University applications.

Young Flinny

It's come to that time where I'm finishing off my applications for Universities here in the UK, one problem I hopefully won't be staying for University in the UK!

So it seems obvious that I should be applying for university in SA - this is where I get confused :confused: I have looked at the University of Adelaide website and cannot find any information on internation qualification acceptance other than something called IELTS which as british person with qualifications in English language shouldn't apply, should it?

Also the information given for international students assumes that the students are living in their respective countries where as I already have plans to come Adelaide either way - the prices from international students are huge compared to home students, would that apply for me aswell?

Any help would be great!

Hi young flinny haven't heard from you for a while.....

If you are here on a PR you pay the same fees as citizens, but you have to pay them up front each semester. If you are on any other type of visa then you have to pay the international rate.

Once here you apply to uni through the admissions centre called SATAC. Closing date for the following year is usually end of September. You can apply for upto 5 courses. SATAC has its own website and you can apply online.

Thanks alot for your reply :) I deleted everything from my computer and forgot to put PIA back in my favourites.. I only ever go on my favourites.

Unfortunatley we aren't going on a PR, we hope to obtain PR after 2 years in SA, so it looks like I'll be working for 2 years because the prices for International students are expensive! I'm happy to be working for two years though - thanks for the advice.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Thanks alot for your reply :) I deleted everything from my computer and forgot to put PIA back in my favourites.. I only ever go on my favourites.

Unfortunatley we aren't going on a PR, we hope to obtain PR after 2 years in SA, so it looks like I'll be working for 2 years because the prices for International students are expensive! I'm happy to be working for two years though - thanks for the advice.

Look into that one young flinny, If you are on your Mum and dads temp visa, THEY have to be supporting you, it could turn out if you work you will have to apply for a visa in your own right! Which I doubt you will get. Doulbe and third check it before you come.

I have friends on the temp visa and their daught cant work more that a pt time job they have to mainly supporting her or she will have to go home:sad:, she is supposed to be going to uni, but they cant afford the int fees. she only has to wait till next year and they will be perm visa.

Please look into this issue, I am not sure of all your visa terms, but it is worth a look.

sarah

Look into that one young flinny, If you are on your Mum and dads temp visa, THEY have to be supporting you, it could turn out if you work you will have to apply for a visa in your own right! Which I doubt you will get. Doulbe and third check it before you come.

I have friends on the temp visa and their daught cant work more that a pt time job they have to mainly supporting her or she will have to go home:sad:, she is supposed to be going to uni, but they cant afford the int fees. she only has to wait till next year and they will be perm visa.

Please look into this issue, I am not sure of all your visa terms, but it is worth a look.

sarah

Hmmm. Thanks for the information, will have to do some thinking :GEEK:.

I'm here as a mature age international student doing a 3 year degree at UniSA and then hoping to get a suitable job so that we can apply for permanent residency. Don't know a lot about the being on mum and dads visa but can certainly say that fees are about 50% more for international students than citizens. Plus as someone mentioned I pay up front every 6 months, no HECS debt type stuff for internationals.

Our biggest issue is the working hours restriction. Both my wife and myself are only allowed to work 20 max per week, and there's no averaging it out across weeks either. During official Uni holidays I am allowed to work full time but my wife still has the 20 hr restriction.

It seems as though it can be easier (but more expensive) to get a Uni place if you are international as competition for domestic places is very high on some courses. There are some locals who couldn't get a place on the one I'm doing as there year 12 results weren't good enough so they are doing another course first then hoping to transfer.

Hi young flinny haven't heard from you for a while.....

If you are here on a PR you pay the same fees as citizens, but you have to pay them up front each semester. If you are on any other type of visa then you have to pay the international rate.

Once here you apply to uni through the admissions centre called SATAC. Closing date for the following year is usually end of September. You can apply for upto 5 courses. SATAC has its own website and you can apply online.

Just to add.......As citizens you can get the HECS loan , Student loan, or if you pay up front you get 20% off. As a PR you dont get these.