School information

Guest madster

Guest madster

Hi, at present we are deciding whether to move to Adelaide just wanted to know what age the schools go up to i.e ages that children leave school as I have a son that is 13 and my daughter is 10.

Also are there lots going on for children of these ages as in after school clubs or do children get together i.e as in going to park to play football or beach.

hope you can help with this as we have never been to Australia and if we make decision it is only from doing research and from what people can tell us.

Thanks

Karen Andy Jordan and Ellie :)

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi, at present we are deciding whether to move to Adelaide just wanted to know what age the schools go up to i.e ages that children leave school as I have a son that is 13 and my daughter is 10.

Also are there lots going on for children of these ages as in after school clubs or do children get together i.e as in going to park to play football or beach.

hope you can help with this as we have never been to Australia and if we make decision it is only from doing research and from what people can tell us.

Thanks

Karen Andy Jordan and Ellie :)

You can leave school here once you are 16, with no exams behind you, kids tend to do this if they have an aprenticeship or traineeship to start. If not the stay for yrs 11&12 and do their SACE exam which is a mix of GCSEs and A levels, they can then go on to UNI or TAFE. Once they have started yr11 they can still leave if they change their minds.

As for things to do, there are plenty of options, all the ususal things and a few ithers you might not have thought of! Someone with younger kids would be able to fill you in, mine are big kids and do their own thing mostly!

sarah

Hi

My daughter is 13 - 14 at the end of this month - and is currently in Year 8. My son is 11 (birthday in May) and is in Year 6, but I think he is one of the youngest in the year. What happened with ours was we arrived in the August after they had just completed Years 4 and 2 respectively, and they went back into those Years for the final term of school here, then went up into the next year the following January.

Therefore I reckon whatever year your kids finished in this July, they'd be in that year here till December.

High Schools (most of them, some exceptions) run from Year 8 to 12.

After school and weekend activities - so much you could end up doing something different every day if you wanted! They also meet up and spend time at each others houses, perhaps having a swim in a pool, or playing tennis, or cycling, skateboarding etc. As they get older, they perhaps meet up and go to the cinema together, or go to the Show, or go to the beach in a crowd (they can start learning to drive at 16 - eek!) and sleepovers at each others houses are very popular.

Hope that helps!

Diane