Pre School

Riponian

Hi

Just been looking and at the DECS and is it right that kids don't start pre-school till they are 4?

That would make our lives easier as we not due out there till later this year and my son is 3 at the end of the year. If we were staying we would have to sign him up now but at least this gives me time to find the right area before we sign up.

Thanks

Michelle

Yes kids here start kindy at 4 for four Half days for the year before they start school. The term before they turn 4 they go for one session a week (pre entry.) However it all depends on when your child turns 4 because they are only funded for four terms of kindy, so you have to time kindy entrance right so it leads onto school which they generally start the term after they turn 5.

Guest thebaddeleys
Yes kids here start kindy at 4 for four Half days for the year before they start school. The term before they turn 4 they go for one session a week (pre entry.) However it all depends on when your child turns 4 because they are only funded for four terms of kindy, so you have to time kindy entrance right so it leads onto school which they generally start the term after they turn 5.

Hi are you saying that children can get free childcare when they turn 4? but only one session a week? thanks x x x

Hi the term before your child turns 4, they can go to kindi for one session a week (half day). then the next term when they are 4 they go for 4 sessions a week.( 4 half days). My daughter has just turned 3 so will start pre-entry next Jan, then go full time kindi the following term, about April time.

Hope this helps

Wendy

Kindy is not classed as childcare here. In SA it is classed as an important part of earlychild hood education. It is seen as an important part of preparing the child for school. By the end of their time at Kindy your child will be expected to be able to sit on a mat for a group time, listen and talk in turn, use scissors and crayons, pens etc. They should be able to recognise the alphabet letters, copy them and write their name. They should also be able to recognise and count upto 20. They should know their colours etc, but all of this is emphasised through play. They are encouraged to express their creativity which means loads of still wet paintings and boxes of things glued together which are too large for the child to carry. Kindy programmes here in Sa are based on a mix of Froebel and Montissori methodology. Most kindys do an excellent job in preparing the child for school readiness. Most SA kids go to kindy but it is not compulsory.

You will have to pay $80ish a term but it is government funded. This is the parent contribution for consumables. Your child is entitled to 4 sessions a week. Some kindies will allow you to combine these so that your child has 1 full day and 2 half days or two full days. It depends how big the kindy is in numbers. The term before your child starts they go for one session of pre entry to get them adjusted to the kindy environment.

Guest thebaddeleys
Kindy is not classed as childcare here. In SA it is classed as an important part of earlychild hood education. It is seen as an important part of preparing the child for school. By the end of their time at Kindy your child will be expected to be able to sit on a mat for a group time, listen and talk in turn, use scissors and crayons, pens etc. They should be able to recognise the alphabet letters, copy them and write their name. They should also be able to recognise and count upto 20. They should know their colours etc, but all of this is emphasised through play. They are encouraged to express their creativity which means loads of still wet paintings and boxes of things glued together which are too large for the child to carry. Kindy programmes here in Sa are based on a mix of Froebel and Montissori methodology. Most kindys do an excellent job in preparing the child for school readiness. Most SA kids go to kindy but it is not compulsory.

You will have to pay $80ish a term but it is government funded. This is the parent contribution for consumables. Your child is entitled to 4 sessions a week. Some kindies will allow you to combine these so that your child has 1 full day and 2 half days or two full days. It depends how big the kindy is in numbers. The term before your child starts they go for one session of pre entry to get them adjusted to the kindy environment.

Hi,

sorry i just want to clarify something, i'm probably being really thick but i'll ask anyway....

so my little goes to the ABC nursery here, is this classed as kindy, he's in the kindy room for ages 3-5 year old kids, so when he turns 4 this november he will get 4 half sessions a week until he starts school, is that right? is everyone entitled to this?

Thanks and sorry for asking so many questions x x x

No ABC is a child care centre, privately run. You will still have to pay for his kindy at child care rates if your child stays here for kindy. Government run kindys are just for 4 yr olds and there will be a couple around Glenelg.

Glenelg East : Dunbar Tce

Glenelg North : Baden Patterson Kindergarten

Warradale Kindergarten

Somerton Pk Kindergarten.

Some childcare centres will transport kids to a local kindy but a lot have stopped this.

Childcare centres are supposed to provide the same kind of pre schooling to the kids in the kindy age range (3-5). There is supposed to be a trained teacher employed to do the programming, sometimes it is the director of the centre.

• 1 month later...
Guest thebaddeleys

Hi,

Does anyone send their children to Baden Patterson Kindergarten in glenelg north? or does anyone know anyone that does?

Any opinions good or bad I'd really like to hear them, I am looking for a Kindy that receives the goverment funding (4 sessions a week) as I can't afford it otherwise.

Or if anyone knows a good one in Glenelg that they can recommend to me, that would be good too.

Thanks in advance,

Kerry x