applying for perm res

Guest robertreynolds

Guest robertreynolds

I think I want to apply for the permanent resident skilled persons visa. I get the 120 required points on the immi.gov.au website, and hopefully once I can get a bit of work here I will have a couple of extra points. I have a lot of questions though, so hopefully you nice folk here can help with some of them :)

• Is it better to be in Australia or back in the UK when I apply - or does it matter?
  • Is it best to use an agency to do the application - which is the best one to use?
  • How long does the whole process take?
  • How much does it cost?

Ill probably think of a load more but this will get me started. Cheers

Guest Libby1971

It is difficult to answer all of these as each person is different. If you have a look at past threads you will see that other people have asked about migration agents. It might be quicker for you to have a read through those instead of waiting for other people to reply to this which might take a while.

There are companies here and UK based which will help you. What you need to cnsider is how you communicate with them, and if that is easier with or without a time difference to consider. We used an agent in order to gain our PR. Many people do theirs without the need for an agent. I am not that organised, or wasn't at the time and felt that some guidance was worth paying for. Costs vary according to company (again details in past threads) but prices vary.

How long it takes depends on you and whether you have all the documents ready to go. We applied for our skills test Apr 06, submitted visa application in May 06, had the request for our medicals in Nov 06, got our visa Feb 07 and arrived here 2 months later. Now that is a long time ago and things change, so don't hold me to it. It also depends on how many other people are applying at the same time etc.

Make some phone calls to agents to get a feel for things.

Guest robertreynolds

thanks for the reply. Its just me on my own no other applicants with me. I will give the forum a good search tomorrow, thanks. What sort of skills test is it you need to do? And can I go for a medical any time and have the results ready or does it have to be done within x amount of them asking you for it.

Guest hel&sam

we didnt use an agent, but our circumstances were quite straightforward, i think it depends on your personal circumstances, if your qualifications are complicated etc, it might be easier to use an agent. cant help with the IT skills tests. as far as medicals go, you have twelve months to validate your visa from undertaking the medical or police check so the later the better really.

Hi Robert,

If you have any visa queries...just go down to the immigration department in Currie Street, Adelaide and speak to them. Our son in law applied for everything whilst he was here...he was given a bridging visa to allow him to work...and they were really helpfull. He did his medicals and x rays near Currie St. We sometimes phone them with questions and they are really helpfull.