Nursery/Kindergartens

Guest Mrsschoie

Guest Mrsschoie

Hi

OH goes for his final interview and physical for SAPOL on Monday and the house is on the market so its time for me to consider childcare for my 2 year old and 7 month old. Can anyone give me any advice on pre-school care or good sites where I can find out more?

Thanks

Cheryl

Guest bev_stef

Hi Cheryl

Welcome to PIA. Just wanted to wish your OH good luck for monday.

Not sure about chilcare myself, but try checking out Adelaide Bound, has some great helpful links there.

Hope this helps. Good Luck with everything else too, keep us posted.

Bev

• 11 months later...

Hi Cheryl

I've been scrolling down all the education questions and yours is the one I was going to ask! Have you found anything out?

We have a 15mth old and a baby due next week so by the time we get to Adelaide next year we will be looking for nurserys for both of them (No grandmas to help out in OZ!)

Can you let me know any costs you have found out and Ill do the same.

Thanks

Guest Nick11

There are good, excellent and not so good childcare facilities here in Adelaide.

I work for one of them and have to admit I am very impressed with the quality of childcare( I taught for 17 years back in the uk as a teacher)

E-mail me if you want their name as they aim to have 10 childrens centres up and running all over Adelaide by 2010

Nick

x

Some kindergartens also have occasional care sessions for children too young for kindy. These sessions are only about 2 hours though. Childcare centres in areas where there are a lot of children can have long waiting lists, some people put their name down as soon as they are pregnant, but not all areas are as bad as this, it is just a matter of trawling through them.

Guest katsmajic

Hi,

My lil man goes to Moana kindy, and loves it there, but...he was at school full time in the uk (too early/little as far as im concerned) and now is struggling with only doing afternoons - im doing all sorts of activities at home with him but hes wanting more stimulation...

on thursday one of the 'teachers' at kindy asked if i had considered additional childcare for lil man as they feel hes really bright and hes not getting enough stimulation - hes beginning to read and can write quite a bit for his age...

ive asked at the school if he could start earlier but they do not make any exceptions whatsoever, they termstart cutoff date is 21st july, his birthday is 23rd july, so he has to wait until end of october.

Hes starting swimming lessons next week, and weve got him into a soccer club, also getting me a bike so we can go for bike rides etc so hoping to occupy him a bit more with all that.

Does anyone know what kind of 'additional childcare' provisions there are near seaford? Prices? etc..

I was planning on returning to work in a few of months anyway, so it might be worth getting extra childcare sorted sooner rather than later for him...

not that im not enjoying having him at home...

There are early reading groups that meet, you could give them a try http://www.earlyreadingplayschool.com.au/

Also you could enrol him in Kumon for english which covers reading and writing, I think that is about $100 a month and they go into the centre twice a week and do a set amount of worksheets at home in between each day. The younger kids seem really keen and like progressing through all the levels. There is a kumon at Seaford I think. www.kumon.au

Otherwise you could look for a montessori children's centre, but these are private and can be a bit pricey. Sometimes local libraries have activities for preschoolers.

Childcare centres will have a kindy programme also for 4 year olds so you could look into that aswell.

Sounds like all is well for you and I hope the ants have stopped biting :)

Guest katsmajic

Hes learning slowly to stay away from the ants...;)

dont really want to go down the kumon route/monteressi schooling, did all that in uk with oldest daughter...i'll just have to wear him out more!!! His toys arrive next month - hes really looking forward to seeing them all again. (hes got a few bits, and we joined the library to 'borrow' toys/games and attend the reading sessions)..hes counting to 100 and doing maths - think i have either a lil freak or a genius! He can also tell the time better than his 10yr old sis...

otherwise all is great, & daughter loves her bed :)