Confused 7 Year Old - Advice Please??

Guest Kevin Quinn

Guest Kevin Quinn

Hi Everyone,

we have a slight problem...... our 7 year old is changing her mind about going to Australia and now wanting to stay at home. Most of you will think, just pack up and bring her ....after all she's seven and will end up loving the Aussie life!! But it’s not as easy as that....... Her Dad is very hostile to us going, (some would say understandably), and keeps undoing the positive images we're instilling in her.....so she's confused.

We were thinking of maybe trying to get her hooked up with an email buddy of similar age who has made the move and can give her the real picture of what her life will be like for a kid under ten???

Has anyone done this? Has anyone any ideas on how to, or where. to begin?

We’ve had her on web sites looking at lots of cool places to go and the Girl Guides of Adelaide and when she's looking at the images she's really excited - but two days with her Dad and all she talks about are Sharks and Spiders!!!

Any help would be great :wacko:

Kev & Ro

Guest Suziep

Dear Kev & Ro,

I was sorry to hear that Hannah has got a few emotional issues. As you are aware we are in the same situation and my ex tells Nathan lots of horror stories to put him off going and with the spate of recent plane crashes around the world must have placed him on cloud nine!! When we first started looking into emigrating 3-4 years ago Nathan was adamant that he was not coming as by now he had a fear of flying. Living with his Father was not an option for more reasons than I can list so we placed the move on the backburner. We continued researching and as Nathan has got older he is now really looking forward to going even though his Father still uses fortnightly emotional blackmail to get him to stay. We have got a hearing date through for the 3rd June for which I am bricking it but at the same time looking forward to reaching another milestone and being a little nearer to our goal. I cannot understand the logic why my ex plays with his own child's mind as long term it does him no favours whatsoever - my son is now really scared of him! As with all children they want to please everyone so Hannah telling one person one thing then changing her mind for another really is normal but not helpful for you when you are working so hard to remain a family unit. There are loads of kids here on PIA so fingers crossed Hannah can hook up with some like minded 7 year olds to put her in the picture as to how good Adelaide really is. Good luck with everything.

Guest Kevin Quinn

Thanks Sue,Ro & I have finger & toes crossed for you for your June date...it'll all go over without a hitch & you'll finally have the relief of getting past it & planning your move in ernest.Our solicitor has found 3 cases like ours in the courts here..2 won the right to move & a 3rd is appealing to the high court... so its becoming more common.Thanks for all your support.Kev & Ro

Guest Suziep

Hi Kev & Ro,

Many thanks. Always PM me if you need to get things off your chest. If I get any tips through our impending Court eposide I will let you know!

Hi Kev and Roo,

I have twin girls that are now 9 but were only 7 when we came over. One of them was very emotional about leaving her friends behind and even now, 16 months later, when she has a bad day or is tired or sick she cries and tells me I never asked HER if she wanted to move.

Do you have Skype???? If you could sort that out Hannah may be able to talk to some kids on here. My girls have had mainly positive experiences and may be a good source of encouragement. What sort of things is Hannah into??? There are lots of opportunities here and my girls may be able to encourage and interest her in what she will be able to do. They have made lots of friends and are always doing something. Next week they are off on school camp, something they have never done before, My god they are sooooooooooooooooo excited.

If you have Skype or think you could get it set up it would be well worthwhile and my girls would be happy to talk with Hannah

Karen

Feel free to PM me anytime. I have a daughter also hannah, she's 6 and a half, and she loves it here, we have been here coming up for 2 years, and there is lots for the kids to do. Hannah goes to dance classes, does stuff after schol, does sleepovers, then they come to sleepover at ours, they go swimming lessons every week, and much much more......