TRA help!

Guest Kemp family

Guest Kemp family

We are starting to compile all the info required to get my partner through the TRA process before we can apply for a permanent residency visa.. He is a Welder/Fabricator/metal worker, basically can turn his hand to most things! His qualifications are in welding/fabricating at NVQ2 level. The main problem we have is that he has worked for lots of different employers, some permanent but has mainly been doing contract work for the last 3 years. Has any one got any advice on how the TRA will view this and can any other welders who have passed it advise us on how they did it?! The VETASSESS process seems much easier but from what I have read on their web site this does not cover welders, did I understand that right? It does not appear to cover many occupations at all!

Thank you.

Sorry, can't help with welding - my OH's a painter and decorator. Doing the TRA was like talking to 3 year old. Every little thing had to be explained in such minute detail - what tools he used, how he used them, what he used them for etc. The TRA is the hardest bit - once you've passed that the rest is a dawdle!

Wendy

We are starting to compile all the info required to get my partner through the TRA process before we can apply for a permanent residency visa.. He is a Welder/Fabricator/metal worker, basically can turn his hand to most things! His qualifications are in welding/fabricating at NVQ2 level. The main problem we have is that he has worked for lots of different employers, some permanent but has mainly been doing contract work for the last 3 years. Has any one got any advice on how the TRA will view this and can any other welders who have passed it advise us on how they did it?! The VETASSESS process seems much easier but from what I have read on their web site this does not cover welders, did I understand that right? It does not appear to cover many occupations at all!

Thank you.

I think that if he can get hold of the companies that he has done the subby work for and ask them to do a letter stating the sort of work he has done, and stating the quality of the job done would be pretty good......the more references he can get the better.

Also any drawings that he has of the work he has undergone would also be very benefial to your TRA..

I hope this helps out in some way...

But also you may want to give an agent a call just to clarify any of this...to name a few Alan Collett (sp) Go Matilda, VISA Bureau......

Good luck with it all.....i know where your coming from i had to do it all for my 136 VISA ( toolmaker )

HG

Guest graandjac

The way we did our tra was to cover everything , even if you feel it is stupid , Describe your training .....your method of how welding is done, the tools you use , to impress i included health and saftey issues and even put pics of jobs and tools i used in to it........just go over the top. Good luck;)

Guest kangomik

He's a boiler maker. Thats what they call welder fabricators over here. I used fitting, rather than welding. As mentioned you need every little detail. Its a little like writing those working reports for every stage of the NVQ units.

I wonder worry about the flitting about, most companies give references.

Add loads of detail from Tech drawings, to current photo's of work completed. The pictures should include setting out, marking out, drilling, grinding , welding and of course the finished products.

More is never too much at this stage.

The TRA is the most difficult part, and will take longer than you think, but once past you will appreciate the effort.

He will need to sit tests when he arrives to get aussie quals...... Look into this, sometimes it can take a few months depending on the courses.

Thank you.

Hi

Not sure if this is relevant but my brother in law runs his own business (one man band) making wrought iron gates etc and has been advised that he could emigrate as a boiler maker. The TRA would have to spend 2 days at his workshop assessing his skills.

My OH is a brickie and has been self-employed for years. For the Vettasses we provided references from 4 of the companies that he had finished several contracts for. We drafted the references for the companies so they could just add their personal bits on, print on letterhead and sign. They had to include dates of employment, description of the company and type of work they undertook, projects he worked on eg new builds, refurbishments etc and a description of what was involved eg digging footings, laying brick, installing damp proof course, following Health & Safety etc, responsibilies, tools used, average hours worked per week and wages. Every minute detail had to be documented eg read architects plans & layed brick whilst constantly checking levels.

Hope this helps.

Tracey