe it used to be run by someone else and didn't have a great reputation but the ladies that own it now are great and I certainly cannot fault it 1 bit. My kids are more than happy there and I know for a fact that when my 4 year old starts school she will be gutted not to go anymore.

I am friends with the ladies that run kidz at woodcroft. They do everything by the book. Nothing is left to chance. It is very heavily subscribed..being so good

Hi guys,

I am a qualified montessori teacher with 3 years teaching experience back in London, when I first arrived in Oz I looked for work in Montessori nurseries and was very surprised to see the amount of " Monstessori" nurseries around that are infact day care centres with the Montessori sign outside. They do not embrace the philosophy or encourage any of the freedom and skill development and refinement that a true montessori childrens house should.

I would not send my children to Precious cargo however it is all a matter of opinion. I think for anyone wanting Montessori education for their little ones the Mclaren Vale Childrens centre is fabulous, my daughter goes there and its beautiful. The teachers are great and they have a full selection of Montessori equipment that all the children are free to use. Hope this helps x

Guest Nick11
Hi guys,

I am a qualified montessori teacher with 3 years teaching experience back in London, when I first arrived in Oz I looked for work in Montessori nurseries and was very surprised to see the amount of " Monstessori" nurseries around that are infact day care centres with the Montessori sign outside. They do not embrace the philosophy or encourage any of the freedom and skill development and refinement that a true montessori childrens house should.

I would not send my children to Precious cargo however it is all a matter of opinion. I think for anyone wanting Montessori education for their little ones the Mclaren Vale Childrens centre is fabulous, my daughter goes there and its beautiful. The teachers are great and they have a full selection of Montessori equipment that all the children are free to use. Hope this helps x

You are spot on there.

I have come across lots of parents who send their kids to montessoris here in Adelaide just to keep up with their neighbours.

It seems to have a status symbol here...very undeserved in my opinion.

I totally agree the one in Mclaren vale is excellent.

Guest Trakki
I am friends with the ladies that run kidz at woodcroft. They do everything by the book. Nothing is left to chance. It is very heavily subscribed..being so good

So am I lol. Sophie is in the same class as one of their daughters. Love it :)

Hayley, think I spoke to you about Precious Cargo Woodcroft, I looked around 3 times, and decided on a different centre, gut feelings and all that. Have a look around, make your own judgements. It is a very nice centre, looks modern and well decorated compared to some of those around, will catch up with you later.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nicandchris

Hi ive just read your links on the monessori centres in Adelaide. Well be heading over to Adelaide next August 2011 and my little boy will be about 18 months then and will be needing day care as ill be working full time possibly will my partner. Ive been thinking about childcare for him and possibly montessori but now ive been put off. Has anybody an idea about good childcare for around the 18month age group and im feeling a little stressed about it already reading this:arghh:.

Hi ive just read your links on the monessori centres in Adelaide. Well be heading over to Adelaide next August 2011 and my little boy will be about 18 months then and will be needing day care as ill be working full time possibly will my partner. Ive been thinking about childcare for him and possibly montessori but now ive been put off. Has anybody an idea about good childcare for around the 18month age group and im feeling a little stressed about it already reading this:arghh:.

Hi...dont want to stress you out even more...but if you will be working full time and need childcare, i strongly suggest you get your sons name down sooner rather than later..

My boy used to go to Happy Valley Child Care centre...its a great centre...lovely staff...great atmopshere...but last i heard they now had a waiting list...

Guest nicandchris

hi thanks for the reply. I wonder if you could help me with a query. As im initially at least going to be doing shifts and as such be in need of various child care ie some weeks need mon aft, morn, fri morn etc is there any child care that would work with this or would it only be that i would have to put my son into childcare for the five days all day regardless?

Guest ben&sharon

Please don't stress about it - you've got enough to worry about! Our little boy goes to a community childcare centre as well, and they really are fantastic. They're non-profit making (unlike ABC, Nanna's etc.), so all of their proceeds get redirected back into the centre. We're at Hallett Cove, and in the last few months they appear to have spent a small fortune on the place! The staff are just lovely and our communication with them has been first class - I can't recommend them highly enough. They do have waiting lists, so you may need to be flexible to begin with. We started with one day a week and picked up extras as they became available so that Jamie is now full time - it took us about three months to get to that stage, with a lot of co-operation from the management team there. Just be patient and be sure about what you need, and you'll get there in the end.

Sharon. X

Guest nicandchris

hi thanks for this reply.My worry is that we wnt have that luxury of working up to full time with my son as ill be starting work about a month after getting there and chris is trying to set up full time work too. ill not be returning to work til this dec then be part time til we leave in august so im concerned that ill have to find somewhere for him and get him straight in after one month, of course within that month well have to find somewhere to live too (that takes dogs),,oohh im getting anxious..

Guest Sachertorte
Am considering sending my little lady to Precious Cargo Montessori in Woodcroft, I was wondering if anyone had any opions on the place they would like to share with me?

I have no direct experience of this one, but I can share my experience of my daughter attending another Montessori daycare facility and kindergarten. The first being in the city and the second in the hills.

Firstly I would like to point out that I am Montessori educated myself, having had the good fortune to attend such school in Italy, where the method comes from.

The Montessori daycare was pretty much run as the other poster described- leaving kids to their own devices, all kids being very lonely. I had arranged this from the UK, but after 3 weeks of agony (both my girls were begging me not to go when I would drop them), I realised that this place had Montessori materials but nothing else!

The older girl then moved to another Montessori kindergarten, and had high expectations after having attended to a parents' evening. But how deceiving the whole proposition was. Things came to a head as the head teacher voiced serious concerns that my girl might be special needs, and needing occupational therapy assessment. After this teacher "diagnosis" my girl could simply not get one thing right in her eyes. My MIL is a retired speech therapist and was shocked by the news.

I took things in my hand and consulted with a consultant paeds friend back in the UK. She was flabbergasted as she knows my girl very well- she stated that my girl was not only normal, but also far ahead than her peers intellectually.

I would be very cautious with putting faith on the "Montessori" label. Few places are really likely to be. You need to have received this type education to be able to impart it - it can't be learnt on the back of a packet!

Possibly the only place worth checking might be the Hills Montessori in Aldgate... but have not had experience first hand- I will try their playgroup very soon.

HTH

S

Guest ben&sharon
hi thanks for this reply.My worry is that we wnt have that luxury of working up to full time with my son as ill be starting work about a month after getting there and chris is trying to set up full time work too. ill not be returning to work til this dec then be part time til we leave in august so im concerned that ill have to find somewhere for him and get him straight in after one month, of course within that month well have to find somewhere to live too (that takes dogs),,oohh im getting anxious..

Hi!

I wouldn't dream of telling you how to make your plans, but one thing you are going to need to be in the first few months of being here is flexible about all sorts of things, and you need to be prepared for that ahead of time, or you are going to worry yourself into a mess! :confused:

It is entirely possible that you won't be able to find a full time place for your son in your first month here, but there are some other options to consider - you may be able to get complementary part time places at two nurseries, for example - I know somone who managed like that for a while until a full time place came up at ours. Another option is to see if you can get alternative care for the days you can't book - perhaps at a family daycare provider??

I started work within two weeks of arriving here and so we decided that my husband would put off his job search until we had care that we were happy with for Jamie - is that an option for you? It certainly worked well for us, and it gave Ben some much needed Daddy-time. Although I think he was relieved when he did get back to working....... :goofy:

We found that the daycare centres were very reluctant to put us on their waiting list until we arrived in the country - and to be honest it wouldn't really have helped since the nursery I was looking at from the UK is in a different suburb to the one we eventually chose to live in! Besides - I wouldn't want him going to somewhere that we hadn't visited for ourselves.

You've got plenty of time to get a plan in place, since you're not expecting to arrive for over a year. I would research the options thoroughly but try not to be too fixed in your opinions or in your requirements, and that way you'll be able to adapt much more quickly when you get here.

All the best. X

Guest Nick11

I would be very cautious with putting faith on the "Montessori" label. Few places are really likely to be. You need to have received this type education to be able to impart it - it can't be learnt on the back of a packet!

This is an excellent post.

As a teacher, my only experiences of seeing it in action is in oz and back in the uk..and tbh it was more a free for all of letting the kids do what they want and when they want without any structure or learning objectives evident.

It would be very interesting to see a proper one in action.

As I said..anyone can open up a montessori if they have the finances, which in itself is a very scary thought.:arghh: