Childcare in Hallett Cove?

Guest ben&sharon

Guest ben&sharon

Hiya,

I've not been on here for some time due to the frustration of the waiting process (and not wanting to torment myself even further!!), but we now have PR visas and a buyer for the house, so we're planning to be out there in early July :D. We have a two year old, and we need full time childcare - and we've been offered a place at Hallett Cove Child Care Centre on Ramrod Avenue. Does anyone know anything about this place? It doesn't have to be the last place he goes, but is it good enough to start with? And does anyone have any other suggestions? All advice will be gratefully received!!!

Thanks,

Sharon.

Hi Sharon

Welcome back to PIA.

I live in Hallett Cove and unfortunately do not have any direct experience of child care here but do know that you have a few options with regard to where to send your little one.

I have heard mixed reports about the centre you've tentatively chosen and also Nanna's daycare on the Cove Road. There is also an ABC child care centre over the Lonsdale Road at Sheidow Park, am unsure to its reputation but probably worth a butchers.

Other than that you could go for Family Daycare, which is a childminding service in the carers own home. They must be approved, have hefty insurance and schemes of work in place to provide a stimulating early learning environment for the children in their care. I have seen a lady on Bounty Road is offering family daycare but if you want more info try http://www.familydaycare.com.au/#

on their website you'll be able to find details of the local area office, they will be able to search a database and tell you who's offering childminding near you.

Choosing child care is such a personal thing isn't it? Like you say, you may have to start off with your first choice and change later.

Good luck with the move

Dette :)

Guest norah battie

I think I know the lady in Bounty road....her name be Lorraine and she looked after my youngest....really good.......I was very happy as a parent and a teacher.......House is full of collectables and a tardis outside home but dont let that put you off.....warm family home......excellent childminder who gives oral and written feedback in a diary at end of day......I looked at the centre you are talking about and gut feeling was NO.....pm me for info

Yes, I think we're talking about the same one Norah Battie...and yes the stuff outside doesn't exactly instill confidence but as you've said it sounds like Lorraine knows what she's doing. I always think home based care is lovely for a child in full time care...home from home so to speak.

Guest norah battie

Quite agree....house is a home........clean and tidy and full of warmth......lovely two kids of her own and she spoiled my son rotten and was firm but kind....taught him loads of pre school things and I have two A4 diaries packed full of her thoughts each day. She is available from 6.30 in the morning to later at night. I never needed those hours but if you are perm you can claim and get care cheaper........worked out cheaper than going to child care centre which I wasnt too keen on. Lorraine always took the kids out and about and visited pet shops etc. As you can tell I would recommend and its sooooo hard just choosing anyone of a list

Hiya,

I've not been on here for some time due to the frustration of the waiting process (and not wanting to torment myself even further!!), but we now have PR visas and a buyer for the house, so we're planning to be out there in early July :D. We have a two year old, and we need full time childcare - and we've been offered a place at Hallett Cove Child Care Centre on Ramrod Avenue. Does anyone know anything about this place? It doesn't have to be the last place he goes, but is it good enough to start with? And does anyone have any other suggestions? All advice will be gratefully received!!!

Thanks,

Sharon.

Hi

I know Hallett Cove Child Care Centre on Ramrod very well.... My son went there for 8 months...only left because we moved out of Hallett Cove area.

If you have been offered a place there...then I'd take it!!!

Guest ben&sharon

Thanks everyone - I can see this needs a little more thinking about.

One thing I'm pretty sure of though is that I'm really keen that my son have a nursery environment, and the social aspect of mingling with a variety of kids, rather than just being restricted to the two or three other children that a home carer would have - it's one of the reasons that put us off sending him to a childminder here. However fantastic this lady is (and she does sound great, I'll admit!), he's been in nursery for the last 18 months, and he's thrived on it.

I'll take a look into these other centres that you've suggested Dette - I know from experience that every care centre has mixed reports, so I'm not too put off!!

Seems I ought to do as lorluc suggests at the moment; if we have a space then we ought to take it - the waiting lists all seem so long out there (I assume that's got something to do with ABC folding?).

Think this might just be the most worrying part of the whole move!! :unsure:

Thanks again!!

Sharon.

Guest lippy

Our son goes to Marino Child Care. He has also attended Nana's in Hallett Cove for a short time. Felt Marino had a lot more space and plenty of outdoor activities - it's also smaller (less kids) and has a more family feel to it. Only 10mins from HC towards the city.

Julie

Thanks everyone - I can see this needs a little more thinking about.

One thing I'm pretty sure of though is that I'm really keen that my son have a nursery environment, and the social aspect of mingling with a variety of kids, rather than just being restricted to the two or three other children that a home carer would have - it's one of the reasons that put us off sending him to a childminder here. However fantastic this lady is (and she does sound great, I'll admit!), he's been in nursery for the last 18 months, and he's thrived on it.

I'll take a look into these other centres that you've suggested Dette - I know from experience that every care centre has mixed reports, so I'm not too put off!!

Seems I ought to do as lorluc suggests at the moment; if we have a space then we ought to take it - the waiting lists all seem so long out there (I assume that's got something to do with ABC folding?).

Think this might just be the most worrying part of the whole move!! :unsure:

Thanks again!!

Sharon.

From what you have said you are after.......Hallett Cove Child Care Centre will tick all our boxes. It has great facilities and an outdoor area, your child will love!

Your right as well about waiting lists.....after leaving Hallett Cove, my son went to Happy Valley...from what i understand Happy Valley has a waiting list...think last i heard it was about 6 months!

My son was a very nervous and clingy 2 year old when we arrived. They worked wonders with him....and wasnt long before he was a confident little lad!

It doesnt have to be the most worrying part of the move for you.....you'll be fine there!

Guest ben&sharon

Thanks for the reassurance!! Funnily enough, Happy Valley looks like being our ultimate destination, but the waiting list there is quite long at the moment - I wanted somewhere for the interim. It sounds like Hallett Cove might be OK.

God - it's all so confusing from this end!! At least here, I can at least go and visit the place!!

This is the only stumbling block I've had so far (fingers crossed), so it can't be all bad!!

Thanks for the reassurance!! Funnily enough, Happy Valley looks like being our ultimate destination, but the waiting list there is quite long at the moment - I wanted somewhere for the interim. It sounds like Hallett Cove might be OK.

God - it's all so confusing from this end!! At least here, I can at least go and visit the place!!

This is the only stumbling block I've had so far (fingers crossed), so it can't be all bad!!

Really? My son spent about 5 months at Hallett Cove and then just over 2 years at Happy Valley. They are very much alike....independent centres.....very similar layouts as well. I think there is a connection with the two, same designers etc....but they are still independant?.....

Anyway, HV centre as a great outdoor area as well....and they have pets...think a rabbit and a turtle. My son left there last October when he went to school. Also HV kindy is right next door, which is extremely handy if you work. Once your child is of kindy age (4), they will do 4 sessions a week...either mornings or afternoons. The childcare centre and kindy work hand in hand.

They childcare centre staff brings the kids over to the kindy and pick them up....

MIght be an idea to get your name down there as well!!!

Are you coming out on a permanent visa? If so, you will be entitled to Child Care benefit....which is income tested. Also...in order to get this, your child will need to be completely up to date with the vacination schedule over here....

Good luck xx