How to start looking at schools?

jo_marnes

Hi everyone,

We will be landing in Adelaide in March and my eldest (5) will need a new school!

How do you go about looking when you don't know where you will live etc?

Also, will he be quite ahead of others his age as he will have completed 1.5yrs+ at school here already.

Random question - do they wear the grey trousers etc like they do here in the UK? Just wondering whether to bring them or donate them to school spares!

Jo xx

Guest Django

Hi Jo,

We thought the same as you as regarding how to find a school. We found the best way is to find somewhere to live and then visit the schools in that area. The schools are very welcoming and its easy to arrange visits.

As for uniform it is all totally different over here so I would donate.

Pete

Guest Django

Those first weeks are busy. If you need any help just shout. We also had, shall we say, disruptive children. They had been on school summer holidays. They then should have gone back for a week in September but we didn't think it was fair on them having said their tearful goodyes in July. We then went to my parents for a week before the off. After we arrived here we thought we would give it a week before looking and when we did the schools here were off for two weeks. In total they were off school for 11 - 12 weeks and they and we were desperate for them to start again. Now they are off again on their summer break.:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Pete

Guest Trakki

You shouldn't worry about your son being ahead. We were as Sophie worked with the year above her in England. Once she started here, she had to go back into reception for her age. We needn't have worried though as the school is fantastic. They guage things on the childs ability and not what the curriculum says they should be doing. Also the schools in the first years have very different priorities on education, builing on their confidence etc as well as learning so your son will be fine.

HTH and all the best

• 3 weeks later...
Generally you get about 3 months to find a school and enrol.

Have a look at the Department of Education website

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/

Its very informative but don't expect Ofsted type results, we don't do that here.

Jo

Thanks for this - quick query - do kids enter at beginning of a term or can they enter mid-term? Got a Visa, planning to come over between June and October, trying to work out when best for kids.

Pies

Guest Libby1971

It makes no difference IMO. Based on my experience I think the most important thing is to get the kids into some kind of routine and also try to get them some friendly faces their own age asap. Let's be honest, we get here and as soon as possible we are out there trying to get a support network established and often as adults we forget the ones most in need of a support network are the kids.

Most kids go backwards when making a change to a school of any kind so don't panic if the first couple of results are not as you would have them.

Thanks - on landing I will have a 4 and 6 year old, so I guess the 4 year old will start in Jan 2010, as his birthday is in December....sounds like this will all work out just fine!!

And I will get to spend some quality time with my 4 year old for a good while........might have to think about some daycare for a few months - will do my research and come back with any queries - thank you all!!

Pies