Childcare costs

Guest familygood

Guest familygood

Hi

I am wondering if anyone knows the appox cost of childcare for pre shcool children? We will have a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old coming with us and I obviously need to work. Does anyone know of the daily rate at a nursery?

Thanks

Hi

Costs are approx $56 per day - if you are a resident you can get a discount - depends on how much you are earning - plus every quarter you get 50% of your out of pocket expenses back.

Julie

Guest theforrests

I pay the same as Lippy - and the centre I use (Seaford District Children's Centre) also allows half day bookings ($32). We are on a temporary visa (SIR 495) so we don't qualify for any discount - but I think its still quite reasonable anyway. Oh - and I highly recommend the centre - they also offer OSHC (before and after school care) and Vacation (school holiday care).

Sarah

Guest familygood

Thanks Sarah,

Do you mean that you have to pay the full cost then? We will also be on a provisional visa. Do you get any child benefit? I am a bit unclear about what we will be entitled to (if anything!!)

thanks

Emma

We have a 'Skilled Independent 175' visa, so does that mean we will be able to claim the childcare rebate?

We are currently paying about £35 per day, (3 days per week), but we use the 'Childcare Voucher' system. so we get the tax and NI back from this (about 1/3).

It's sooooo confusing! some visa's yet get medicare/government benefits, others you don't.

:P :v_SPIN:

We have a 'Skilled Independent 175' visa, so does that mean we will be able to claim the childcare rebate?

We are currently paying about £35 per day, (3 days per week), but we use the 'Childcare Voucher' system. so we get the tax and NI back from this (about 1/3).

It's sooooo confusing! some visa's yet get medicare/government benefits, others you don't.

:P :v_SPIN:

yes you should be able to if you qualify for family assistance i think

Guest theforrests

Not sure about all visa types - but ours is a 495 - a temporary, state sponsored visa - and on this particular visa we do not qualify for any assistance/rebate on childcare. This link will take you to Centrelink - which provides more detail on eligibility for child care benefit/rebate. http://www.centrelink.com.au/internet/internet.nsf/ea3b9a1335df87bcca2569890008040e/8f62dc41254fc518ca25718e0080e425!OpenDocument

Hope this helps.

:-)

Guest familygood

Thanks for your help with this. Looks like the costs are more reasonable than in the UK so thats good!! (no surprise!) Will certainly look into the Seaford CC wen we (hopefully) get there.

Thanks

Emma

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your help with this. Looks like the costs are more reasonable than in the UK so thats good!! (no surprise!) Will certainly look into the Seaford CC wen we (hopefully) get there.

Thanks

Emma

Costs do look reasonable compared to the UK, but remember wages are lower here.........

• 1 month later...
Guest Wesser

hi Emma , Graham & Good Family

we are not too far from Teignmouth, up th M5 in Weston-super-Mare, I used to live in Ivybridge and Plymouth. With regard to child care this URL comments can be seen here:

http://www.centrelink.com.au/internet/internet.nsf/ea3b9a1335df87bcca2569890008040e/8f62dc41254fc518ca25718e0080e425!OpenDocument

it states:

If you and your partner are working or undertaking work related activities (including training or studying) for at least 15 hours per week (or 30 hours per fortnight), or you and your partner are exempt from this requirement, you may also be eligible for up to 50 hours of Child Care Benefit per child per week.

I think 50 hrs per week, PER child, would be amazing but sounds too good to be true. that means it usually is in my experience. It is means tested but I can't find out any further info. e.g. a chart thats plots income against benefits etc. The site does not make it easy to contact to ask, e.g. no email contact form or anything, if you know anything further please let me know. good luck with everything. Wes & Crew

hi Emma , Graham & Good Family

we are not too far from Teignmouth, up th M5 in Weston-super-Mare, I used to live in Ivybridge and Plymouth. With regard to child care this URL comments can be seen here:

http://www.centrelink.com.au/internet/internet.nsf/ea3b9a1335df87bcca2569890008040e/8f62dc41254fc518ca25718e0080e425!OpenDocument

it states:

If you and your partner are working or undertaking work related activities (including training or studying) for at least 15 hours per week (or 30 hours per fortnight), or you and your partner are exempt from this requirement, you may also be eligible for up to 50 hours of Child Care Benefit per child per week.

I think 50 hrs per week, PER child, would be amazing but sounds too good to be true. that means it usually is in my experience. It is means tested but I can't find out any further info. e.g. a chart thats plots income against benefits etc. The site does not make it easy to contact to ask, e.g. no email contact form or anything, if you know anything further please let me know. good luck with everything. Wes & Crew

its on a sliding scale basis, so the more you earn the less you get. think it cuts of around 100k, but your still entitled to the tax rebate.