Onset of jitters - some reassurance required please

niknjas

Hi

After sending a thread on here saying that SA were slow in sending sponsorship paperwork to DIAC and was anybody else having any problems, we received an email re 1100.

Due to this and other things going on in our lives, have suddenly got a bad case of the jitters. I was always 100% sure that had chosen the right area etc and now having doubts; have I done enough research, how do I know Adelaide is the right place to be and all other questions along those lines. Plus reading thread about reduction in migrants. Some things that I have read say the economy is getting better and some say it is not for Aus, so don't know what to believe. I've also read a lot of the threads re employment and people having problems getting jobs.:unsure:

Eldest is also messing us around on whether he is coming or not - he tells us one thing and hos mother another. Try to have a serious conversation with him about it and it just doesn't happen as he cannot focus.

I know there has more than likely been plenty of you that have felt like this that are there now but just need to know how you decided on Adelaide without seeing it and has it met your expectations.

Thanks

Niki

Guest molly75

Hi Nikki

I'm afraid i can't help alleviate your fears about the move to Adelaide, as i have not yet taken that step. But i just want you to know i am feeling just the same! We are due to move to Adelaide in August and suddenly all sorts of things seem to be putting me off going. The job situation is one, which you have already mentioned. I have a job to go to, but my husband doesn't and the thought of surviving on one wage does not look good. Also the rental market is another problem, many people seem to ahve problems securing a place to live.

As for your son, it is a big step for him to take and he must have many concerns too. Even with all this stress and anxiety, i think to myslef that not everyone gets the opportunity to live in Australia and the UK is only a day away if things don't work out. If the opportunity isn't grasped then will we regret it in the future, wondering 'what if'?

Thanks Molly75 - It's good to know that this is normal. I think that everything that needs to be done jsut seems so monumental at the moment. I am in the same position as you that we will only have one prospective wage coming in. We are still going to do this but I just hate uncertainty and always like verything sorted and organised. We have three prospective interview lined up for Jason when we get over there and he has said he will turn his hand to anything. Phoebe is only two so will try and sort something for her so I can work part time but have not worked in 6.5 years so that is daunting as well.

I think my brain is addled at the moment with the overload of information that is so different from UK as well. I hope it all goes well for you and your fears diminish soon

Niki

Guest Greg & Dani

Hi Niki, No 1 Rule... you came so far don't give up now!!

Recesion here is nowhere near as bad as in the UK and once you get here there is plenty of help available to you, wether it is finding a job or settling in or meeting people. Adelaide and Australians are very friendly and helpful. Don't be disencouraged by what you hear, you have to make this experience for yourself. Everyone who comes out here has a different story and different experiences, but also everyone has different expectations! I promise you, you will love the weather here and it will make a big difference to you. We have both been a lot happier here, even without jobs and beeing fed up every now and again, but 10 hours of blue sky and sun make such a difference to your mind. We got here 6 weeks ago and we met 2 other couples from the UK, today 5 out of the 6 of us have jobs. If you made up your mind, which i think you have by going through all your applications so far, give it a chance. I don't know your circumstances but for us we made this move without having been here before and it's not 100% perfect, but we love it and wouldn't go back for 1 million bucks. If you need help or support befor you get here or once you get here, feel free to contact us. We kinda know what it feels like and if we can help we will.

All the best and keep your chin up.

Guest graandjac

;)I love the jitters posts, only because i can remember feeling the same as did every one of us out here.

And its 100% normal , stay focused and take one step at a time. As for the roofing jobs , iam also a roofer, tiler (not out here though) there are heaps of new builds with lots of trades always needed .......but do expect it to take time to settle into the right job and your hubbie might have to take a step back in the short term, just be patient.....

Hi Greg & Dani & Graandjac

Thanks for your support - it is much appreciated. I'm not expecting it to be plain sailing and know it is going to be difficult at first. Good advice about taking it one step at a time as I resemble the chicken with no head at the mo (I'm normally more organised).

Niki

PS how do you reply to two people at the same time?:wacko: