temporary visas and education costs

Guest chrissy63

Guest chrissy63

:)

Hi

can anyone tell me if on a temporary visa do you have to pay for schooling despite whether the school is state or independent. Also if so what can you expect to pay

Love the new look site

Thanks

Chrissy

Guest steph&neil

Hi chrissy,

in SA you pay regardless of state or private education, I believe that this is payable by all parents, not just temp visa holders (maybe someone else can clarify?)

Public (Government) schools : South Australia's public schools are administered by the Department of Education & Children's Services (DECS). These schools do not charge tuition fees, however a compulsory fee of approximately AUD $166 and AUD $223 (for primary schools and secondary schools respectively) is used to cover the cost of libraries, sports fees and books. The majority of Government schools are co-educational, and all public schools offer an innovative, advanced and diverse curriculum.

Private schools are far cheaper than the UK starting at AUD $14,000 to around

AUD $23,000.

i hope this helps you!

:D

steph

Guest chrissy63

Thanks for that. So its a bit like UK in that education is free but you pay for extra curriculae stuff on top like sports

Cheers

Chrissy:D

Guest bev_stef

hi Chissy

I've read about paying for the books too, but not sure about schooling fees. Adelaide bound has lots of links to schools though that may be of some help.

Good Luck.

Bev

Guest betty22

HI,

Depends which temp visa you are on. On some temp visas you pay international student fees which can be as much as $10,000 a year for high school.

On the 495 you just pay the schools fee per year. Primary approx$200 high school approx $4-500.

Extra cric u pay fees as well. school trips approx$10-$15. a weeks swimming $32.50

magic show at school $4, lab on legs $4 etc etc

Liz

Guest dglamoore

We have just enrolled Dawn in kindy here and pay $50 per term in school fees and expect to pay $200+ when she starts primary in October plus trips, books etc

Lisa:cool:

Guest Libby1971

Hi

We have two daughters, one at secondary and the other at primary. Both currently attend state schools.

There is a compulsory $24.50 charge for each child to cover the cost of school trips throughout the year.

On top of this we needed to pay for uniform, obviously. Most schools ask students to wear shoes that are closed in at heel and toe - most wear trainers and are encouraged to do so.

Other charges are for access to internet, photocopying, textbooks, library services, etc. We are paying about $250 per child. This can be paid in installments about a month apart.

At my youngest's school, the staff there encouraged us to apply for a school card to lower how much must be paid (still have to pay visit charge) if anything as we are not working yet. That has been sent to the Department of Education to assess so can't offer anymore information on that.

We do have permanent residency so I am not sure if this makes a difference in terms of how much we have to pay.

Hope this helps.

Libby

• 2 weeks later...

AUD $23,000.

i hope this helps you!

steph

The fees on the actual sites for the schools are per term then ? I think they show entry fee $2k+ depending on the school - this isn't annual but per term? No wonder I thought it was cheap....oops:cool:

Angela

AUD $23,000.

That's only cheaper if you come over with heaps of money, or earn above the average $40k* pa! IMHO, of course!

We have one at primary, costs around $240pa, which includes a levy for trips. The annual class stay costs extra ($150-ish), as do the extra-curricular activities - such as cricket, footy, soccer etc. At the start of the year he is given a new set of pencils, textas, books etc, so we don't need to buy those. The one at secondary costs around $400 (mind has blocked out cost as it comes in the first term, along with Christmas bills, summer holiday etc!). She has a couple of trips this year - one for the whole year which was about $150, then one for her class which is $400. She has to buy all her own stationary so a bit of extra expense there, but not much.

We are permanent residents, but our friends are Australian; everyone we know pays, the only exception being those eligible for the school card. Then I believe they only have to pay the trip levy.

Hope that helps a bit!

LC

* average wage (ish) for Aberfoyle and surround. Apparently.

Guest betty22

AUD $23,000.

i hope this helps you!

steph

Hi,

That seems pretty steep. The high schools that we have looked at are in the region of $5000 a year fees.

Primary about $2000.

The most expensive we looked at Westminster even came in at $11000

Liz:cool: