Bordertown - Tatiara??

Guest Lisado

Guest Lisado

Hi all

There is a potential job I could do way way out in the sticks, in Bordertown. Does anyone know what that area is like? I looked on the Net and Street View but I couldnt find any houses to rent. It is in th emiddle of nowhere - I quite like that thought after living in towns!

If anyone has any info, I would be very grateful

Thanks, Lisa

Guest Jo&Phil

Bordertown is the last main stop out of Adelaide on the quick (ish - ie: 8 hours) way to Melbourne. It's closer to Adelaide being about 2.5 or so hours from Adelaide

It's a country town and these are not like the same in the UK as they tend to have much reduced level of shops (you wouldn't find major department stores or big range of national branded stores) and lower level of services ..... ie: major surgery means going to Adelaide.

Perfectly nice, good community feel etc but ...... may be more isolated than you're used to in terms of services/entertainment/facilities etc

Main claim to fame = previous Australian Premier Bob Hawke = border town born and bred!

Guest Lisado

Thanks for that. It looks really nice and miles from anywhere. Be a shock to the system but we could getused to it (I hope). Fingers crossed on the job :v_SPIN:

Guest Jo&Phil

Well it wouldn't necessarily be for ever ....... a few years in the country and explore to find out where you really want to be

Good luck with the job

I don't want to sound negative because some people might love living in a place like Bordertown, but have you been to Australia before and visited any country towns?

They are pretty different from British ones, ie much more remote and much more old fashioned. I have heard stories of British people getting jobs in such rural communities and only lasting a couple of days!! Bordertown grew up because of its position on the main road to Melbourne. My husband used to drive a coach there every day as apart of an Adelaide-Melbourne bus service. Used to love the food at the roadhouse!

I think you need to think hard about what you won't have living out there in the middle of nowhere, and work out if you can cope without it, and how hard it will be to set up a new life being so far away from Adelaide. You won't have decent shops and supermarkets (lots of poms think Adelaide is bad!), the beach, the cafe lifestyle, restaurants, cinemas, things to do at the weekend. Plus you won't have the PIA network close by (Adelaide is a 3 hour drive), you won't be able to go to meet ups and get to know other PIA members.

Have you had a look around on Google Street View? Woolshed St seems to be the main shopping street, could you live with that? Is that what you are moving for? Your answer may be yes, in which case fine, but it really is the middle of nowhere and it's not the most scenic place in the world either. Just flat country. I honestly don't want to put you off, as a job in Bordertown is probably better than no job in Adelaide, but I reckon it would be much more difficult than moving to Adelaide.

Guest Lisado

First of all - I don't want to upset anyone on here. I have had some superb advice from members on PIA and I can't wait to meet them but to be honest we are moving to Australia to intergrate with the Australians and English alike. I don't necessarily want to live by the beach. I live 10 minutes from the beach here and 3/4 hour away from some of the most beautiful coastlines in the world - Northumberland. My husband is from a tiny village in South Africa and we prefer the highlands of Scotland to Edinburgh!

My question was to those people who may have lived / worked or visited Bordertown and the Tatiara District from which I gather from reading texts, is a nice place, great community and phenomenal history. It is rural and I like that idea as I don't have to feel like I need to live in a heavily populated area. I know there will be those of you thinking "wait until she gets here" but I am prepared for what it may be like in the rural areas. I have thoroughly researched every part of South Australia and I am prepared to live where the jobs are.

We had decided on an area and got the kids into a fantastic school, however, after reading posts of people moving back or struggling due to lack of work then I will go where I can find a job which pays well, despite it being in the back of beyond, than in a suburb of Adelaide unable to feed my family.

No worries, sounds like you have looked into it. Peoples expectations vary a huge amount so I just thought it worth pointing out that Australian country life is nothing like English country life. The distances are so much bigger, there isn't a village every few miles with a church and a village pub and plenty of public footpaths. Places can be much more remote, and some areas are pretty flat, monotonous and quite harsh (but then I am a soft namby pamby southerner! ).:biglaugh:

Good luck, my husband always said that the people who ran the roadhouse at Bordertown were some of the nicest people you could meet.