snakes.

Guest kellyjamie

Guest kellyjamie

Hi guys, another question sorry!

in short i am absolutely petrified of snakes, cant breathe go dizzy feel sick sweaty palms etc and i have been tryin to read up on the web about what snakes are in SA just so i have a heads up and can be aware of the potential situations. my real question is how many of you have come across them? its not so much out in the bush areas im concerned with, thats their habitat i understand that, its more the idea of them being in the garden or getting in the house or just randomly making their way down the street!!!! i have been visiting my local butterfly centre where they have several snakes to try and become accustomed to even just seeing them, its not working at all! im seriously considering hynotherapy x

If it sets your mind at rest any, we've been here five years nearly and only seen a snake twice - neither of the times in the garden. I was petrified of the kids making dens in the park when we got here, but they didn't see a single one either - just make lots of noise if you're anywhere snakey and I reckon they do their utmost to avoid you!

One we saw was a brown snake at the beach - in the dunes, one was a red bellied black snake crossing the path in front of us in Linear Park - a good way in front of us, so not too bad!

I'm petrified of spiders personally but I reckon we actually see less here than we used to see in England - in fact, not had a huntsman anywhere in the house since we got the cat! (Having said that, will probably have dozens tomorrow, sods law!)

Guest kellyjamie

Thanks, i know im probably over working my brain and letting my imagination get away, but when you have a fear its hard to rationalise, it would never stop me moving to oz so i suppose i must have a handle on it really if its not stopping me? thanks again:wubclub:

Guest kangomik

If you go looking you will find, so don't go looking!

I used to keep snakes back in the UK, havent seen a single one here in the wild. They are more scared of humans and do there best to get away.

Different houses in different areas will increase the risk of contact.

I know a man who had one in his back garden at christmas time at Mawson lakes of all places. He went home to catch it rather than pay for the snake man. Small brown snake, he caught it and released it not to far away. Brave man.

Cleland wild life park has some nice snakes in there, just so you know what to look for, they feed them on a sunday. This may help you. Sounds weird but its fascinating to watch.

Walk heavy when in the parks and they will dissapear before you arrive.

Apparently you can get quite a few in the dunes at the beach, but these areas are fenced off and sign posted. But if they do bask on the foot path don't try to shoo them off ( they get angry) just walk back and choose another path.

I wouldn't worry too much about the snakes. It is very unlikely that you will see any. I know that Oz has just about every poisonous creature on the planet but it's rare that you encounter them! Maybe if you go and live in the Northern Territory.

I am petrified of spiders. We left the pram under the carport one night and a massive Huntsman climbed in...we discovered it at the shopping centre! It was big enough to push the pram with the baby in it!

I was bitten by an ant though. Don't laugh! But don't worry about snakes. I really don't think that you'll see any.

I have never seen a snake in Adelaide (in over 3 years) but I did see one once in Magnetic Island in tropical Queensland. We had just been on the (deserted) beach watching the sun go down and were walking back and there was a fairly large black one right across the footpath!! The scary thing was that because it was so dark and the island didn't have any street lights we had switched our torch on literally 10 seconds before!! If we hadn't we wouldn't have seen it and might have trod on it!!

We froze at first and then I think I just stepped over it and carried on walking, which was a really stupid thing to do. We should have stopped then walked back slowly and crossed the road. After we'd gone past it slid away harmlessly into the grass at the side of the path.

I believe snakes like long grass and undergrowth. If you are walking out in the bush wear sensible shoes (trainers or boots not sandals) to protect your feet.

Our local museum had a snakes and spiders and creepy crawlies day recently where you see them at close quarters and handle some of them. My kids were really keen to hold the snake, they are not slimy at all. Maybe something like that might help you get over your fear.

Guest Lisado

Hi

We have a pet snake Iggy (he just turned up after 5 months on the run - was under our washing machine). I wasn't keen on snakes at all and I thought I was mad to let Alex (son) have one for his birhtday. We had him 3 years now and I love him. It took me a while - but I forced myself to hold him and now I dont mind at all. Maybe if you go to a local reptile / pet shop and ask to stroke / hold a corn snake (super friendly) then it might help you to get over your fears.

I do know how you feel. I am terrified of spiders - dreading them over there. I promised my son I would hold a tarantula, to get over my fear before oz - that was about a year ago. The most I have managed is a zebra spider (tiny wee thing) and that sent my heart racing. I have also looked at tarantula when someone else held it - so I am getting there :unsure:

Lisa

Guest Trakki

If noise works to scare them off I can lend you my 3 year old!! She is sooooo loud there will be no snakes within a 100K radius!!:biglaugh:

Seriously though we have been here 8 months and not seen any in the wild, did have a scare one day but it was a blue tongue lizard whose head looks like a snakes, it couldn't get out of the garden quick enough.

I've seen several snakes in my time here, both in the suburbs and up in the hills. I'd suggest you have a read about them on this site ....... http://www.venomsupplies.com/dangerous-snakes/

Snakes should be taken VERY seriously. They can and do get in the strangest of places. A snake catcher told me a couple of years ago about catching a red bellied black that had got itself wrapped around someone's loo, under the rim! I've seen a few very large brown snakes in Morphett Vale and Woodcroft and up in the hills, and saw an enormous red bellied black in Bains Road, Woodcroft a few years ago. As someone said they do also live in the sand dunes so don't ever let small children go playing in the dunes at the beach.

The more knowledge you have about snakes the better you will be able to deal with one when you come across one. And NEVER, EVER try to catch one yourself, that's the quickest way to get yourself bitten. And also NEVER, EVER touch a dead snake, they still have venom in their fangs and just a small scratch can kill you.

Guest WhiteleyPoms

We've only been here 8 months and have seen 4 already. The first was an Eastern Brown snake in our garden! We heard a lot of noise in a bush 10 minutes before my sons friends were due to arrive for his pool party - it was the snake - about 1.5 metres long that had just caught a blue tongued lizard!! Very scarey stuff considering it was right by the pool where the kids were due to play.

The second was at Cleland Park (a fantastic place to visit) - it was another Brown snake that we pumped into - our 4 year old spotted it - ended up slithering between us - in a hurry thank goodness.

Saw another one dead at the end of our road and the fourth one was dead too - on Kangaroo iskand.

So they are here but if you are careful you'll be fine - just don't have too many rocks, bushes and long grass in your garden!

Guest kangomik

Just to re-mention, if you do have kids don't let them run off in the long grass, we have a spare plot at the side of work and apparently its full of them.

We have relies in Brisbane, they often get snakes, one morning was greeted by 8ft python across the front door.

They had noise in the roof space once (possums probably) he saw a snake on the roof one day, few days later the noise stopped, a month later the snake left!

I have heard tales of them being under trucks and machines while you work on them, but its more bush way.

For basic everyday living theres not a lot to fear, as said, just be aware. If you or your get bitten you need to know what type of snake it was, so Cleland would be a good chance to look at the different colours.

Guest Jo&Phil

I've been here 6 years and have never seen a snake here - despite walking (large and noisy) dog in woodland etc. When I was in the UK I saw several adders and grass snakes but ..... not here.

They are definitely here as they are in the UK but, for most of us, they are not a daily occurance. Try not to worry too much about this although your aversion therapy is good to make you feel more comfortable about the thought of snakes.

Well if you live closer in to the city on the plains, it is more built up and no snakes.

This is untrue. There are well documented instances of snakes being found in the city itself and in suburbs on the plains. I can recall several TV news items regarding snakes within the CBD itself, including one in Topham Mall car park - Waymouth Street, and this one in Currie Street a couple of years ago ..................

POLICE officers apprehended a very slippery suspect yesterday in the city - a venomous black snake.

A woman reported seeing a red belly black snake slithering under a car in a Currie St car park about 3pm.

A couple of workers armed with brooms tried to restrain the reptile but when it was identified as poisonous a snake catcher was called.

About 40 minutes later the snake was taken into custody and released at a more appropriate location, police said. Source http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22904185-2682,00.html

And there was another in Jetty Road, Glenelg. We had a snake in the factory where I work in Camden Park last summer.

Snakes get everywhere. Be aware of that.

Not as rare as you may believe " In and around Adelaide, the number of snakes caught and relocated by snake removalists, numbers from 500 to 1500 per year. "

I was merely pointing out one of the most recent newsworthy items reiterating that snakes do get right into the CBD. Most of the callouts are to private dwellings and I assume a residential householder would not call the media to alert them of a brown in their backyard!

Here is an excellent read about snakes http://www.heyne.com.au/gardencentre/factsheets/factsheet.php/Snakes.htm