School Ages ??

Hi guys

We have just come back from a 3 week reccie of Adelaide it is amazing! The kids loved it carnt wait to go back next year (one child wobbly). We are on a 475 visa and I know it all sounds risky no job hardly any money What if... What if... but I want us to have an adventure together before the kids get to old and leave. If it works out great if not then we will hold our hands up and come home but at least I wont have any what if's on my death bed!! AND I would have live in Oz for 2/3 years. Something to tell the grandchildren.

I have looked at schools but cannot find out what year group my middle son would be in so I thought I would ask on here as I always get an answer. (Its a great site!)

He is unsure about going as I cannot answer his question about school. (Yet) He will be sixteen next march and we will be coming out at the end of June 2010. Will he still be at school ? Or will he go to Tafe ?

All my other sons are sorted the 18 year old has already chosen his course at Tafe and just cannot wait to go back. The youngest will be 12 next year so he knows he is going to a secondary school.

Please help so I can put his mind at rest and carry on with getting ready to go!! How exciting/scary/oh my god what are we doing/what the hell let's go!!

Regards Janine :wacko:

Your son can go to Tafe, but most 16yo go to school until the end of yr 11. He would be in Yr 11next year. He would spend the rest of the yr in yr 11 then go into yr 12 the following year. I think it is easier for kids to make friends at school, espesh if they have been used to the school environment and haven't left yet.

Just read your post about TAFE....and the visa you are on, which i think is a temp visa?....Have you checked out the cost? Not sure, but you may be deemed to be international students with TAFE? If you are, then the costs could be quite substantial.

We were on a permanent visa and my daughter went to TAFE for a 5 month course....fees for that were $1000....

Guest Mrs PHH
Hi guys

The youngest will be 12 next year so he knows he is going to a secondary school.

Just to let you know your son may be in Primary when you get here next year. My daughter was 12 in March and she is in Year 7, which is still primary in the metro area of SA. It would be best to check with the schools in the area that you're going to move to.

Good Luck with everything :)

Just to let you know your son may be in Primary when you get here next year. My daughter was 12 in March and she is in Year 7, which is still primary in the metro area of SA. It would be best to check with the schools in the area that you're going to move to.

Good Luck with everything :)

I agree....my daughter was 13 in august 2008 and started year 8 (first year at high school) end of January 2009.

So...13.5 by the time she started high school.....pretty sure a 12 year old will still be at primary...

Thank you for all your help guys I knew the people on this site would know the answer. The youngest son isnt bothered about it being primary or secondary his is ok about school. Also I have checked out the Tafe college the fees are $13,000 per year so I'm hoping by his second year we will have our pr visa. I 'm glad the middle one can still go to school as he hates change so to carry on being at school will help some of the way to him settling. I also agree it will help with making friends.

Thanks again to everyone who replied to my post. Regards Janine

My daughter has a friend who will be 16 this September. She is currently in Year 10, if that helps. School years run obviously from Jan to December more or less, so there isn't the September 1st cut off like there is in the UK - if he was born in 1993, you'll be in Year 10 this year, Year 11 in 2010 - if he was born in 1994, it's Year 9 this year, Year 10 in 2010 (although this isn't hard and fast as it's quite usual for kids to skip a year, or even jump a year if they're very bright - but it's a good starting point) - sounds to me like Year 10 is where he'll be placed initially.

• 5 months later...

well im 15 now so same age as your son so in 2010 hell be in yr 11 most likly but it depends on the school and him he could go to yr 12 and be younger than the kids but upto what he learnt in uk or yr 11 and just a bit behind and same ageish. in our yr we have a kid who just turned 15 and some 17yr old so go on where hell feel most comfortable and what work there is .p.s(aussies are quite tall so he will look younger than some kids but actually older some yr 7's where taller than me)tafe seems rubbish we got all the talks about it and it seems easier to stay at school but you can do part time tafe go once a wk and morebut you can get behind. and there isnt no really big exmas so you can go to tafe or uni at the end of yr 12

alecia