School Fees

ken&wendy

Hi, this may seem like a silly question, but I can't seem to find the answer on any website I've tried.

We are coming over on a 475 visa which doesn't entitle us to much when we get there. What do I have to pay in the way of school fees. I know we have to make a contribution to school which is set, but as a temporary visa holder do I have to pay for them to go to school?

In my mind we would not be able to afford for our two girls to go to a private school but if we had to pay for a state school anyway then it may mean that I would look at going private.

Any help gratefully received.

Wendy

the private schools have a higher rate for fees for international students, because they don't get the government contribution. State schools also have fees that are about $6000 for internat students. I think most temp visas allow school aged children to attend school at local costs, but uni aged students have to pay international student rates.

Guest TC for short

When we came out to Oz we had to pay $6000 per child per year in Vic & would have had to pay $12000 per child per year in QLD. They are state fees for international students. It all depends on exactly which visa you're on. Don't know the figure for SA I'm afraid.

The other fees mentioned ($200-$400) are also per child per year and relate to the cost of providing pens, paper, rulers & other materiel through the school year. They vary from school to school.

Guest Bernie

Hi Ken and Wendy,

Have you thought of contacting the local eduaction authority? http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/

Might give you the definitive answer.

You will find some private school fees to be very reasonable compared with the UK. So worth looking at all the options.

NOT LONG NOW!!

Hi, yes school fees quoted are about right for primary and high school.

Then add on the cost of any extra-carricular activities, skating, field trips etc; and of course you have to buy the childrens excercise books.

Most schools have a student supply shop for the items they need, and i think they are subsidised; but you can always visit k-mart, target and office works for a comparison.

Guest Tina P
Hi, yes school fees quoted are about right for primary and high school.

Then add on the cost of any extra-carricular activities, skating, field trips etc; and of course you have to buy the childrens excercise books.

Most schools have a student supply shop for the items they need, and i think they are subsidised; but you can always visit k-mart, target and office works for a comparison.

Hi,

My daughter goes to Mclaren Flat primary and her fee's for this year are $215. You can pay these in one go or arrange to pay weekly/fortnightly.

We are on the temp visa and the charges are no different, I have never been asked by the school what visa we are on.

I buy the sweatshirts, t-shirt and hat with the school logo on from the school supply shop but the shorts, skort and jogger's from Big W.

Its a Royal blue and yellow uniform, pain to find girl's decent fitted trouser's though in this colour, only joggers and she looks like a sack of spud's. :nah:

Tina

Guest sandar1

My daughter in law had her sisters come over to live with her and my son on a temporary visa, they did have to pay quite a large amount for their schooling, it came as a surprise after they had been here for a while it was picked up by someone in the school (not sure how but will find out), they were fortunate as their church helped them out with the fees but I know it was several thousands. They were at a state school and had to pay as international students. Anyway will get back to you on what the deal was. It is best to find out before you make a commitment as you are going to be on a temporary visa, you may want to check it out. I'll post another reply to you once I find out what their deal really was.

Sandra D

Guest TC for short

Right. School fees are incurred subject to the type of visa you are on. Some visas incur fees & some don't. If your child is classed as an International Student you WILL have to pay for them to attend a state school. The fees for South Australia for 2009 are as follows:

Primary School - $8000 per child per year.

High School -

Yr 8-10 - $9500 per child per year

Yr 10-12 - $10500 per child per year.

Further information can be found here

These fees are not to be confused with the Materiels & Books fees levied by individual schools which as the name suggests go towards buying pens, glue, pencil cases etc and are decided by each school. These are currently $200-$300 per child per year.

Hope this settles it!

TC

Guest TC for short

What Rachiegarlo added is spot on. What it boils down to is

be EXTREMELY CAREFUL to check what fees will apply to the visa you intend coming out on. If you make a mistake it could quite easily bankrupt you or land you in court. Or both, of course!

Guest stufi1997

hiya, We came over on a SIR 495 which is the old name for the 475 I think (god i hope i'm right) and we do not have to pay international student fees in South Australia. The school took a copy of Aarons visa sticker in his passport when we enroled him. we do pay the other fees mentioned £215 a year, cheers fiona xx