school worries

Guest hayls

hi my name is hayley, we have just sold our house and booked one way flights to adelaide for jan 1st argh never ever been to oz.I have two daughters aged 12 and 13 who do not want to go and leave their friends. Does any body have any information on schools i have been told that they go back a year in oz, we have emailed a few and they sound great one even had a winery on campus, i wonder if they are allowed to bring what they make home!!.my partner is a joiner thought i better mention him as without him we would not be going.Any one else out there in the same boat as us with daughters the same age. cheers hayls

Guest dglamoore

Hi Hayley

Good luck on our new life! It is a huge moves for your kids to make and must be hard. There is a young persons forum where they can meet others their age that are going through the same thing here -

http://z2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/index.php?showforum=207

They may feel better if they can talk to somebody their own age about their worries and may even make some friends. We are hoping to go over by Easter next year and have no experience of schools. Here is a link where you can find lists of most of the schools in Adelaide -

http://www.adelaidebound.com/children.htm

Hope these links help you out a bit :D

Lisa

• 1 month later...

Hi Lisa

My son will be 11 in Oct 2007. In the UK he will be Year 6 Juniors in Sept 2007 but I think we will be in SA before then.

The Australian school year differs to the UK - do you know if in Jan/Feb 2008 he will be Year 6 still & stay there a bit longer or Year 7 - reason is Year 7 is Senior school & my youngest is only 6 years old - they both think that they will start a new school together !!!!

Any ideas how it will work out for me??

Thanks

Angela :?

Guest dglamoore

Hi Angela

Not sure how the school years work out there. Dawn is 4 and was due to start primary full time in January but is staying in nursery until we go in April as she won't be 5 til end of august so didn't seem fair to move her so close to leaving.

I emailed one of the schools in Flagstaff enquring when she would start school overe there and they have come back with a date for her.

I would suggest emailing a few of the schools with your childrens date of birth and I am sure they will be able to let you know what year they would go into. I had a lovely email back from them.

Lisa :D

Good idea thanks Lisa.

I will do that over the weekend & let you know how I get on.

ps got the ASPC reply today:

Skilled Independent Regional (Provisional) (SIR VISA)

Paper based applications: 16 June 2006

E-lodged (online) applications: 4 August 2006

I am glad the agency have agreed to do the on-line processing! :)

Angela

I've just emailed SA education to ask them about the Year Bradley would be in - so I will hopefully get a reply tomorrow.

ps got the ASPC reply today:

Skilled Independent Regional (Provisional) (SIR VISA)

E-lodged (online) applications: 15 August 2006

IT WAS 04 AUGUST - SO THINGS MOVING ON FOR YOU!

I want sponsorship!! Its only been 14 days tomorrow - I am just so impatient!

Have you had the blood test results yet from the meds?

Angela

I received a really useful email from SA DECS - contains the following:

In South Australia, primary school education begins with Reception (5 & 6 year olds) and goes through to Year 7 (12 – 13 year olds). Secondary school education is from Year 8 to Year 12.

Upon enrolment, and pending assessment, your son will be placed in a suitable class and, given his age, this will probably be with students of similar age which is Years 5.

Our school year begins in January and concludes in December with 4 school terms throughout the year.

Useful link:

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/decs_home.asp

I have peace of mind now that both my boys are likely to be together for min 1 year if not 2 years before my eldest moves up to Secondary school.

Angela :)

Our middle daughter chose not to do the assesment tests at school, she chose to repeat yr 8 (I think but it was known as 2nd year when I went to high school) she said it made her feel clever and everyone thought she was really bright.

Guest dglamoore

Hi

Bloods came back fine thanks Angela. Good to see you got a quick reply back so have an idea of the schools years for Bradley now.

There is so much to sort out on top of the visa!!

Lisa :D

Hi Lisa

Yes really please how it will work out for Bradley. I think it will really help him settle if he's kept in Yr 5 (current) for longer. Year 6 starts getting much harder for them. And most importantly he will be with his Brother, which he is not now, they go to separate schools infants & juniors - so they are both excited about that :!: :) :!: :)

You have all the school worries to come with Dawn, no seriously its fine really. :?

Angela

Guest dglamoore

Hi Angela

We have been really lucky as Dawn is due to start full time primary in January. As she is not 5 until the end of August they are quite happy for her to remain in nursery until we go in April.

Then she will have similar hours in kindy in Adelaide til October when she will go full time :lol:

The attitude at schools in Adelaide seems to be geared around the kids rather than test scores which I guess is why they have such a good reputation and kids seem happier :D

Lisa :D:D

keeping my fingers crossed for your sponsorship - any day now!!!