Moving 2 Adelaide 3 weeks time

Guest X-Lil-Rach_X

Guest X-Lil-Rach_X

Im 14 years old and am moving to Adelaide on the 30th April (3 weeks)... My parents cant wait to go and my dad is really excited... But im a bit worried :wacko: I really dont want to leave my family and friends :sad: i have some family out there and will obv make new friends :huh: but im really worried bout what its gunna b like :confused:

It is natural for you to feel worried because everything is unknown to you here and you are moving away from everything that you have known. Australia is a really great place for teenagers (and otherkids too). Most kids who come here usually settle in faster than their parents, maybe cos they are qucker to grasp new things, just like new technology. Things will be fine for you, it may take a little time but I think you will find you love it here, from your post you seem to know what to expect already, you're prepared for new friendships etc. Don't forget your old friends though and it is so easy to stay in touch with people through msn facebook etc. Good luck, it will be exciting.

Guest Mick and Helen

My daughter Sophie is fifteen we have been here for over three years, she has made loads of new friends a lot of them English but also Australian as well.She now has a part time job in a kiosk at Henley beach where she also made new friends. Don't worry to much Adelaide is a very nice place and you will soon settle in, you will still miss your old mates,but soon make some new ones.

Good luck Helen

Guest HRHelp

Its going to be great - it will be blue sky and sunshine and you'll learn that you can make friends everywhere you go in the world (and have friends across the world to visit and stay with!).

Its hard for you now because you can see what you are leaving and you can't see clearly what you are coming to.

You are coming to a great place so look forward to the move and your great adventure, look forward to more sunshine, more fun, new friends. A year from now you will look back on this and say "I know why I wasn't so sure a year ago but now I am here with my new friends and great life - I am so glad I came"

Guest Bernie

I think you'll love it Rach! My eldest son was your age when he came and had no trouble making friends.

The great thing is how easy it will be to keep in touch with your mates back in the UK online. They will all want to come and visit when they see the pics of you on the beach :).

Stay postive.

Guest xVanillaMilkshakex

Hey Rachel:cute:

I think i mite be moving to adelaide too...i am kinda worried too:P

do u know what skwl ur going to yet???

Maybe me and u can chat about it:wubclub:

xx

Guest X-Lil-Rach_X

Hi,

i have no idea what skl im goin 2 yet, but my cousens are looking at schools for me bacause they live out there. what is your name? age? what part of the process are you... have you got ur vesa yet?

luv rach X ;)

Guest harper210267

My two boys will be in your position next year, when we hopefully go out there.

They are 14 and 16 and can't wait but I want to make sure I have knowldege of the school system and best schools for them to join. Saying that my eldest will be looking at colleges...

Do you know when the new term starts? Ours is September but as they are the other way round, I'm unsure of there intake month.

Guest xVanillaMilkshakex
Hi,

i have no idea what skl im goin 2 yet, but my cousens are looking at schools for me bacause they live out there. what is your name? age? what part of the process are you... have you got ur vesa yet?

luv rach X ;)

Hey rachel:)

Nope we havent got our visa yet but my moms lkin at skwls

i'm ashley btw and 14:) Its good u have family out there cause they can tell ya about it:)

when r u moving???

xx

Just thought I'd add - my daughter is 14, we've been here nearly five years. Next week during the school holidays she is taking place in some workshops being held at Flinders Uni - the workshops she is doing include: philosophy, yoga, practical robotics, creating your own video game, photography, mooting (something legal!), creative problem solving, one on horticulture where they learn about how to use good bugs to fight parasites, and one on architecture. She is just back from a week's camp with the Australian Girls' Choir in Melbourne with about 290 other girls aged between about 12 and 18.

There are some great opportunities here, and of course, when you hang out with your friends, you can go to pool parties, play tennis at their house, or even head down to the beach! Certainly a bit more fun than hanging round shopping malls which her friends back in the UK seem to spend their free time doing!

Hope you enjoy your new life and get lots of opportunities for fun and adventure!

Diane

• 3 weeks later...
Guest X-Lil-Rach_X

Ok pepz im in adelaide have been here 4 bout 5 days now.. i am slowly getting over my tirdness from the plane ride. can any1 tell me wot high school's r gd in the north east.. me n my parents have moved in to my uncle n aunts house they live in redwood park. we r lookin 4 school's now and hopefully a house. if there is any1 that is round my age (14) that wants to meet up at tea tree plaza or something like that. just let me know. luv rach xxxxx

Guest X-Lil-Rach_X

hi... me and my parents are staying with family in redwood park. its nice to have time with my four cousins as i have not seen them for nearly two years. Can u give me the names of any good high schools around this area. i am really looking foward to going to a school to meet new friends but i can be a bit shy. rach xxx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest X-Lil-Rach_X

ok... i have applied for pedare christian college... (im not a christian) but it looks like a gd school. i will be going into middle school if i et accepted. if your son is 16 he will be in high school.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Brummie

Hi Rach, You don't say whether you want to go to private or public school. Pedare is private, so is Gleeson Colleage, but Golden Grove High School is public, there is also Banksia Park High school, Modbury high, which are both public, all within your area.

Can't help with the schools query, sorry, but glad to see you're asking these sort of questions as you plan your new life here. Making a move like this is tough for adults, but I think it must be tougher for a teenager - apart from leaving friends there's the upheaval of different schools and education system etc.

Good luck with it all.

Jim